The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magoon wrote: View Post
    Chadrack Lufile? I mean, yeah, he's Canadian, but he was bench for Wichita State.

Oh well, gotta give the Canucks a try, I guess.
    Some guys are brought in to allow for good numbers of players in drills, if you want to see guys play a little 2 on 2 or 3 on 3, you need numbers, yo don't want your NBA guys in there mixing it up.
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Another Canuck!

Comment

• If we drafted Ennis, would our rotations work out?

Lowry-Ennis
        DeRozan-Vasquez
        Ross-pick/sign? (VC)
        Amir-PattersonJV-pick/sign?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Workouts start today, 4 Canadians in the first group, Ennis being the big name, but Bachinski there as well. I hope we get to see some video from the workout.
          Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Full list here:
            http://blog.raptors.com/raptors-pre-...ants-may-28th/
            Myself (March 2014):
            The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

I was hoping that Ennis was workout against Appling but, his not. Two different workouts.

Also a fan of Appling. I think he should be a candidate for that late first round pick.
              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Interesting to see them taking a look at Posthumus. Lead the NCAA in rebounds for a good chunk of the season and finished fourth overall. I don't think he's a draft candidate right now, but if they like him in workouts, I could see them giving him a summer league spot.
                11 RPG (4th in NCAA), 4.3 OFF (2nd), 17.1 RP40 (1st)
                Last edited by octothorp; Thu May 29, 2014, 12:38 PM.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                  I was hoping that Ennis was workout against Appling but, his not. Two different workouts.

Also a fan of Appling. I think he should be a candidate for that late first round pick.
                  You mean late 2nd, right? He's unlikely to get drafted.
                  twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                    You mean late 2nd, right? He's unlikely to get drafted.
                    Yeah, that's what I meant. I personally feel like he was poorly used at MSU. The kid in a blur in the open court. Good defender. He just can't shoot a lick. I think he'd be great value at 59

Defensively, Appling may struggle at times against bigger guards, especially ones who can shoot over him. However, he has decent strength to not allow himself to be backed down and has great lateral quickness, keeping ball handlers in front of him. He can cut off penetration and puts great pressure on the ball.

Appling's value lies in his ability to play solid defense, not make mistakes, and score occasionally in transition. He shows solid potential as a backup point guard, although it will be interesting to see if the faster pace of the NBA helps him break out of the often vanilla style of play he mostly showcased under Tom Izzo. While an improved jump shot will raise his ceiling as a player, Appling could carve out a nice role in the league by playing to his strengths, being a steady ball-handler and continuing to distribute the ball to his teammates while leading a second unit.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz337lunFK2
                    http://www.draftexpress.com

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                      the thing is though, we could have our pick of any player ranked 20 or below.

the rest hinges on Masai and on luck.
                      Heavy on the luck. I can't imagine 20 other GM's making the first 20 picks in each of those years on that list didn't do their homework. Well hey, if we use the pick, we have as much opportunity to get lucky as the next team.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                        Heavy on the luck. I can't imagine 20 other GM's making the first 20 picks in each of those years on that list didn't do their homework. Well hey, if we use the pick, we have as much opportunity to get lucky as the next team.
                        Definitely includes an element of luck.

But not everyone is as competent. If you are a teacher with 20 kids in your class, all kids will not put the same work into an assignment, and even if they did, all kids would not produce the same result.

Comment

• Here's a interesting conversation mcgary vs strokes ? Thoughts

Comment

• The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

McGary had back surgery, smokes weed and is 2 years older < Stokes

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Definitely includes an element of luck.

But not everyone is as competent. If you are a teacher with 20 kids in your class, all kids will not put the same work into an assignment, and even if they did, all kids would not produce the same result.
                              True. What I mean is that if you look at MixAaor's list of good players that were picked after the 20th pick and consider they were for all drafted by different teams (or most, I don't have the list in front of me) and by different GM's, you can be confident in saying that the pick turned out good due to luck than research. Like 20 other GM's didn't know something that that particular GM, in that particular draft did. What were the picks made by the same GM's in corresponding drafts or prior drafts for that matter? Probably narrows the list of success rate quite a bit I'm guessing.

My impression is that the most likely outcome is you could get a decent rotation guy that helps your bench with the 20th pick. If you're lucky there will be somebody there that can replace a weak area of your roster like the back up SF or SG spots that's an upgrade to Salmons and Fields, but it's not going to be someone that blows you away and makes you a contender (unless you are lucky). So in my opinion you either try to move up the draft to find someone that you think can take the spot of an existing starter and be better than the curren one or you use that pick in a trade for a better starter. Obviously it's not easy to do, but if the opprotunity is there and you're not depleting your assets completely, then I'd like to see Masaii be a bit aggressive.

Comment

• @JLew1050: Ujiri on Ennis: "Fantastic kid. Very professional & carries himself the right way. You see his demeanour & I think he'll make a good pro"

@JLew1050: Masai said he and his staff have been tracking Ennis for a long time. Open to all scenarios, including possibly trading up to land him

@JLew1050: After all the hype, Masai said this draft is a bit overrated. Better than last year but not as deep as first advertised. Strength is at SG

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X