The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KeonClark wrote: View Post
    Fuck the NBA is terrible like this. I wonder if this has happened to the Raps before. Not only do free agents pick the big markets, but so do 18 year olds out of high school? ***
    This doesn't happen anymore. I think the last time something like that happened was with Steve Francis and the Grizzlies.

Comment

• This Duke/Arizona game for the NIT Championship is gonna be crazy.. Jabari vs. Aaron Gordon.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• Nosike wrote: View Post
        This doesn't happen anymore. I think the last time something like that happened was with Steve Francis and the Grizzlies.
        That's what Wiggins should do LOL. Imagine if Wiggins pull a Steve Francis at draft night??!
        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          This Duke/Arizona game for the NIT Championship is gonna be crazy.. Jabari vs. Aaron Gordon.
          Just as I expected.. impressive game from Jabari. Really showing his versatility. He's struggled from the field but he's hit shots from the perimeter AND the post. Rodney Hood's showed out as well.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Just as I expected.. impressive game from Jabari. Really showing his versatility. He's struggled from the field but he's hit shots from the perimeter AND the post. Rodney Hood's showed out as well.

Jabari is having so-so game.

This game is set for exciting finish! ( If Dukies can make a run )

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
              Jabari is having so-so game.

This game is set for exciting finish! ( If Dukies can make a run )
              Arizona's blown it open a little bit. D is stifling Duke's offense.
              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• I could see Tarczewski being a solid 2015 center if he starts to actually take advantage of his size..
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I could see Tarczewski being a solid 2015 center if he starts to actually take advantage of his size..
                  His offense is so raw. Tarczewski needs to improve his offensive and become little bit stronger, otherwise he'll go down to 2nd round.

Comment

• Parker with mere mortal performance... First of collegiate career

Comment

• Ian (FL)
                      Parker = Melo, Wiggins = ?

Chad Ford
                      (1:34 PM)

The closest comp I hear from NBA guys is Paul George. Same freaky athlete and great size for his position. Maybe most importantly (and the point I think most of the national media and fans are forgetting) he has the potential to be an elite perimeter defender like George. He can help you on both ends of the floor.

brian (de)
                      Would Orlando be wise to draft Marcus Smart at the top of the draft or will every team be looking at Wiggins or one of the freshman?

Chad Ford
                      (1:37 PM)

I think Smart will, for sure, be in the picture for Orlando. He's going to be worthy of a No. 1 pick and that's their biggest need. Not sure there will be a consensus No. 1 pick this year. Might come down to need given the talent at the top. I could see Jazz leaning Jabari Parker. Ditto for Celtics. Bucks leaning Julius Randle. Cavs and Sixers leaning Andrew Wiggins.

Kyle (Houston)

Kentucky's highly touted freshman class has been disappointing in spots (except for Randle) Which freshmen would NBA GM's being willing to take in the first round today?

Chad Ford
                      (1:40 PM)

It's early and there is so much talent on the team that it's hard for any of them to put up the numbers they would on a team where they were the focal point. Remember, Anthony Davis' numbers in November? Everyone was questioning whether he was worthy of the No. 1 pick. Randle has clearly been impressive. I still think James Young and Andrew Harrison will be lottery picks. It might be another year for Aaron Harrison, Dakari Johnson and Marcus Lee however.

Marc (Toronto)

Nik Stauskas has been great to start the year, how high is his ceiling in this draft? mid to late first?

Chad Ford
                      (1:42 PM)

Exactly. He cracked our Big Board this week at No. 29. Great shooter. Getting to the rim this year. Good size for his position. Just wish he was a better defender.

Josh (Boston)

What is Aaron Gordon's NBA potential? Is he an NBA 3 or 4?

Chad Ford
                      (1:43 PM)

Scouts love him. But I do think there are legitimate questions about what position he plays and how he scores in the NBA. He plays so hard and with such athleticism, it's hard not to fall in love. But Michael Kidd-Gilchrist did the same thing at Kentucky, everyone fell in love (including me!!!) and he's struggled to make the transition to the NBA. That's the only reason he's rated a little lower than the other guys on our board.

Zack (Philly)

I believe Doug McDermott is the best player in college basketball right now. Why is he not in the lottery in any mock drafts thus far?

Chad Ford
                      (1:45 PM)

Best player in college basketball doesn't always equal best NBA prospect. Just ask Jimmer Fredette. McDermott is great and I think he's finally convinced NBA scouts that he has a role to play in the NBA as a shooter. But his physical limitations and the fact that he's stuck in-between positions limit his ceiling. He's No. 20 on our Big Board. Think he falls somewhere between 15 and 25 on draft night.

Aaron (Seattle)

Only concern i have with Randle is his height...seems awfully short for a dominant PF. Any concerns there?

Chad Ford
                      (1:47 PM)

He's very long and a good athlete. If Elton Brand and Zach Randolph can dominate in the NBA, so can Randle.

Nate (Minneapolis)

Name one player in college basketball that is flying under the radar who could end up being drafted in the upcoming draft lottery?
                      Chad Ford
                      (1:51 PM)

Chris Walker of Florida. Hasn't played yet for Florida because of eligibility issues. May be the most athletic player in the country. Also, lots of scouts very high on Syracuse's Jerami Grant (son of Harvey Grant). Also a great athlete who is starting to get a feel for the game.
                      Rick (KS)

Who is your draft sleeper this year ...

Chad Ford
                      (1:53 PM)

Myself and a lot of NBA scouts are very high on Wichita State's Ron Baker. He's sitting in the 40s on our Big Board right now, but the more I watch him play and the more I talk with scouts, I think he ends up as a potential first rounder -- especially if scouts are convinced he can play the point in the NBA.
                      Greg (Michigan)

Rodney Hood is good...How good?

Chad Ford
                      (1:55 PM)

Trying to figure that one out. Has been incredible for Duke so far with the possible exception of the KU game. But Andrew Wiggins had a lot to do with slowing him down. He's got great size, can play two positions, can shoot the basketball and is just so smooth. Not a great defender, but everyone says he's a hard worker. I have him at No. 11 on my Big Board. Could go Top 10.
                      Conner (Guilford)

What role do you see Dario Saric taking in the NBA? Do you see him as a traditional 4 with above-average shooting and passing capablities or carving a more unique role in the vein of Lebron James and Magic Johnson

Chad Ford
                      (1:58 PM)

Scouts love him. He's been in our Top 10 since July of 2012. He could have been a lottery pick if he came out last year and should be one this year, despite how loaded the class is. He's averaging 13.8 ppg in Croatia right now -- which is really good for a 19 year old in a pro league. I think he's a "point-4" in the mold of Boris Diaw minus the spare tire around his waist. While he has a great basketball IQ, the LeBron/Magic comps are way too much. He's good, but not that good.

Nick (Oakland)

If you were a gm, who would you take if you had the #1 pick at this point?

Chad Ford
                      (1:59 PM)

Wiggins. Highest upside. Very little downside. Plays on both ends of the floor. I love Parker, Randle, Exum and Smart. Love all of them and would be happy with any of them with the No. 1 pick. But I think in 5 years, Wiggins will be the transcendent talent from this loaded draft
                      http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/49511

Comment

• UCLA will be team to watch:

1. Zach LaVine, UCLA

LaVine may not have the same hype as Aaron Gordon, but his long term potential is even greater. He is a world-class athlete. He’s strong, very explosive and quick while handling the ball and that is what allows him to get to the basket and finish strong around the rim. So far this season, LaVine is averaging 12.2 ppg on 57 percent shooting to go along with 1.2 spg. Most of his points come from shaking a defender and driving to the whole for an electrifying dunk, but LaVine also knows when to pull up from behind the arc, averaging a .471 field-goal percentage from three.
                        Jordan Adams, UCLA

Adams has been tearing it up for the Bruins this season, averaging 22.2 ppg and shooting 56 percent from the field. He clearly has fully recovered from his broken foot that he suffered in the Pac-12 tournament last season. Head coach, Steve Alford’s system is allowing Adams to flourish as the Bruins main focal point of the offense and he has been excellent at reading screens and creating space for high-percentage knock-down jumpers. Adams has also been very solid on defense. He leads the conference with 3.4 spg and has been plucking guys at will leading to easy transition buckets for his team. If Adams can continue to play at this level, the Bruins will definitely contend for the conference title this season.
                        Kyle Anderson, UCLA

Anderson is off to a hot start this season, contributing in all aspects of the game while out on the court for the Bruins. Anderson has been hovering around a triple-double during his first five games averaging 11.6 ppg, 9.8 rpg, and 7.8 apg. He finally turned in his first triple-double of the season last Friday when he put up 13 points, 11 assists and 12 rebounds in a win over Morehead State. Also, adding three blocks and two steals to his stat sheet total for the game. Getting to the free-throw line often was huge as he converted 6-10 chances and his final assist total (11) was his most of the season while only committing one turnover in 34 minutes of play. UCLA is on fire on offense (87.2 ppg) and Anderson is a big part of their success due to his dynamic playmaking ability.

Anderson brings a new element to the UCLA offense stepping in for departing Shabazz Muhammad, who was more of a one-dimensional player last season. The 6' 9'’ point forward is a glue guy who has the ability to make everyone around him better. The Bruins are third in the conference shooting an impressive 53 percent from the field over the past week.

Anderson does most of his scoring around the basket, and his great ball handling skills and smart decision making makes him a tough guy to defend when taking up the ball. He is very efficient, whether it be taking it to the hole for two points or facilitating the offense giving out dimes to the Bruins spot-up shooters. He also excels on defense because of his outstanding length and effort, averaging 1.2 bpg and 1.8 spg. Anderson is shaping up to be a great all-around player for the Bruins this season.

http://nbadraft.net/sloooooow-mo

Comment

• Player of the Week

Joel Embiid - Kansas

This week's POW is being graded on a curve as Smart's 39 point effort really should have sealed the award. Embiid gets the nod based on buzz from the scouting contingent and the fact that his game is progressing so quickly. The Cameroon native Embiid, has been a player regarded as having immense potential, and this week we got an up close glimpse on what kind of abilities he really has. Joel averaged 12 ppg 10.5 rpg and 2.5 bpg, on 11 of 12 shooting in two wins versus Iona and Towson. Embiid showed us some nimble face up moves, and that he’s making strides on the defensive side of the ball. His agility and ability to stick with players on the perimeter during switches, make it very easy to imagine him being a great pick and roll defender at the next level. Embiid will continue to be tested as the Jayhawks’ schedule gets tougher, but the 19 year old big man made his mark this past week and has started to generate #1 overall pick buzz from some NBA scouts.
                          Who’s Hot

Marcus Smart - Oklahoma State

Smart certainly deserved the POW award, but we're guessing he's going to take the honor more than once again. After a lackluster start, Marcus Smart exploded for 39 points, 4 rebounds, 4 assists, and 5 steals against #11 ranked Memphis on Tuesday night. Smart’s points came in a number of ways, including a career high 5 three pointers, that helped improve his season clip to 38%. Smart’s 39 point outburst nearly topped his total from the three prior games ( 41 ) before his demolition of the Tigers.

Smart was almost considered a lock for the All-American team, as he entered his sophomore year, but his long range game has always been a major criticism when looking at his skill set. His size, and strength at the point guard position make him incredibly hard to handle, but if his sharp shooting from deep continues, Marcus’ effectiveness as well as his appeal to pro teams could both see a jump.
                          http://nbadraft.net/embiid-indeed

Comment

• This is Harvey Grant's kid; Horace Grant's nephew:

Comment

• Exum decision in February.

http://www.***.com.au/sport/basketba...202-2yl9k.html

Comment

• Embiid is an interesting prospect. He kind of reminds me of Tyson Chandler. Embiid though from what i've seen already has better scoring touch than Chandler.

As deep as this draft is, i wouldn't be surprised if Embiid goes top 5. Not sure about #1 though.
                                Mamba Mentality

Comment

Working...
                                X