The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comment

• Watching this Syracuse game right now. Ennis is tremendous.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Bilas: Tyler Ennis is absolutely unflappable. He's the best freshman point guard, by far. I wonder if he's cracked a smile yet. Impressive.
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• MONSTER game for Embiid. 13pts 11rbs 8blks.

Wiggins on the other hand struggled big time. 3pts 2rbs 1ast.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
            MONSTER game for Embiid. 13pts 11rbs 8blks.

Embiid is crazy skilled, old school dude.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Raise your hand if you've heard of Chadrack Lufile....I'd call BS on 99% of you

Compare the 6-9 Lufile's Missouri Valley-only numbers from last season against those from this season (per Statsheet.com), and the difference is striking. His minutes more than doubled ... and his per-minute production more than doubled:

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2qfSDvnW1
              *Raises hand*

With both Lufile and Nick Wiggins, I think most people who follow Canadian basketball closely keep tabs on Wichita State. It's interesting that there are a bunch of Canadian seniors this year who probably won't get drafted but could find their way into the league through d-league or through europe. Lufile, Heslip, Ejim, Posthumus, and Rivard all fit that.

Comment

Bilas: Tyler Ennis is absolutely unflappable. He's the best freshman point guard, by far. I wonder if he's cracked a smile yet. Impressive.
                Looks like Ennis will play himself into lottery rumors by March if he keeps it up --- that sucks as a Raptors fan. But good for him -- go get those checks.

Comment

• From NBA Insider:

"Australia's Dante Exum and Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart are widely considered to be the top two point guard prospects expected to be in the 2014 NBA draft.

But a closer look at the makeup of the projected draft lottery reveals that unless either player sneaks into the top 3 and is drafted above a Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid or Andrew Wiggins, they could be in for a draft-day slide.

You might be wondering why this could be. After all, ESPN's NBA draft insider Chad Ford lists Exum No. 5 and Smart No. 6 on his latest Big Board, and both players should be prime targets along with Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon for picks No. 4-6.

The question is whether any of the teams in the 4-10 slots will even be looking to add a point guard.

Consider this: The two teams with the greatest need for point guard among those in the projected lottery, Milwaukee and Orlando, also happen to have the two worst records in the game. If that holds up, there's a decent chance both will end up with top 3 picks, meaning they'll have a chance at Parker, Embiid or Wiggins.

If that happens and the Bucks and Magic go with "best player available" over positional need, there aren't many other teams with huge point guard needs in the rest of the projected lottery. Utah has Trey Burke, Philadelphia has Michael Carter-Williams. Cleveland has Kyrie Irving. Denver gets New York's pick but they're already set with Ty Lawson. The same goes for Atlanta, which gets Brooklyn's pick but already is locked up with Jeff Teague long-term. Boston has Rajon Rondo. Memphis has Mike Conley. Minnesota has Ricky Rubio. New Orleans sends their pick to Philly, and has Jrue Holiday anyways. Detroit is invested in Brandon Jennings through 2015-16. And Dallas is on the hook with Jose Calderon through 2016-17. "

If Exum or Smart dropped, as imagined above, how hard do the Raps push to trade up? If they were picking 24th, could they move up to 11 or 12, assuming Exum or Smart were available? Do they have the assets to move up?

Comment

• As an Aussie I'd love if the raptors somehow landed Exum. I just hope he manages to avoid the Bucks. Such a boring franchise and I already had to endure Bogut going #1 there. Anywhere but there please!

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                      From NBA Insider:

"Australia's Dante Exum and Oklahoma State's Marcus Smart are widely considered to be the top two point guard prospects expected to be in the 2014 NBA draft.

But a closer look at the makeup of the projected draft lottery reveals that unless either player sneaks into the top 3 and is drafted above a Jabari Parker, Joel Embiid or Andrew Wiggins, they could be in for a draft-day slide.

You might be wondering why this could be. After all, ESPN's NBA draft insider Chad Ford lists Exum No. 5 and Smart No. 6 on his latest Big Board, and both players should be prime targets along with Julius Randle and Aaron Gordon for picks No. 4-6.

The question is whether any of the teams in the 4-10 slots will even be looking to add a point guard.

Consider this: The two teams with the greatest need for point guard among those in the projected lottery, Milwaukee and Orlando, also happen to have the two worst records in the game. If that holds up, there's a decent chance both will end up with top 3 picks, meaning they'll have a chance at Parker, Embiid or Wiggins.

If that happens and the Bucks and Magic go with "best player available" over positional need, there aren't many other teams with huge point guard needs in the rest of the projected lottery. Utah has Trey Burke, Philadelphia has Michael Carter-Williams. Cleveland has Kyrie Irving. Denver gets New York's pick but they're already set with Ty Lawson. The same goes for Atlanta, which gets Brooklyn's pick but already is locked up with Jeff Teague long-term. Boston has Rajon Rondo. Memphis has Mike Conley. Minnesota has Ricky Rubio. New Orleans sends their pick to Philly, and has Jrue Holiday anyways. Detroit is invested in Brandon Jennings through 2015-16. And Dallas is on the hook with Jose Calderon through 2016-17. "

If Exum or Smart dropped, as imagined above, how hard do the Raps push to trade up? If they were picking 24th, could they move up to 11 or 12, assuming Exum or Smart were available? Do they have the assets to move up?
                      I remember reading about how Ujiri was extremely high on Exum, and have already thought that he will try to move up to acquire him. Based on his desire to have a young and potential filled bench, somehow getting Exum to be the backup PG would be huge!

But unless he slips to around 10th pick, as the article supposes, it won't be possible. I highly doubt that he will slip as most teams don't pick simply based on need, but largely on best player available.

Also, why aren't the Lakers mentioned in that article? They are a likely lottery team, and currently have deep needs at PG. With Nash, Blake, and Farmar injured, they are relying on an unproven Marshall to lead the team. They wouldn't jump at the opportunity for a high ceiling PG in the draft?
                      http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

MONSTER game for Embiid. 13pts 11rbs 8blks.

Baby Olajuwon you say? I wonder who has a higher ceiling, Valanciunas or Embiid?
                        “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                          Baby Olajuwon you say? I wonder who has a higher ceiling, Valanciunas or Embiid?
                          Embiid, without much doubt. Embiid is all about ceiling.

One could make an argument that JV will turn out better though.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Embiid has fluid movement where as JV's is mechanical. That "Dream Shake" he pulled = WOW.
                            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

• torch19 wrote: View Post
                              Embiid has fluid movement where as JV's is mechanical. That "Dream Shake" he pulled = WOW.
                              Its all about footwork. Olajuwon always looked like he was walking on clouds.
                              “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                                I don't really see that scenario happening, those guys are just too good to drop that far. However, if it does, then the benefit might be a domino effect where all the PGs slide a bit. While moving up high enough to grab Exum or Smart might not be possible, moving up to grab Ennis dropping to the mid teens should be doable. This is potentially such a deep PG class: Exum, Smart, Ennis, Christon, LaVine, Micic, Carson, Clarkson, Napier, Hanlan, Burton... all those guys have potential to make an impact. (Not all thsoe guys will declare for this year, of course). Anyway, packaging that early second-rounder might be enough to move up into the late teens, but there will be some very good PG prospects available when we draft.

Comment

Working...
                                X