The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jarvis295 wrote: View Post
    Ya those buzzer beaters and being undefeated are major impacts on his stock, but when the team needed him he was there to answer. not much of a supporting cast as well... and 'cuse plays in a serious conference

I don't think you can compare Kendall and Ennis at all ... or your just lost
    that wasn't me making that comparison, but i have been voicing my doubts over ennis.

but again, he wasn't really there when his team needed him: at the end of the year to seal a top seed, or during the tournament itself
    "Bruno?
    Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
    He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• Jordon Adams, buh?

No one here's really talked about Jordan Adams, but i was reading a thing on him at rapsHQ and became kind of intrigued.

So i read some more.

Now i'm really impressed. As i've said time and time again, production trumps all. So do stats. Advanced stats, that is, and Adams is a advanced stats GOD. Peep this, all taken from draftexpress:

UCLA's Jordan Adams profile suggests that he's one of the most unique players in this class. For starters, though he leads this group of shooting guards in field goal percentage, he ranks just 5th in points per-possession.

On top of that, what makes Adams so interesting is his unique situational breakdown. While he uses fewer pick and roll, spot-up, and isolation possessions than any player in this sample, each by a fairly considerable margin, he ranks 3rd seeing 4.3 possessions per-game in transition and 2nd averaging 3.3 off screen possessions per-game.

Though Adams is often maligned for his athleticism, he ranks as the 2nd best finisher in this group scoring 1.376 points per shot around the rim in the half court, seemingly on instincts and assertiveness alone. The worst jump shooter in this group scoring .853 points per-jump shot, Adam's unique role had a polarizing effect on his perimeter efficiency as he didn't see nearly as many traditional catch and shoot opportunities as his peers a year ago. With that in mind, it will be interesting to see how the trimmed down Adams is used as a rookie and how he adjusts to potentially more traditional role.
      In most mock drafts centered around traditional scouting, Adams is being projected somewhere in the second half of the first round. Draft Express has him going to the Utah Jazz at 23, Chad Ford slates him to the Oklahoma City Thunder at 29, and Jeff Goodman has the Spurs scooping him with the 30th selection. That's about fair given a few of Adams' traits -- he's a below-average athlete and mostly a straight-line dribbler who won't be much of a creator for others professionally.

But statistically, Adams grades out at the top of the class. He ranks behind only Marcus Smart among domestic prospects in Kevin Pelton's projection system, grabbing a spot in the top five overall. That's due to several factors, chief among them his disruptive play on the defensive end (3.5 steals per 40) and his ability to get to the free-throw line. While athletically he's not where you want him to be, his 6'10" wingspan helps make up for his other physical limitations.
      Whoa.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
        Marshall had the athleticism of a glazed ham

Ennis' lack of athleticism is greatly exaggerated
        This is important. Ennis isn't non-athletic. He's just not a freak athlete like Elfrid Payton is. There's a difference.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
          This is important. Ennis isn't non-athletic. He's just not a freak athlete like Elfrid Payton is. There's a difference.
          It seems to me like Ennis is just a pretty steady, decent PG who's college team had a great win streak.

For me, that's not a bad pick at 20, but it's definitely not a slam dunk.
          "Bruno?
          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
            It seems to me like Ennis is just a pretty steady, decent PG who's college team had a great win streak.

For me, that's not a bad pick at 20, but it's definitely not a slam dunk.
            I totally agree. Ennis just isn t an upside pick and is boasted on this forum due to his nationality instead of his play.
            Myself (March 2014):
            The raptors are a tremendous young team and will win a championship in the following five years.

Comment

• Before we go knocking anyone for a Kendall Marshall comparison, let's not forget that he averaged nearly 8 points and 9 assists per game last year, which, for a 22-year-old, is solid; the assist numbers are near the top in the league, and he's developed a nearly 40% 3-point shot. From what I've seen his defense is still weak, but if we look at Ennis as Kendall Marshall passing with better defense, better athleticism and, right now, a better shot than Marshall had coming out of college, that's a pretty good prospect.

Comment

• OptimalOptimist wrote: View Post
                I totally agree. Ennis just isn t an upside pick and is boasted on this forum due to his nationality instead of his play.
                I could care less what country a person comes from. I was one of the first people who thought tanking for Wiggins was a bad idea. That Wiggins ceiling is less Lebron and more George. I'm not sold on Bachynski. I was the first person to state that Bhullar got some bad info and is not getting drafted.

Ennis is a talent. He's been a known commodity for a while at the National level and through CIA Bounce. His performance at NCAA more confirmed things than proved things. He has a way more intriguing game at this point than Mario Chalmers did -- he can do a lot more in pick and roll situations than the current Chalmers can do already in his development. My only concerns with him are on the defensive end.

Where Jordan Adams thrives, and his physical testing contradict themselves. He is a very tough player to figure out. I'd stay away.

Comment

• The more I read about Adams the more I want to take him at #20
                  @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                      The more I read about Adams the more I want to take him at #20
                      i don't mind the guy, but i'm SUPER wary of using stats to predict prospects

also, capela comes out as #2 under Pelton's WARP, behind only smart
                      "Bruno?
                      He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• gotta say, my dream draft is:

capela, inglis, bachynski/carson
                        "Bruno?
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

gotta say, my dream draft is:

I wouldn't mind that, with Bachynski....but I'm really not that crazy about him. Think he's a good option that late in the draft. And generally I prefer them targeting a possible immediate contributor, not a project/draft-and-stash player.

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                            I wouldn't mind that, with Bachynski....but I'm really not that crazy about him. Think he's a good option that late in the draft. And generally I prefer them targeting a possible immediate contributor, not a project/draft-and-stash player.
                            yeah, I agree. even a guy playing like 5-10 minutes in half our games is more useful than buyckstone
                            "Bruno?
                            He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

gotta say, my dream draft is:

3 bigs? can't see it. Raps already have Amir, JV, and PP. What's the rotation gonna be like?
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

• dream draft : raptors trade for 4th pick, grab Vonleh

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X