The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Wonder where the experts would place Anthony Davis on the big board if he was in the 2014 draft instead (using only his one year at Kentucky to assess).
    I think he'd definitely be in the conversation. Davis was universally considered the #1 in 2012; it wasn't even close, and everybody knew he was going to be a superstar. There's a reason he was named to the 2012 USA Olympic team with a host of superstar players, after all.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
      I think he'd definitely be in the conversation. Davis was universally considered the #1 in 2012; it wasn't even close, and everybody knew he was going to be a superstar. There's a reason he was named to the 2012 USA Olympic team with a host of superstar players, after all.
      Just like Christian Laettner in '92
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
        Chad Ford did a poll of NBA execs/lead scouts (at least one for each team) as to who they'd pick #1:

Wiggins 17, Randle 10, Parker 9, Exum 3.

There really isn't a consensus #1 yet. Money quotes:

Wiggins: "I think he can be a player that plays a lot like Paul George does," one veteran NBA executive told ESPN.com. "He's so smooth that at times it almost looks like he's coasting. But when you watch closer, you just see the game comes so easy to him. With his length and explosiveness, he's going to be able to do whatever he wants once he gets it. And from everything we can gather in looking into his background, he's going to get it. I'm not sure how we could pass on him if we had the No. 1 pick. The other guys might be more ready right now, but in three years, I think he's the best player in this class."

Randle: "I think he's the surest thing in the draft," one GM said. "There's nothing he can't do and there just aren't that many bigs in the NBA with that set of skills. He's going to be a 10-time All-Star and will make a major impact on your team in Year 1. Wiggins might have a little more upside and [Parker] is so attractive as well, but if you take someone else, you're really risking your job."

Parker: "I absolutely love him," a different NBA GM said. "I love guys who just know how to play. Very few players at Jabari's age are so sophisticated about the game. You see how he's reading the floor and how he's thinking the game and you can't help but get excited. I remember when some guys were wringing their hands about Kevin Durant. Does he play defense? Is he an elite athlete? I just saw a killer out there who would do anything to win. I see that in Jabari. Some will worship Wiggins' athleticism. Some will pray to the altar of 'big' with Randle. But Parker's my guy and I don't see that changing."

Exum: "I know everyone is so excited to see Jabari and those guys dominate," a fourth GM told ESPN. "I know the old guard is going to play it safe. But maybe I'm young and foolish, but I think Exum ends up being the guy everyone wishes they took in a few years. All of them are going to be great, but when you watch Exum, you see the ability to be a generational talent. My owner might kill me, but I think you take Exum, regardless of what the other guys do this year. Exum's already proved it to me."
        I find the Paul George comment interesting. The knock on George coming in to the league was he was raw if I remember correct (and he played weak competition in his 1 and only year at Fresno State).

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
          My guess is he'd be somewhere in the Aaron Gordon range. Possibly losing out to Gordon though.
          There's just no appreciation for 21 pts, 11 rebs with 3.6 blks per game anymore.

I like Aaron Gordon, but there is a good chance he's a Derrick Williams clone imo.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
            Just like Christian Laettner in '92
            I believe you're referring to the number THREE pick in the 1992 draft, who made the Olympic team in an era when player roles were much more defined and less fluid than they are now - which is why Shaq wasn't on the original Dream Team despite being a much, much better player and the obvious #1 pick that year. The Dream Team had David Robinson and Patrick Ewing as centers; they didn't want a third.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
              There's just no appreciation for 21 pts, 11 rebs with 3.6 blks per game anymore.

I like Aaron Gordon, but there is a good chance he's a Derrick Williams clone imo.
              Oh, I think Davis game is great, but Nilanka asked based on his NCAA stats, where would he fall? I think he'd be behind the Top 3, plus I think Smart, Exum. Gordon is the next guy and like Davis is a front court player, I think that is where the debate starts. If a team doesn't want a guard and decides to go front court at 4 or 5, then both Gordon and Davis would be the consideration.

magoon wrote: View Post
              I believe you're referring to the number THREE pick in the 1992 draft, who made the Olympic team in an era when player roles were much more defined and less fluid than they are now - which is why Shaq wasn't on the original Dream Team despite being a much, much better player and the obvious #1 pick that year. The Dream Team had David Robinson and Patrick Ewing as centers; they didn't want a third.
              I wasn't referring to the draft spot but rather that the "Dream Team" always seems to take a college stud for educational purposes.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                You're not allowed to use his NBA stats in this hypothetical scenario. The question (re-worded) was, how does Anthony Davis as a 1-year college player, compare to the likes of Wiggins, Randle and Parker?

Comment

• i read somewhere that any of those 3 would have been taken over Davis, which is insane.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• not insane in that i disagree just insane in terms of talent
                    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• gosh i'd sure like some of that talent on our team
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                        The snippet on Exum is interesting. Lots of hype around a guy who's played very little basketball that compares to the level of the other guys. I still don't have a very strong opinion on him. I like the Penny comparisons, and I wouldn't take Penny over any of the other 3 guys at the top of this draft. So to me he's still just outside that top 3 bubble. But really, I haven't seen him enough.
                        Penny? Penny Hardaway? Is that who Exum is being compared to?

Penny Hardaway was a GREAT player before all the injuries. If Exum can be that type of player, then i'd put him 2nd behind Wiggins.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

Penny Hardaway was a GREAT player before all the injuries. If Exum can be that type of player, then i'd put him 2nd behind Wiggins.
                          Penny was my boyhood hero. I was a Magic fan growing up (prior to the Raptors' existence).

As a 6'7" point guard, Penny could create off the dribble, had great handles, court vision, could post up smaller defenders (which was always), could hit the 3ball, strong rebounder (for his position) and was a solid defender. Really no weaknesses to his game.....except his fragility.

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post

Yeah, lots of Penny comparisons because Exum is so big. He can probably play either backcourt spot depending on who you line up beside him.

I hear ya, but it's hard to buy those comparisons without seeing him more, and seeing him against the same level of competition as the other guys.

Parker looks great. He's being compared to Melo and Pierce. I think he's closer to Melo, except that IMO it seems like he has better character/intangibles than Melo, which is often the only reason Melo isn't considered a true franchise player.

I might take Exum over Randle, but Randle has definitely shown enough that you know he'll be a beast. Thing is while he rebounds, I'm not convinced he'll be a very good defensive player. This is why I might take Exum. Exum has all the tools of a complete player.

But as I said, I haven't seen enough of Exum against quality competition to have faith that his skills will all translate to the NBA as well as hoped. Despite it being very early in teh process, I see no such doubts with the other 3 guys.

Comment

• penny's a good comparison. people forget how good he was, too.

what he did against the bulls in the playoffs in jordon's prime was absolutely awesome. it was all with Jordon and Pippen guarding him all game too.
                              @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                                Penny was my boyhood hero. I was a Magic fan growing up (prior to the Raptors' existence).

As a 6'7" point guard, Penny could create off the dribble, had great handles, court vision, could post up smaller defenders (which was always), could hit the 3ball, strong rebounder (for his position) and was a solid defender. Really no weaknesses to his game.....except his fragility.
                                Yup. Penny would've been in the HoF if not for all the injuries. He's that good. Sad really, he was one of my childhood hero too back in the 90's.

And everyone knows the 90's was all about Michael Jordan and the Bulls. At one point in the mid 90's, Penny was more popular than Jordan. That's not an easy thing to do. Shows you how good he was.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X