• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideal draft for raptors
    #20 Clint Capela
    #29 Damien Inglis ( via OKC trade )
    #59 Jordan Bachynski

All 3 players are good defenders which is inline with coach Casey's mentality
    "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
      I think several picks in the 20s could be available for the right offer.

OKC has 21 and 29, so yeah, one of those might be available.
      Memphis is allergic to the tax, so if they don't want to add a guaranteed deal and see no "stash" option, their pick at 22 could be on the table.
      Utah and Charlotte have 23 and 24 respectively, and for both it's their 2nd pick in the draft. I doubt Utah trades it since they're in an all-out rebuild, but maybe Charlotte would trade for something like our 2nd rounder.
      Houston may have similar motives to Memphis at 25, although not for fear of the tax, but to keep from adding any rookie deals so they can maximize cap room in free agency.
      PHX at 27 is their 3rd pick, and could easily be on the table.
      The Clippers at 28 I could also see potentially moving their pick. They're in win-now mode and it's not likely they get someone for that goal at 28, nor is it likely they get such a high-ceiling guy that they wouldn't at least consider moving the pick depending on offers they get (though I'm not sure here what Toronto can give them).
      could probably flip salmons to a team that doesn't want to take on a rookie contract and wants to shed some bulky contract

OKC make such a realistic trade partner it's not funny
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Is there any PG who can shut down his opponent every night? No. There's no Gary Payton in the league right now. Westbrook is arguably the best one-on-one defender at the position, and still couldn't contain Paul in a series. I'm big on Payton and his potential on D is a big reason, but I have no hopes that he can "shut down" anybody. Just make things difficult to relieve the pressure behind him on D.

Most of the guys who "shut down" PGs for significant stretches, say a whole game or several in a series, tend to be wings with good speed on D. A LeBron, Batum, Leonard, or for us, Ross (who did a good job at times on PGs). Basically, guys who have the luxury due to size/athleticism to sag off the PG so it's harder to get blown by.

Good point. But being 6'4" and possessing tremendous defensive grit all packaged into an athletic frame will definitely give him the defensive edge. To my knowledge, most point guards are 6-6 3, and part of what allows for guys like Lebron, Batum and Ross to play lock down D on PGs is their height. Payton is definitely slightly taller than the average.

I like Payton because I truly believe he has the tools to stop PG's from running an offence on a consistent basis. Lowry, for all the grit and determination he has on the defensive end, sometimes draws unnecessary fouls simply because he is a shorter player. As you said, guys with the luxury of possessing size and athleticism are best suited for guarding Point guards because they can prevent any drives to the rim. Payton has height and athleticism for his position.

Anyways, Im not saying that he will hold point guards to low scoring, low assist, high turnover games (shut them down completely) all the time; I am trying to say that he will definitely have the ability to prevent many PG's from having a star-like statistical game against the Raptors consistently, sort of like what Mike Conley does.

In terms of Payton, he can make guys like Westbrook/Curry/ Lillard force pressure against our defense by taking contested shots and therefore ruin an opposing team's offensive flow. (This being if they run the offense through the PG, which most teams do.)
        Last edited by YoungGunRaptor; Tue Jun 17, 2014, 07:47 PM.
        I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
        -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• I like Capela and can see him being a great nba player but i'm also extremely nervous about him. "needs to increase his basketball IQ" is literally one of the biggest red flags there is to me.
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            I like Capela and can see him being a great nba player but i'm also extremely nervous about him. "needs to increase his basketball IQ" is literally one of the biggest red flags there is to me.
            Usually, yes, but he's only been playing basketball for a few years, if I recall correctly, so in his case it seems likely that he WILL increase his basketball IQ, unlike in most cases.
            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'd love to see a trade up to 29-30, but even failing that, I think our second pick will depend on who we grab at 20. If we take McDaniels, then we probably try to grab Stokes or Tavares with that second pick. If we get Capela, we look to get Inglis or Daniels or Dinwiddie. If Ennis drops to 20, then any of the above would work with the second pick.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I also feel like the low bball iq is more from a couple years ago. More recently, his main problem is attitude, or that's my impression from dates of scouting videos and write ups.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• oh is he? that certainly makes it more palatable then.
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                    I also feel like the low bball iq is more from a couple years ago. More recently, his main problem is attitude, or that's my impression from dates of scouting videos and write ups.
                    Yeah, that's the impression I get too. If they pick him hopefully they feel confident enough that those issues will clear up with time and being in the right environment.

Comment

• “(Stokes) has shown that he can face up and hit jumpers,” Tolzman said. “We didn’t expect him to shoot the three as well as he did today. I think he has been working on that a lot to prove he can do that, but his 15-18 foot range even during the season is pretty good. It’s something to where he is trying to show people that he is more than just a banger and a bruiser and a rebounder and it just helps his case even more.”

Jarnell Stokes sounds pretty confident that his in the running for the 20th pick in his media interview. Like I said a month ago that he would rise. Especially if his hitting the jumpers. I wouldn't mind taking him at 20. I know what he going to do. Rebound, play defence and hit an open jumper. If falls to 37th his the steal of the draft.

http://www.nba.com/raptors/video/201...HDmp4-3304171/
                      @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                        Jarnell Stokes sounds pretty confident that his in the running for the 20th pick in his media interview. Like I said a month ago that he would rise. Especially if his hitting the jumpers. I wouldn't mind taking him at 20. I know what he going to do. Rebound, play defence and hit an open jumper. If falls to 37th his the steal of the draft.

I hope he does. Or hopefully we can trade up, maybe in to the 21-29 range and pick him and Payton up.
                        I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada

Comment

• Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post

chuck hayes with a jump shot doesnt really make me jump for joy but realistically early, stokes, mcgray, mcdaniels, ennis, payton are all about the same tier so I am fine with any of those picks if anderson is gone.

Comment

• Chuck Hayes is a pretty bad comparison for Stokes. Stokes is more of a Sullinger type of player. Strong as an ox, great rebounder, great finisher inside. He can shoot the ball as well. My only concern w/ him is his height. He's 6'8. That's just too small for a PF in the NBA level.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                              chuck hayes with a jump shot doesnt really make me jump for joy but realistically early, stokes, mcgray, mcdaniels, ennis, payton are all about the same tier so I am fine with any of those picks if anderson is gone.
                              Agreed on that.

I think Anderson would be a great fit for the Raps. He's got size, range, and passing skills. If he can develop his athletic ability and work on his defense, he can become a very versatile player in the league.

Some of the other names,however, could be safer and more productive as early as next season.

Comment

• grindhouse wrote: View Post
                                Chuck Hayes with a jump-shot would be a really useful player, though.

Comment

Working...
                                X