The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No interest in Grant.

Some people are gonna disagree with this, but I'd rather have an all-offense/no-defense player than an all-defense/no-offense player. Most NBA teams do not have 5 dominant scorers on the floor at once, so you can usually hide a guy or two defensively. Unfortunately, you cannot hide a no-offense player unless they are an elite passer/cutter, it would kill our ball-movement. Hard to move the ball effectively when the defense knows they don't have to defend one guy. Plus Grant at the 3 would mean having a guy on the floor who the defense isnt' going to extend past 15 feet to guard. That's a problem.

Comment

• Why would you trade key assets and resign Lowry. I just don't understand the logic . Masai wants a tougher backup center- Perkins fits that roll. Hansborough , Buycks, Decolo, stone+ AB TPE totals 7.8 million( $9.3 for Perkins).

Salmons+ Amir Johnson + TPE for Gay (18.5 ) = David Lee + Harrison Barnes

KLowry, DD, Barnes, Lee, JV
      Vasquez, 1st pick, TRoss, Patterson ,Perkins
      1st round pick (OKC) , Novak , Hayes, Fields , 2nd Round ( PG - Russ Smith or Clarkson).

2015/16- Next year 21.5 million lopped off the cap. Would you rather resign Aj or Perkins, as a bench reserve.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
        Why would you trade key assets and resign Lowry. I just don't understand the logic . Masai wants a tougher backup center- Perkins fits that roll. Hansborough , Buycks, Decolo, stone+ AB TPE totals 7.8 million( $9.3 for Perkins).

Salmons+ Amir Johnson + TPE for Gay (18.5 ) = David Lee + Harrison Barnes

KLowry, DD, Barnes, Lee, JV
        Vasquez, 1st pick, TRoss, Patterson ,Perkins
        1st round pick (OKC) , Novak , Hayes, Fields , 2nd Round ( PG - Russ Smith or Clarkson).

2015/16- Next year 21.5 million lopped off the cap. Would you rather resign Aj or Perkins, as a bench reserve.
        Why would GSW do that? They're rumoured to be going after Love with Lee + other assets...why would they settle just for Amir Johnson? For David Lee and Harrison Barnes? That's an atrocious deal for them.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          Yeah, I agree, and I don't see Ujiri giving up any core assets to move up. The higher picks are likely unavailable or far too costly. The ones in the 10-15 range are also probably not that much better than what we're getting at 20, and still a longshot to be better than any asset(s) we'd give up.
          exactly. Thats what intrigues me about trading down because is the 25-30ish range really such downgrade then our current 20 in a draft like this? The New England patriots(I hate them but they are one of the best managed teams in sports) are notorious for this and even though its a completely different sport, this years draft is kind of similar to a NFL draft in that you can get great value and production from a late first round/early second pick. I'm not sure what could get in return for #20 but getting an asset and still being able to draft someone like early, mcgary or whoever would be great
          "you can't be playing checkers, on no chess board yoo!" - D'angelo

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Why would GSW do that? They're rumoured to be going after Love with Lee + other assets...why would they settle just for Amir Johnson? For David Lee and Harrison Barnes? That's an atrocious deal for them.
            Actually that is a 2 steps ahead type of move for GSW. Love has already expressed his love to play for GSW! With salmons and Amirs contracts up, and Love being 2015 FA that will give GSW plenty of room to go after him all the whole using Amir as a short term replacement for Lee (defensive upgrade)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• ball4life wrote: View Post
              Actually that is a 2 steps ahead type of move for GSW. Love has already expressed his love to play for GSW! With salmons and Amirs contracts up, and Love being 2015 FA that will give GSW plenty of room to go after him all the whole using Amir as a short term replacement for Lee (defensive upgrade)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              It's never a good sign when you're giving up more assets than you're getting back.

First off, there is literally no reason whatsoever for them to include Barnes in that deal. None.*EDIT: At the very least if the deal had any chance, it very likely would not include Barnes. And if it didn't, not sure Toronto cares to make that deal. They'd lose some D, and more importantly, one of their leaders on that end, for an offensive player...they'd have to totally reform their identity. That's a tough sell.

Second off, they can probably get more useful return for Lee. In fact, the big spot they have more trouble with is C because of Bogut's constant injury issues. They could probably get better return even if they want to get some cap relief for 2015 to chase Love.

It's still just a terrible deal. Shedding two of your best assets for the hope that the cap space you get back will help you get a guy that maybe half the league will be targeting next summer.

They have a year to make a deal to get rid of Lee that would net them or help them pursue Love. There's gotta be something better than that.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Mon May 26, 2014, 10:20 PM.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
                That lineup is gonna have a hella difficult time scoring the ball. You have one guy who can create a shot.
                its the same as now except derozan isnt there. this is a unit with 2 bench players on it, im pretty sure they could tear up other teams bench units
                I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Put GV in instead of Lowry? That could have some shot creation.
                  The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

• RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
                    Put GV in instead of Lowry? That could have some shot creation.
                    lol what?

Lowry can create better then GV

GV shoots x1000 when he's in
                    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                      lol what?

Lowry can create better then GV

GV shoots x1000 when he's in
                      maybe throw big balls in for ross. 2 pg linup with defense and spacing and interior presence
                      I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

• Love when a person says they can get a better deal , GSW will not trade in conference . So where do you trade Lee to unload salary . Lee is not going to be picked up by himself . Very few teams have room and Kerr is not buying a player that slows Splash City. Philadelphia, Orlando . Please provide another team in the East that GSW can receive a 10.5 million opening in salary, with a TPE plus 6 million savings plus a starting PF on a one year contract.

Comment

• Heatdreamer wrote: View Post
                          Love when a person says they can get a better deal , GSW will not trade in conference . So where do you trade Lee to unload salary . Lee is not going to be picked up by himself . Very few teams have room and Kerr is not buying a player that slows Splash City. Philadelphia, Orlando . Please provide another team in the East that GSW can receive a 10.5 million opening in salary, with a TPE plus 6 million savings plus a starting PF on a one year contract.
                          Well, considering they actually NEED an inside presence to run their halfcourt O, where without a pivot in the post it becomes really hard to get quality opportunities on the perimeter. None of their perimeter players are particularly good inside players either, so they can't run it out of Iggy or Thompson.

Trading for Boozer would give them a much better offensive fit than Amir, and clear off plenty of capspace. *Would Chicago do it? Maybe after they don't get Melo, and maybe want to give something like that a try. Heck, if GSW includes Barnes, Chicago may send them both their 1st round picks this year, who would be on cheap deals and could be very nice assets for GSW.

If they're willing to give up Barnes, they could also consider picking up Bass and Green from Boston. Bass is a solid all around player, and Green would give them a more consistent version of what they hope to get from Barnes. And again, they'd clear off plenty of capspace. (obviously assuming that if Green has a decent season he opts out to sign a new deal)

Cleveland is always a wildcard, because they're desperate to make the playoffs. A deal starting with Varejao and Thompson for Lee and possibly Barnes would give them a young PF, a veteran F/C (if they choose to keep him next year)...Thompson would be a RFA, but if they know Love is interested and says he'll go there if they can clear space, they probably don't care about renouncing his rights, and if they can find the space without doing that, they can re-sign a young athletic big to backup/pair with Love.

Orlando could easily put together a package for Lee. Especially if capspace is the key. This would include next offseason, where Orlando could trade a TPE covering all of Lee's contract, and Orlando could have plenty of young assets to deal if GSW prefers that (including possibly 2 lottery picks from this year's draft, though I doubt they trade whoever they take at #4).

Those are just random examples off the top of my head. I don't see the incentive to really be attracted to Amir for one year when their backs aren't pressed against the wall to get anything done. They were a good team with Lee, including on D. He was not the problem. The problem was that their other bigs were all injured too much, or were Mareese Speights.

The thing is, if GSW is doing any trade to go after Love, they have no incentive to shed Lee right now for a move they'll make in a year, and lots of things can change between now and then.

*Also, it's hilarious to hear someone criticize the "they can get a better deal" thing and then say the "will not trade in own conference" thing. It happens. It's not common, but it does happen.
                          Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue May 27, 2014, 12:13 AM.

Comment

• Windmill @1:38 OMG

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              Windmill @1:38 OMG

He actually looks pretty good lol
                              I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

• GLF wrote: View Post
                                He actually looks pretty good lol
                                Why are you saying that like it's surprising?

Comment

Working...
                                X