• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chat with Chad Ford

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50317
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Chad Ford chat from today snippets. Not posting anything about top 5-6 picks. And still leaving some stuff out, but here's a bunch of stuff on guys I've seen discussed around here and who may be available with the Raptors picks (in either round).

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/50317

Where is Kyle Anderson gonna get drafted?

Chad Ford (1:08 PM)

May be the single hardest guy for me to get my arms around right now. Some NBA scouts love him. I mean, really love him. Others don't like him at all. He's a very unique player. He won't fit on every team and it will ultimately come down to having a coach that believes in what he can, is willing to put the basketball in his hands and let him be who is -- a 6-9 point guard. If a team tries to turn him into something else, I think they'll be very disappointed. I think he goes somewhere between 10-35. That's the widest range I have for any player in the draft.
      Where does Shabazz Napier end up? How much has his draft stock rised because of the NCAA Tournament?

Chad Ford (1:16 PM)

Good question. He's been, arguably, the best player in the NCAA tournament to date. He's hit clutch shot after clutch shot for UConn, has a sick handle and has willed UConn to the Final Four. But again, do you take four games and let that tell his story, or do you look at his four year career at UConn? Napier has gotten better. Much better. He's having a terrific senior season. But there are still legit questions about his position in the pros (he's more of a two guard at heart), his lack of size and lack of elite athletic ability, and his penchant, for much of his career at UConn, for playing selfishly. With that said, NBA scouts love winners and Napier has been carrying this team on his back at the right time. His stock has improved to the point that I think some teams would take him in the late first round. But I'm concerned they're overvaluing this run.
      How much has the stock of the Harrison Twins risen?

Chad Ford (1:20 PM)

They've played great. They've quieted the doubters. They've proven that you shouldn't write off heralded freshman just because they get off to a slow start. But I still think both players, despite their strong play for UK in the tournament are bubble first rounders. Aaron Harrison has always been in that place. I don't think his stock has moved much all year. Andrew was once considered a Top 10 pick and his stock has obviously fallen. He's helped it in the past two weeks (scouts will always find ways to give 6-5 point guards a second and third look) but he's not cracking the lottery. I hope they go back to school and really dominate next year. If they declare, they are likely late first rounders to early second rounders.
      Should Zach LaVine have declared for the draft? I foresee a trip to the D-League based on his abilities at this point. Is a team really willing to use their first round pick in this year's draft on a project like him?

Chad Ford (1:26 PM)

He probably should have stayed at UCLA. He needs to add strength and get more experience. He's not ready to be an impact player in the NBA. But I understand why he did it. The coaches son is playing point guard. He may not have started next year and even if he did, it would be out of position. NBA teams love his shooting ability and explosiveness athletically. He has tremendous upside. Someone will take him in the second half of the first round. He may play in the D-League, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, especially if he gets minutes at the point. He's a long-term play and I think a pretty good one.
      Has Rodney Hood said anything about the draft?

Chad Ford (1:27 PM)

Not officially, but he's strongly leaning toward declaring for the draft. I'd be shocked if he doesn't declare.
      Thoughts about Stauskas? Is his defense that bad? Should MIN go for him with the N13 pick if Harris is already taken? (I assume MIN will go for the best SG available)

Chad Ford (1:31 PM)

He can shoot. That means he'll get minutes right away. His defense isn't horrible, but he's never going to be a lock down defender. But teams genuinely love his quick release and his ability to handle the ball and create for himself and others. He'll go somewhere in that 13-20 range.
      So can McDermott succeed in the NBA or not? Part of me says a guy who's 6'8" and can fill it up like that will find a way. Another part doesn't see how he'll be able to keep up with the pace and defensive expectation

Chad Ford (1:34 PM)

Define succeed. He's sort of like goat cheese and bruschetta. He's not for everyone. But if you can appreciate what he does well -- he can really shoot the basketball and has the IQ to find good looks -- he can be contributor in the NBA. But he's going to struggle to defend. And if you are drafting him thinking he's scoring 25 ppg in the NBA, you're going to be really disappointed.
      Can Patric Young have any legitimate impact in the NBA? Looks like a stud but has ZERO offensive game!

Chad Ford (1:36 PM)

He can rebound. He can defend. He doesn't make a lot of mistakes and he has a NBA body. Sounds to me like a NBA big man who gets 10-15 minutes a night in the NBA. That's a valuable get in the late first or second round.
      Hey Chad, is Clint Capela this years Giannis? Have you heard what teams like him?

Chad Ford (1:48 PM)

He's not the mystery that Giannis was. Plays for Chalon. Has been putting up impressive numbers this season. He's scheduled to play at the Nike Hoop Summit next weekend which will give scouts an up close and personal look at him. If he plays really well there, he's probably a lottery pick.
      What is Elfrid Payton's draft range? And is his teammate Shawn Long more of a 2015 prospect? Or would he crack the first round if he came out this year?

Chad Ford (1:53 PM)

Payton is really intriguing. 20-40 range. Great athlete. Quick. Has length. Not a great shooter and needs to add strength. Long is a real sleeper. Think he might be able to crack the first round next year and would be a legit second rounder this year if he declared.
      Heard anything on Jerami Grant? Has been very quiet on that front, do you think he's leaning towards staying another year?

Chad Ford (1:54 PM)

Still deciding. He's a late lottery to mid first rounder if he declares. He obviously needs to improve his skill set. He's really just a great athlete with a great motor right now. But teams are intrigued.

Comment

• 3inthekeon wrote: View Post
        Don't understand this at all. The big schools, which almost always get the premium recruits, can well afford to pay, the lesser schools will get the leftovers offering only scholarships, just as they do now.
        That's one of the reasons. Because of title 9 in the states, schools are required by law to spend an equal ammount of money on both men's and women's athletic programs. Schools simply would not be able to afford that (only 10-15 schools actually make significant profits from their athletics). But fair enough, schools don't have money to pay athletes, fine. They're still getting scholarship money.

My beef is with their requirement that players not profit from their athletic abilities and can't use their likeness to make a living. There is no logical explanation for why a kid can't make an appearance at a mall, sign some autographs and be paid for it. Most of these players are just scraping by (Arian Foster himself attested to that in a recent article). Meanwhile then NCAA makes billions (that's right, with a B) off their games, images and likenesses. You dont eant to pay them? Fine, just let these guys make their own money.
        A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• NBA scouts believe Jabari Parker will return to Duke

Link: http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-...return-to-duke

Comment

• Did Now Know Adreian Payne could dunk like this

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• so its settled...

we take Stauskus Patric Young and Thanassis
              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
                so its settled...

we take Stauskus Patric Young and Thanassis
                No to Patric Young. I'd rather have Acy back than Young to be honest. Stauskas, Napier and Thanassis is fine though.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                  Did Now Know Adreian Payne could dunk like this

I am looking forward to seeing this guys offical measurments at the NBA combine.
                  Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                    No to Patric Young. I'd rather have Acy back than Young to be honest. Stauskas, Napier and Thanassis is fine though.
                    I'd be happy with TJ Warren, Capella and Russ Smith. All achievable targets, all within our range, all fill a need.
                    A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                      I'd be happy with TJ Warren, Capella and Russ Smith. All achievable targets, all within our range, all fill a need.
                      Sound like Capella will be going in the range of our first rounder.
                      "Bruno?
                      Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                        Sound like Capella will be going in the range of our first rounder.
                        Exactly. And I think Warren could be had with in the late 1st/early 2nd

Comment

• e_wheazhy_ wrote: View Post
                          Exactly. And I think Warren could be had with in the late 1st/early 2nd
                          ah i see. nice.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

stooley wrote: View Post
                            ah i see. nice.
                            What do you think of him? Haven't seen many NC State games but the couple I have seen he seems really NBA ready, killer instinct, good finisher but needs to be quicker and more athletic to guard other 3s.

I wouldn't mind Cleanthony Early actually, but I feel like he'll be a step slower than TJ at first.

Comment

• Jerami Grant or Clint Capela

Both look good as a SF project

Comment

• Doesn't he have TRex arms

Comment

Working...
                                X