The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• octothorp wrote: View Post
    Oh yeah, I love the passing highlights. In some ways it reminds me a little of the situation around Kendal Marshall: awesome passing and feel for the game, good size for his position, but questionable athletic ability, defense, and jump shot. And for that first year there was a question about whether Marshall was going to be a bust, but now is starting to look pretty solid. Granted, Anderson is a far less conventional player than Marshall, but just some of the same strengths and weaknesses, and it wouldn't surprise me for them to have a similar career trajectory.
    I think Anderson's jumper is fine. He may not be a sharpshooter but it doesn't look like a weakness. Finishing ability is a bigger concern given he's likely to line up at the wing. And again, obviously D is a huge concern.

Comment

• ebrian wrote: View Post
      Sure, it's fair. All is fair in these forums.. just terrible timing for him. Okay, I'm stupid for thinking the rationale behind trading the team's best defender for an oft-chance of drafting a rookie is bad. What makes it good?

Even if the kid is good, it doesn't make it worthwhile to trade Amir Johnson on the reaction of hoping we can stop Joe Johnson next time. This type of deal would only make sense if Brooklyn and Toronto were the only two teams in the NBA, and the reality is Joe Johnson probably can't be guarded every night anyway.
      Without mentioning who we would take with the pick, it might not be a bad idea to deal Amir for another 1st round pick. I say this because Amir only has 1 year left on his contract and I don't see him being resigned if we resign Patterson. Otherwise we're stuck with the same PF combination we have now for the next 3-4 years. It's a small step back with an eye to the future.

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        No rookie we draft is going to start this season coming up. It will be the same starting lineup as last year. Their going to look for players that fit the current roster. I personally believe the picks will defensive guys. I think we can stop all the point guard talk since it seems like both GV and Lowry will be back in the fold. Massai said also there was a need for some more shot blocking. Here are my picks

20. Clint Capela

One of the best shot blockers in the draft. African connection with Masai. Casey wanted Bismack a couple years ago as well. Exact same type of player but probably not as raw. Could develop into a Serge Ibaka type player.

37. Damien Inglis

Good "strong" defender. 6'8 1/2 240bls and his only 19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Interesting that you brought up Biyombo.. wonder if Charlotte would ever consider trading him? He's a good backup center/shot blocker that we are looking for. Charlotte probably wants to continue to win.. so they may prefer a veteran over him anyway.. Hansborough for Biyombo works straight up.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Interesting that you brought up Biyombo.. wonder if Charlotte would ever consider trading him? He's a good backup center/shot blocker that we are looking for. Charlotte probably wants to continue to win.. so they may prefer a veteran over him anyway.. Hansborough for Biyombo works straight up.
          Biyombo for Hansbrough is pretty laughable. It's not like Hansbrough just had this great year, if anything his stock is even lower than last season. He also was given like 5 minutes total all playoffs, which isn't going to help convince Charlotte they want him over their lanky shot blocker.

Maybe Amir for Biyombo and Haywood. That actually makes Charlotte better.

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
            Biyombo for Hansbrough is pretty laughable. It's not like Hansbrough just had this great year, if anything his stock is even lower than last season. He also was given like 5 minutes total all playoffs, which isn't going to help convince Charlotte they want him over their lanky shot blocker.

His value is a lot less than Amir.

If you offered that, they'd more than jump.

I'd offer hansbrough or Novak and maybe OKC 2nd round pick.

I'd stay away from Haywood as he has 2 more years on his contract.

Comment

Just thinking about the North Carolina connection.. and remember we are also talking about Charlotte.. not the best front office in the league.

Comment

• Draftexpress has a new scouting report and video analysis of Damien Inglis up. Doesn't seem to be available on youtube yet so I can't embed it.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damien-Inglis-6428/

Comment

Neither did Biyombo. In fact he had a terrible year because he's a limited player, and Charlotte got Al Jefferson to play his position. He and Tyler have different strengths. No one is going to offer Charlotte anything good for Biyombo. Giving them Amir would be overvaluing him big time.

Oh, they also drafted Cody Zeller last year who should get more minutes as a F/C.

And Hansbrough for Biyombo would save Charlotte a tiny bit of money, and we all know MJ is a cheap bastard.

Comment

• truuth2 wrote: View Post
                    Hi guys long time browser, first time poster.

I was just thinking about how joe johnson posted our wings at will and we had no one big enough to defend him. Well kyle anderson is not only big enough he's a point guard in a small forwards body. We struggled to move the ball during the nets series, and not only will getting kyle anderson help us with our ball movement, Amir Johnson needs to go, with him on the floor the spacing is bad, and it was extremely easy for the nets to double team our players, And honestly amir gets injured every time you blink at him.
                    truuth2 wrote: View Post
                    well then you're stupid.
                    1st Bold: Amir offensively is NOT the issue. Amir consistently has the highest FG% in the league, is known as one of the best screen setters, and has been known to come up with clutch rebounds. If anything, we don't utilize the PnR with him ENOUGH. But when it comes to making people around him score easier, its obvious that he creates spacing with his screens.

2nd Bold: Do you even watch games? Amir has to be the most STURDY, Play-through-pain, tough guy we have on this team. NO ONE goes through the beating he does and still refuses to come off the court.

3rd Bold: You gave a bunch of half-hearted assertions with nothing to back it up. The eye test suggest you are totally wrong in your evaluation of Amir. The advanced stats suggest you are totally wrong in your evaluation of Amir. But the crime you've committed is assuming your opinion is superior enough to suggest an ad hominem response as appropriate. You must think you're hot shit.
                    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• idk how to post a picture of a tweet but per Ryan Wolstat: Masai will draft by best player available and not by need, also bigger sf wing and shot blocker big man center/pf is biggest team needs. Basically talent>need

Comment

• TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                        idk how to post a picture of a tweet but per Ryan Wolstat: Masai will draft by best player available and not by need, also bigger sf wing and shot blocker big man center/pf is biggest team needs. Basically talent>need
                        Here you go.

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                          Here you go.

I think that just means that ideally, there is a player who could be best player and fill a need. But if there's a player who's very obviously the better talent (and likely to fully realize his talent) then need won't play a factor (or a big one).

Comment

• octothorp wrote: View Post
                            Draftexpress has a new scouting report and video analysis of Damien Inglis up. Doesn't seem to be available on youtube yet so I can't embed it.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Damien-Inglis-6428/
                            I hate this video player, but here

Comment

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              Here you go.

Good to hear. And i agree, this team's biggest need is a big SF and a rim protecting big man(shot blocker).
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• That would be a great pick up. Especially if it's for Hansbrough and Novak. They both fell out of the rotation after that December trade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Working...
                                X