X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
    If I was GM I'd still go best player available over best fit

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk
    Therein lies the problem with most drafts. Outside of the top few picks, everybody has a different "best player available".

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Therein lies the problem with most drafts. Outside of the top few picks, everybody has a different "best player available".
      Once we get to the workout stages of the draft I'm sure well get a better picture of where most players will get picked.
      We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

• wow, Jabari got 4 votes for DPOY.. lol.

Comment

• Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
          Once we get to the workout stages of the draft I'm sure well get a better picture of where most players will get picked.
          And it's usually not the workouts that make much difference. I think it's the interviews that have more impact when teams are finalizing their boards. Seeing a guy play in shitty quality halfcourt pickup-style games doesn't help much (since at best workouts are 3-on-3, but even that's not common). Teams just want the chance to talk to a guy directly.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
            wow, Jabari got 4 votes for DPOY.. lol.
            I don't know how that is even possible.....those voters should have their ability to vote revoked forever

Comment

Ugh.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

That's equivalent to Melo getting DPOY votes in the NBA ahhahahahaha
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                  No, we can't amnesty him (or anyone). Trades or buy-outs are the only way.
                  Technically you can "stretch" him. That's an amnesty in that he gets waived but his contract is just shrunk from 1 larger expiring to 3 smaller non-expiring contracts on the books.

I'd rather have him as an expiring.. keep the books clean for 2015.

Comment

• 4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                    The thing I don't like about McDermott is what's his position in the NBA? Is he quick enough to guard 3's? Strong enough to defend 4's?
                    Definitely a concern. McDermott reminds me a lot of Wally Szczerbiak, but a bit more crafty around the rim. I don't like the idea of drafting players who can't defend their position, especially as a first-rounder in a strong draft. You need to get a potential starter and I see McDermott as a high-end bench player. Building a championship core around a defensively flawed player is real challenge - even bonafide MVP level offensive players like Dirk, Nash and Melo.

Comment

• Wally was not a bench player though, he made an allstar team. I think comparing McDermott to Dirk, Nash and Melo is a bit weird, considering most people project Doug to be a role player at NBA level.

Comment

• BigCamB wrote: View Post
                        Wally was not a bench player though, he made an allstar team. I think comparing McDermott to Dirk, Nash and Melo is a bit weird, considering most people project Doug to be a role player at NBA level.
                        I don't think that was his intent. THe comparison he made was to Szczerbiak. That may actually be a very good comparison. And Wally was part of a Minnesota core where his defensive inability was definitely part of their struggles to contend.

That led into the discussion on how difficult it is to build with flawed players who struggle on D. I took it more to mean it doesn't matter if it's a role player like Wally (who was a role player despite some of his stronger years) or a superstar like Dirk/Melo/Nash, if you're going to have defensively weak players it makes it very hard (though not impossible) to build a team that legitimately contends for a championship.

Comment

• I took "build around" and then his listing of the three superstars a bit differently, but you are probably right.
                          Either way, McDermott is a first round pick, that's the thing I had issue with the most. Each year there are a large number of first round failures and busts. McDermott will not be one of those. It's all about fit, hopefully he finds the right situation.

Comment

He did put up almost a block and half and a steal per game, he was not a lock down guy, but he is not as bad as people make it out to be.
                            Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              I don't think that was his intent. THe comparison he made was to Szczerbiak. That may actually be a very good comparison. And Wally was part of a Minnesota core where his defensive inability was definitely part of their struggles to contend.

That led into the discussion on how difficult it is to build with flawed players who struggle on D. I took it more to mean it doesn't matter if it's a role player like Wally (who was a role player despite some of his stronger years) or a superstar like Dirk/Melo/Nash, if you're going to have defensively weak players it makes it very hard (though not impossible) to build a team that legitimately contends for a championship.
                              Thanks, man. That's exactly what I meant. And taking that idea one step further, I think that teams like Indiana and Memphis are showing that if you have 5 starters who can defend their position and are, at a minimum, average on offense, then you don't necessarily need that uber-elite offensive superstar to be a contender, or at least compete at the conference finalist level.

The current version of the Raps have that kind of potential - all 5 starters can defend and score. That's actually rare in the NBA. Think back a few years to where you have a starting lineup of Reggie Evans (team's best rebounder, but can't score) & Bargnani (team's best scorer, but can't rebound). And then you throw Jose Calderon into the mix. That kind of lineup just can't work. Dirk and Tyson Chandler on the Mavs was sort of an exception (but not really), because Chandler is an elite offense player in terms of efficiency, with Dirk compensating Tyson's low usage.
                              Last edited by golden; Wed Mar 12, 2014, 04:57 PM.

Comment

• At where we are slated to pick get me another Patrick P. clone in basketball IQ, temperament and skills and I'll be happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X