No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sim Bhullar is in for a Raptors workout today.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
      Sim Bhullar is in for a Raptors workout today.
      Hopefully to loose weight.

Tarik El-tyeb for Raptors.com

Adidas EuroCamp has officially begun in Treviso, Italy. With many of the top European prospects still in league playoffs or opting for individual team workouts over the camp setting the talent level has taken quite a hit from what was initially expected. However there are still a few intriguing prospects that have some potential to develop into valuable role players in the NBA.

Each day I will pick the top guard, wing player and big man and provide a few notes on how they played that day. So without further delay here are my Top 3 from Day 1:

Wing: Ioannis Papapetrou

- 6’8 SF
      - 20 years old
      - Played last season with Greek power house Olympiacos
      - Previously played 1 year at University of Texas
      - Draft Projection: Late Second Round

What he did to impress:

- He is a big strong wing player
      - Defended the perimeter extremely well
      - Effectively finished in the lane and showed the ability to get to the rim off the dribble
      - Also showed flashes of a 3-point shooting touch but he will need to continue to work to make this a true part of his game

Additional Notes: Ioannis will make a very good second-round selection who will challenge for a roster spot with his work ethic and willingness to sacrifice for the team. I can see him doing very well in a summer league setting and impressing enough to get a contract opportunity in the NBA.
      Another interesting guy to consider in the 2nd.

As much as I'd like GR3 he won't be available at 37.
      Myself (March 2014):
      The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Two Workout Sessions today

First session: Will Sheehey (SF), Cleanthony Early (SF), Jerami Grant (SF), Josh Huestis (SF), Glenn Robinson III (SF) and De'Mon Brooks (PF)

Will Sheehey (SF): 6'7", 194. Thin and not particularly long (6'6" wingspan). Mediocre shooter, frankly pretty much mediocre everything (gets to the line a little, rebounds a little, not much of a passer). Defended well at the college level but doesn't project as a good defender due to his small stature. Projected at 56, 22 years old.

Cleanthony Early (SF): 6'7", 209. A little underweight for SF, but long enough for the position (6'11" wingspan). Very athletic (40" max vert). Good shooter from 3, taking almost half his shots from there, but still gets to the line 5 times a game and converts well from inside the line as well, helping him to a top-5 scoring rate among potential draftees. Solid rebounder with 6 in only 28 MPG. Not a passer, and not a good defender on the perimeter. Tends to get blown by, as he's got the lateral quicks of a PF, but doesn't project big enough to play that position in the NBA. Projected at 34, 23 years old.

Jerami Grant (SF): 6'8", 214 lbs. Legit SF size, 7'3" wingspan. Didn't do the combine, which is strange. Attacks the rim and plays close to the basket, drawing lots of fouls. Mostly because he's got nothing else offensively. Hit only 29% of all his jumpers. Not much of a ball-handler or passer, solid rebounder. Projects to be potentially very good defensively - he has the tools, but didn't really put it all together defensively in college (also hard to judge since he played in a zone defence all year). Big project pick - could be great long term if he can develop a jump shot and figure it out defensively. Projected at 27, 20 years old.

Josh Huestis (SF): 6'7", 213 lbs, 7'1" wingspan. Good size for a SF, good athleticism as well (39" max vert). Not much of a threat offensively - OK shooter from inside and outside the arc, doesn't get to the line much, very limited skill-wise on the offensive end. Very good rebounder, shotblocker from the wing position (almost 2 per game). Solid defender all around - with good lateral quicks and strength, he can defend multiple positions. If he can develop that 3 point shot and become a consistent threat, could be a good role player. Projected at 54, 22 years old.

Glenn Robinson III (SF): 6'7", 211 lbs, 6'10" wingspan. Solid size, very athletic (41" max vert). Not a great shooter (30% from 3), converts well inside the arc but doesn't generate a lot of FT's. OK rebounder, not much of a passing game. Some questions about his toughness and Bball IQ. Tends not to make the most of his athleticism in game. Not a standout defender (neither good nor bad). Projected at 29, 20 years old.

De'Mon Brooks (PF): 6'7", 217 lbs, 6'10" wingspan. Small for a PF, but does not have the perimeter game for a wing. Solid scorer who operates inside a lot (scores almost 20 a game in 26 minutes, with a 60% FG% inside the arc and draws 8 FTA's per game), but can knock down 3's at a very good rate (45% on low volume). Very good rebounder. OK defender at the college level. Will likely not have a future in NBA due to size. Projected at 86, 22 years old.

There are some who are high on Early - I'm the opposite. He's intriguing offensively, but looks to be a disaster on the defensive end if he's already having trouble with both speed and size of college opponents. Grant is a serious long term prospect - immediately could be decent defensively, and has all the tools, but won't be a contributor offensively for years, in all likelihood. Huestis might be a worthwhile gamble at 59 if we didn't grab a wing prospect before then. GRIII - don't really like his in-between game. Not a shooter, but doesn't draw fouls. Not a great defender, rebounder, passer... Doesn't really stand out in any way. Young and athletic though, so might be worth the 37 if he drops that far. Brooks surprised me with his scoring proficiency, but he just doesn't really have an NBA body. Great size for a SF, but he just can't play the position.

----

Second workout: Sim Bhullar (C), Alex Kirk (C), Murphy Burnatowski (F) and Shawn Glover (F)

Sim Bhullar (C): 7'5", 350 lbs. Huge C. Not even the least bit athletic. Converts well on shots close to the rim. Doesn't do anything else offensively. Poor free throw shooter. Rebounds well (8 per game in 26 minutes) but not as well as you'd expect with that size. 3 blocks per game. No lateral quickness at all and would get eaten alive in the NBA PnR game. Probably a Canadian courtesy call. Projected at 97, 21 years old.

Alex Kirk (C): 6'11", 250 lbs. 7'4" wingspan. Not much of a presence offensively, poor shooter (but still takes 3's - 2 attempts a game at a 20% clip). Doesn't really draw fouls. Strong rebounder and shot blocker. Projected at 89, 22 years old.

Murphy Burnatowski (F): Not really a draft prospect. Canadian courtesy call. Can shoot the 3, but not much else. Not projected. 22 years old.

Shawn Glover (F): See Burnatowski, without the Canadian bit. Not projected, 23 years old.

Nothing to see here.
        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• All the first workout invitees possess the same height. Should be an interesting session.
          Myself (March 2014):
          The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• imanshumpert wrote: View Post
            Zero. Jason Kidd in his prime was one of the fastest players with the ball in the open floor and could change directions quicker than anyone. Was also elite on the defensive end. Kyle Anderson is capable of neither of these things (at least not at PG).

I'd compare him more to Diaw or maybe Odom.
            fast?

hmm...smart, direct, acute....not fast.

Kyle anderson might be a really, REALLY good player.

Comment

• Superjudge wrote: View Post
              fast?

hmm...smart, direct, acute....not fast.

Kyle anderson might be a really, REALLY good player.
              Don't confuse quick with fast, Kidd was fast pushing the ball for sure, he may not have had the quick change of speed, but he was for sure fast.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• My guess is that we'll pick...

A point guard (Ennis, Payton or Napier) with our 20th pick

I think Ennis and Payton may not be available but i really like Napier. He reminds me of a slimmer Lowry for some reason....maybe because he takes and makes big shots

A Forward (McDaniels, Daniels or Robinson III) with our 37th pick

I'm fine with either of these guys but i'm more intrigued by Daniels due to his length and shooting ability...also maybe because of the chemistry he has with Napier having won a NCAA Championship together in 2014

A PF/C with our 59th pick

Comment

• special1 wrote: View Post
                  My guess is that we'll pick...

A point guard (Ennis, Payton or Napier) with our 20th pick

I think Ennis and Payton may not be available but i really like Napier. He reminds me of a slimmer Lowry for some reason....maybe because he takes and makes big shots

A Forward (McDaniels, Daniels or Robinson III) with our 37th pick

I'm fine with either of these guys but i'm more intrigued by Daniels due to his length and shooting ability...also maybe because of the chemistry he has with Napier having won a NCAA Championship together in 2014

A PF/C with our 59th pick
                  Looking at who they've brought in I have to agree, but Jordan Clarkson might be in the mix too. I haven't seen enough of him to know where he fits, but there's a lot of buzz around him.

Comment

• Draftexpress just updated his mock again

Elfrid Payton
                    PG (La Lafayette - Junior)
                    20.2 years old | 6'4" | 185 lbs
                    Watch Video
                    With Kyle Lowry and Greivis Vasquez entering free agency, the point guard position could be an area the Raptors look to address in the draft. Payton brings the type of size, length and defensive versatility that coach Dwane Casey likes, and shouldn't have a problem fitting in with Toronto's other young pieces.

From DraftExpress.com http://www.draftexpress.com#ixzz34Mn1mXMo
                    http://www.draftexpress.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• We need to get this guy on the Raptors

"Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Guys check out the raptors youtube channel they post the workout interviews there we had Bhullar and cleanthony early in for workouts. Bhullar is tall and fat likely to go undrafted and play overseas. Cleanthony seems like a very nice kid

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                          We need to get this guy on the Raptors

Who is that?

Comment

• TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                            Who is that?
                            Damien Inglis

Comment

• MACK11 wrote: View Post
                              We need to get this guy on the Raptors

There have been comparisons to Batum.

He is bigger and longer version.

If you compare their stats at 19 years of age playing in French leagues, certainly comparable.

I would definitely not be opposed to Inglis at 37. 7'3" wingspan - hell yeah!!!!

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...tum-537/stats/
                              http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/...is-6428/stats/

Comment

• TrossTheBOSS wrote: View Post
                                Who is that?
                                Damien Inglis

6'9 240lbs SF LOCKDOWN DEFENDER!
                                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Working...
                                X