No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dont want to be a buzz kill but there is one aspect of Wiggins I have across a couple of times...he is not a "gym rat" and he doesn't particularly like practice. Not like the great ones, Kobe, Durant, Jordan and lol our DD. They have all been documented as "gym rats" constantly by themselves in a gym improving themselves. So has anyone consider this a potential red flag? Can he change? Is he so good he doesnt need it?

Here is a quote by his prep school coach:

"Talent aside, Fulford acknowledged that Wiggins is no gym rat. Though Wiggins loves playing basketball, Fulford said he needs to fall in love with working on improving. Sometimes Wiggins gets bored with practice, and coaches nudge him, looking for the trigger. Fulford has told Wiggins two dozen times, "I don't think at any point ever that anyone had to go tell Michael Jordan or Kobe Bryant to pick it up."

A decent article on Wiggins...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...iting/1654439/

Comment

• A decent article on Wiggins...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports...iting/1654439/[/QUOTE]

Great Read. Really kinda puts it in perspective how much pressure is really on this kid. Im only a year older and say "kid." I really feel for the guy. The gym rat thing is another great reason to keep Demar around him as a young guy who is so mature. Also when you see guys working that hard it forces you to work hard. I can just imagine them as a wing combo… that would be sooooo dynamic. But anyways back to the point this guy not only has the normal pressure of a top prospect but a whole nation on the kids back. Hes what 17? feel for him, man i want to see him kick ass though.

Comment

• I'm not sure I give a shit what the guy in HS says about him. He just dropped 26 and 9 in a tight game, carried his team in the process.

I absolutely HATE when forum people start using words like "motor", drive, etc. Please, you're talking about 18 year old kids you have never seen or met. Quincy Acy has a great motor, so do 85% of the guys in the dleague, and in the NBA. Lets back off this type of heresay and rumour mill stuff shall we.

Bargnani was supposed to be the prototypical NBA superstar, you know, after all the Psych testing.

Comment

• Ya I would rather have a non-gym rat who can take over a game than a gym rat that isn't talented enough to take over a game, no matter how hard he tries.

Comment

• Craig wrote: View Post
            I'm not sure I give a shit what the guy in HS says about him. He just dropped 26 and 9 in a tight game, carried his team in the process.

I absolutely HATE when forum people start using words like "motor", drive, etc. Please, you're talking about 18 year old kids you have never seen or met. Quincy Acy has a great motor, so do 85% of the guys in the dleague, and in the NBA. Lets back off this type of heresay and rumour mill stuff shall we.

Bargnani was supposed to be the prototypical NBA superstar, you know, after all the Psych testing.
            Bold: Rumor mill stuff? That was a direct quote by his coach who recruited him and was his coach until last year. What would be his motive for putting that out in the linked USAToday piece. I did not mention the other quote as it was an "anonymous scout". So you see no merit. Cool.

ps.. Did u know that Bargs psych tester was Colangelo.

Comment

• For all this talk of so many teams tanking, things are really starting to normalize a bit now that the season is progressing. It only looks like 3 or so teams (other than Raps) are at this point likely aiming for the bottom.

Tankers:
              -Philly....coming back down to earth now
              -Orlando....by default from lacking a quality team
              -Utah....duh...
              -Throwing in Toronto, because I think they'll go that route. Think they already are, but it's not obvious enough yet. Expect it to become so.

Might be tanking group:
              -Boston....a mystery until Rondo returns. Exceeding early expectations and if they keep playing half decent, could stay on the playoff push path.
              -Milwaukee....by record one would think they are. But their owner is anti-tank at all times, and they're trying to work out a new arena deal, which losing doesn't help. Hard to see them staying bad, and easy to see them at least trying to crawl out of the bottom and into the playoffs. Few enough games separating teams that playoffs are not out of sight.

Other random thoughts:
              -PHX is playing way better than anyone expected and it's hard to see them tanking now.
              -Sacto should've tanked...then they traded for Gay. They'll still suck and likely miss the playoffs, but also likely miss the high lottery picks...welcome to no man's land.
              -NYK and Brooklyn are bad right now. It's hard to see that persisting with both. Do believe the Knicks will crawl out of their hole, especially if Chandler comes back healthy and can last the season. Gotta think Brooklyn will too, though even if they make the playoffs, they don't look close to the contender they'd hoped to be.
              -Cleveland, Washington, Charlotte, and Detroit are all aiming playoffs, even if they end up missing.
              -Wtf is Chicago going to do without Rose? I don't expect them to tank, but I see the window for it being there now, if another domino or two drop.

It looks liek only one team is really tanking in the West, and maybe 3 in the East if you count the Raps, which could turn into 5 if Boston and Milly give up. Not that much competition at the bottom in the end. High draft picks well within reach.

*Obviously it's a lottery and nothing is guaranteed, but doesn't look like that big a group will be fighting for the best position.
              Last edited by white men can't jump; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:01 AM.

Comment

• some intresting answers from Chad ford

MKE (WI)

If I were an NBA GM I'd be really nervous about the number one pick. Sure, you get first choice, but with so many great players it's tough to project who will be THE best. Do GMs have this sort of feeling or are they confident they are the best talent evaluator?

Chad Ford (1:30 PM)

Most of the GMs in the league are pretty risk adverse, so yes, there is a certain anxiety that goes along with the No. 1 pick. You HAVE to get it right. It's why Chris Grant is sweating bullets in Cleveland right now. Still, if you are a GM, you want to control the draft. I think it's silly when they wring their hands about it. Having the No. 1 pick is the best possible position to be.

Ken. A (Kissimmee)

Who is Zach Lavine ? Is he lottery worthy ?

Chad Ford (1:33 PM)

Long, athletic combo guard at UCLA. Great athlete. Lights out shooter. Still figuring out the mid-range game. Needs to add strength. Has some point guard skills, though he isn't really used that way at UCLA. Most of the NBA scouts I have talked with who have actually seen him play have him in the lottery. I think he's going to end up being a Top 10 pick

Brad (Toronto)

Who do you think will be the better NBA PG between Exum and Smart?

Chad Ford (1:34 PM)

So tough. So different. Smart is all about power, defense and motor. Exum all about athleticism and skill. Neither player a pure point guard. Think both will be super successful at the next level.

Ryan (KY)

Which players from Kentucky need to stay another year and which ones should enter the draft?

Chad Ford (1:35 PM)

Julius Randle is gone. Probably James Young and Willie Cauley-Stein. Those are the only three, right now, really making a strong case as a potential lottery pick. Andrew Harrison is probably fourth on the list.

Greg (Michigan)

Can andrew wiggins be better than paul george down the road?

Chad Ford (1:36 PM)

If it's even a wash, then Wiggins should be the No. 1 pick the draft. George is that good and I see a lot of Paul George in Wiggins

Adam (Washington, DC)

Do you think Alex Poythress made the right decision not coming out in this past year's weak draft and with all the talent at UK in front of him right now?

Chad Ford (1:37 PM)

Right now, it doesn't look like it. Thought at the start of the season, he may have made the right call. He was not ready at all for the NBA. But he hasn't been helping himself this year.

Bracken (UT)

I've read a couple of comments from Jabari about Okafor coming to Duke next year and "one and done's" in general. I'm beginning to wonder if Duke doesn't win it all this year if Parker might come back next year and try to win a championship. Thoughts?

Chad Ford (1:39 PM)

He's the type of young man, like Marcus Smart, who would consider it. Their priorities are more than just a quick paycheck in the NBA. Still, I'm not sure how another year would help Jabari. For Smart, he had specific areas he needed to work on. I think Parker's a little bit under challenged in the NCAA. He's already a pro.

Mike (Philly)

Does Embiid actually have a shot of going #1 over more proven guys in this draft?

Chad Ford (1:42 PM)

Yes. Because, size matters and there are very few real seven footers who can play in the NBA. Also because Embiid isn't just a seven footer. He's athletic, nimble and skilled. While he has a long ways to go to reach his potential, I don't think scouts are exaggerating when they say that Embiid has some Hakeem Olajuwon in his game. If he's Hakeem? He should be the No. 1 pick!

Marc (Milwaukee)

There is always a lot of talk about being drafted by the RIGHT team in the NBA. Fit always seems to be huge. Best NBA fits for the Wiggins? Jabari? Randle? Smart? Embiid?

Chad Ford (1:45 PM)

Wiggins? RaptorsJabari? JazzRandle? 76ersSmart? MagicEmbiid? CavsExum? Bucks

Jay (Philly )

Am I crazy for thinking that Exum could be the best player in this draft?

Chad Ford (1:48 PM)

You're not alone. But the fact that he's not playing right now is going to hurt his stock a little. Riskier to be taken over Jabari, Wiggins or Randle. But as far as talent goes, he's right with all of them.

Gerardo (AZ)

Any chance Aaron Gordon stays one more year? It's not just wishful thinking, the guy clearly can improve while in college (ala Blake Griffin) AND be in a not-so-deep class next year.

Chad Ford (1:48 PM)

Actually yes. I think he's sitting there with six guys ahead of him that he's unlikely to pass. Should be able to improve his draft stock and his game with another year at Arizona.

Steve (Toronto)

Who's the top pass-first PG prospect in the 2014 class?

Chad Ford (1:51 PM)

Jerian Grant of Notre Dame?

Gerardo (AZ)

Do you see "NBA player" in Nick Johnson?

Chad Ford (1:52 PM)

Yes. But think the Oladipo comps are going too far.

Noah (Philadelphia)

What are your thoughts on Wayne Selden? If the draft was tomorrow where would he go?

Chad Ford (1:54 PM)

He's been OK, but hasn't lived up to the hype he had coming into the season from some scouts who watched KU practices. I think he's struggling to take a backseat role as a scorer. As a pro prospect, wish he was a few inches taller.

Mike (Ohio)

Who is the best scorer in the draft?

Chad Ford (1:54 PM)

Jabari Parker. He's going to average 20+ ppg for his entire career.

Scott (Rochester, NY)

Outside of the top 6-7 players in this year's draft, who are some sleeper SF to look out for?

Chad Ford (1:55 PM)

Kentucky's James Young has a lot of fans. So does Florida's Chris Walker and Syracuse's Jerami Grant.

Jake S. (Ohio)

Which high lottery player in the 2014 draft has the biggest "potential" to be a bust?

Chad Ford (1:58 PM)

Probably Exum. We know the least about him ...

Lee (CA)

Why aren't more GM's hyped over Kyle Anderson at UCLA. That kid is so versatile!

Chad Ford (1:59 PM)

Hard for them to peg a 6-9 point power forward with zero athletic ability. But you're right, he's crazy talented.
                Last edited by yukhan1980; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 01:33 AM.

Comment

• After tonight we have the eight worst record with BKN tied with us for wins and NYK just one win behind us. i Can easily see both of them having better season then us down the road the kings will probably win more games as well so the Raps will be at least 5th worst as i can see right now when the season ends but that could change if boston and cleveland start to lose as well

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    For all this talk of so many teams tanking, things are really starting to normalize a bit now that the season is progressing. It only looks like 3 or so teams (other than Raps) are at this point likely aiming for the bottom.

Tankers:
                    -Philly....coming back down to earth now
                    -Orlando....by default from lacking a quality team
                    -Utah....duh...
                    -Throwing in Toronto, because I think they'll go that route. Think they already are, but it's not obvious enough yet. Expect it to become so.

Might be tanking group:
                    -Boston....a mystery until Rondo returns. Exceeding early expectations and if they keep playing half decent, could stay on the playoff push path.
                    -Milwaukee....by record one would think they are. But their owner is anti-tank at all times, and they're trying to work out a new arena deal, which losing doesn't help. Hard to see them staying bad, and easy to see them at least trying to crawl out of the bottom and into the playoffs. Few enough games separating teams that playoffs are not out of sight.

Other random thoughts:
                    -PHX is playing way better than anyone expected and it's hard to see them tanking now.
                    -Sacto should've tanked...then they traded for Gay. They'll still suck and likely miss the playoffs, but also likely miss the high lottery picks...welcome to no man's land.
                    -NYK and Brooklyn are bad right now. It's hard to see that persisting with both. Do believe the Knicks will crawl out of their hole, especially if Chandler comes back healthy and can last the season. Gotta think Brooklyn will too, though even if they make the playoffs, they don't look close to the contender they'd hoped to be.
                    -Cleveland, Washington, Charlotte, and Detroit are all aiming playoffs, even if they end up missing.
                    -Wtf is Chicago going to do without Rose? I don't expect them to tank, but I see the window for it being there now, if another domino or two drop.

It looks liek only one team is really tanking in the West, and maybe 3 in the East if you count the Raps, which could turn into 5 if Boston and Milly give up. Not that much competition at the bottom in the end. High draft picks well within reach.

*Obviously it's a lottery and nothing is guaranteed, but doesn't look like that big a group will be fighting for the best position.
                    Teams that i expect to be in the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.

Utah
                    Philly
                    Orlando
                    Milwaukee

Teams that are in no man's land:

Sacramento
                    Toronto
                    Boston
                    Charlotte
                    Washington
                    New Orleans
                    Minnesota
                    Dallas
                    Phoenix
                    Detroit

Dont get fooled by some of these teams that are off to a great start like Phoenix and Boston and Detroit, Charlotte etc. These are bad teams.

Anyhow, Raptors IMO are a better team and will have a better record than Philly, Utah, Orlando, Milwaukee, Boston, and Charlotte.

New Orleans, Sacramento, Phoenix, Detroit and Washington. I can see these teams finishing with the same record as the Raptors.

So as it stands right now, i can see the Raps picking in the 7-12 range. Assuming they dont trade some of their key players like DD, Amir and Lowry.
                    Last edited by The Great One; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 03:01 AM.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                      Teams that i expect to be in the Andrew Wiggins sweepstakes.

Utah
                      Philly
                      Orlando
                      Milwaukee

Teams that are in no man's land:

Sacramento
                      Toronto
                      Boston
                      Charlotte
                      Washington
                      New Orleans
                      Minnesota
                      Dallas
                      Phoenix
                      Detroit

Dont get fooled by some of these teams that are off to a great start like Phoenix and Boston and Detroit, Charlotte etc. These are bad teams.

Anyhow, Raptors IMO are a better team and will have a better record than Philly, Utah, Orlando, Milwaukee, Boston, and Charlotte.

New Orleans, Sacramento, Phoenix, Detroit and Washington. I can see these teams finishing with the same record as the Raptors.

So as it stands right now, i can see the Raps picking in the 7-12 range. Assuming they dont trade some of their key players like DD, Amir and Lowry.
                      Utah is all about Parker

Comment

• Btw, after watching LaVine last weekend i'm starting to change my stance about tanking lol. Dude can shoot the ball so smoothly and is just so freakishly athletic. Not sure how long he's going to go under the radar but his upside IMO is just as high as some of the big names in this draft.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
                          Btw, after watching LaVine last weekend i'm starting to change my stance about tanking lol. Dude can shoot the ball so smoothly and is just so freakishly athletic. Not sure how long he's going to go under the radar but his upside IMO is just as high as some of the big names in this draft.
                          I have been saying this all along lavine will be sure bet a top 10 pick freakishly athletic and can also shoot the ball. And for one of oue 2nd round picks we should target oliver Hanlan of Boston college not only is he a canadian but he's got game can shoot the ball and can also play some PG if needed
                          Last edited by yukhan1980; Thu Dec 12, 2013, 03:49 AM.

Comment

• yukhan1980 wrote: View Post
                            I have been saying this all along lavine will be sure bet a top 10 pick freakishly athletic and can also shoot the ball. And for one of our 2nd round picks we should target oliver Hanlan of Boston college not only is he a canadian but he's got game can shoot the ball and can also play some PG if needed
                            As mentioned earlier oliver hanlan should be considered in 2nd round he had another great game today with 26 points 5 rebs and 8 assist

Comment

• Lavine needs to put on a sh!t-load of weight if he wants to be successful in the NBA. Dude is smaller than I am

Comment

• Raptor_11 wrote: View Post
                                Lavine needs to put on a sh!t-load of weight if he wants to be successful in the NBA. Dude is smaller than I am
                                It would certainly help in theory.

However Durante has managed being rail thin.

Lavine is a talent.

Comment

Working...
                                X