The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRex wrote: View Post
    This draft is 8 men deep IMO. Parker, Wiggins, Embiid, Randle, Exum, Smart, Gordon, LaVine.

Then there are guys like McDermott and Robinson III who are both projected to go in the 10-15 range. Not bad. Big fan of McDermott for a while. And Robinson is a STUD. Reminds me a lot of his dad but more athletic and definitely a better defender.

Then there's Noah Vonleh. A 'potential' player. Probably would go top 10.

Then there's Rodney Hood. Who's one of the most interesting player in this draft because of his ability to shoot, lock down defender, and he can fly. Very athletic.

This draft is deeper than the 2003 draft IMO.
    Though I can't pretend my opinion is expert, in my amateur opinion I agree with this. I really like the PG crop in this draft. You may be able to get a legit starting PG anywhere in the 1st round.

-Raw but oozing physical potential: Semaj Christon. Think John Wall.
    -Under the radar but may be the best PG in this draft: Tyler Ennis
    -Even more under the radar and may be the best passing PG in the draft: Vasilje Micic

There are some other guys I've seen in mocks, but these are guys I've looked into a bit. I've also been able to actually see a couple of Ennis' games on TV. Dude is the real deal. Some concerns about his physical aspects and D, but I don't buy it. He plays hard and smart, including on D, and he has deceptive athleticism that he doesn't often use because he plays such a steady "change-of-pace" type game where he doesn't need breakneck speed or athleticism to get what he wants.

Comment

• I remember the 2003 draft like it was yesterday. That draft was really all about LeBron and Melo. Darko Milicic's name came out of nowhere in the last 2-3 weeks before the draft. And there were even talks that he might go #1 overall LOL.

Chris Bosh was a 'potential player' a lot like Noah Vonleh. And Dwyane Wade wasn't a highly touted prospect at all. TJ Ford actually had more hype than Wade that year. And Ford was a heck of a player in Texas.

Kaman was an intriguing prospect because of his ability to shoot left and right and he's a C. Heck, i wanted the Raps to take him 4th overall but had no problem when they took Bosh.
      Last edited by The Great One; Tue Dec 31, 2013, 04:35 PM.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Wade didn't blow up as a prospect until his ridiculous March Madness tournament. Expect a guy or two like that to step up in the Spring.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
          Wade didn't blow up as a prospect until his ridiculous March Madness tournament. Expect a guy or two like that to step up in the Spring.
          Also expect a couple guys to go the other way and lose some of there draft stock
          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• MixxAOR wrote: View Post
            Jerami Grant is interesting(related to Horace Grant). Draftexpress predict that he's going 19th in a draft. Not a lot of skill offensively(he lives on put backs and transition) but apparently he can guard 2 to 4 positions. So he has potential to be lockdown defender from what I read. http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Jerami-Grant-6445/

Put back slam
            Hes gonna be like a Kawhi Leonard type player, Grant is about 6'9 with a ridiculous wingspan
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
              Wade didn't blow up as a prospect until his ridiculous March Madness tournament. Expect a guy or two like that to step up in the Spring.
              It happens every year, deep or shallow draft. Just like some players will drop. Then the cycle starts all over again when they reach the NBA. Some reach their perceived potential, some exceed it, some fail. There's lot's of history to support the concept of most of the draft being a crapshoot. Even supremely managed teams like the Spurs have drafted total scrubs over the past 10-12 years and beyond, including first rounders. Hell, if they had any idea that Manu was going to be what he has been, they wouldn't have wasted a first round pick on a total bust, and waited until #58 pick to grab Manu.

Comment

• Shrub wrote: View Post
                I would love to get some insight from the folks who have been doing their research as to how deep you guys really think the 2014 draft is.

If you were a GM, how deep in the draft could you sit and still feel confident that you will get a player you really like? I want to hear about the guys who don't always get mentioned - the ones who could come out of nowhere and eclipse the expected franchise players, or the ones who look primed to be really solid role players.

Seems like I hear a new name constantly, and I want to know who intrigues you and why.
                Most people have covered it, but there are probably 5-8 potential game changers, depending on what you think of the guys in outside the big 3 (wiggins, parker, randle) - most think some or all of Exum, Embeid, Smart, Gordon have that potential. Maybe someone else jumps up into that group with a strong tourney.

This is precisely why there isnt really the concept of "half tanking" - finishing with a 10-15 pick is fine, you might get an ok player, but its a pretty big drop off outside the top bunch.

Comment

• p00ka wrote: View Post
                  It happens every year, deep or shallow draft. Just like some players will drop. Then the cycle starts all over again when they reach the NBA. Some reach their perceived potential, some exceed it, some fail. There's lot's of history to support the concept of most of the draft being a crapshoot. Even supremely managed teams like the Spurs have drafted total scrubs over the past 10-12 years and beyond, including first rounders. Hell, if they had any idea that Manu was going to be what he has been, they wouldn't have wasted a first round pick on a total bust, and waited until #58 pick to grab Manu.
                  Cliff notes: nothing is guaranteed in the NBA.

Comment

• If the Raptors go for the Atlantic title then Masai's Draft targets should be Glen Robinson and/or a PG. But then again, its better to go with BPA

Comment

Manu is a very special case, because he was drafted when most teams weren't intensively scouting European leagues yet and the general philosophy around the league was that drafting Euro guys early was a waste of time because if you wanted one, you just signed him when you wanted him; you only bothered using a draft pick for obvious stars (Toni Kukoc was a good example of that philosophy).

The Spurs started scouting Europe in detail before most other teams did and had a much better idea of the level of talent available there, which is why Manu was available so late; they knew nobody else even had Manu on their radar. Go forward four years, when most teams had established Euro scouting presences, and Tony Parker started the trend of high-quality Euro guys generally going no later than late first round (see also: Nikola Mirotic).

Manu is not terribly replicable at this point because the only places that are not comprehensively scouted by most NBA teams are professional leagues in Africa, where the level of play is not high. There's simply no un-examined ground left. Look at what happened with Giannis Antetokounmpo last year; he got mentioned in a newspaper article about how several teams were interested in maybe drafting him as a gamble second-rounder, and then everybody said "Giannis who?" and paid attention and his stock skyrocketed until he went mid-first. It's not possible to have prospects that nobody knows about any longer.

Comment

• magoon wrote: View Post
                        Manu is a very special case, because he was drafted when most teams weren't intensively scouting European leagues yet and the general philosophy around the league was that drafting Euro guys early was a waste of time because if you wanted one, you just signed him when you wanted him; you only bothered using a draft pick for obvious stars (Toni Kukoc was a good example of that philosophy).

The Spurs started scouting Europe in detail before most other teams did and had a much better idea of the level of talent available there, which is why Manu was available so late; they knew nobody else even had Manu on their radar. Go forward four years, when most teams had established Euro scouting presences, and Tony Parker started the trend of high-quality Euro guys generally going no later than late first round (see also: Nikola Mirotic).

Manu is not terribly replicable at this point because the only places that are not comprehensively scouted by most NBA teams are professional leagues in Africa, where the level of play is not high. There's simply no un-examined ground left. Look at what happened with Giannis Antetokounmpo last year; he got mentioned in a newspaper article about how several teams were interested in maybe drafting him as a gamble second-rounder, and then everybody said "Giannis who?" and paid attention and his stock skyrocketed until he went mid-first. It's not possible to have prospects that nobody knows about any longer.
                        A very valid point, that has been made before, often. I agree. International players are being scouted better now, by more teams. The point doesn't address what I was saying though.

Comment

• There are a lot of solid players in this draft.

McDermott
                          Hood
                          LaVine
                          Saric
                          Vonleh

All interest me in late lottery up to 20.

If Raps stay the course best case scenario I could see is LaVine declaring, sliding, and ending up on Raps at 15.

The top 6 would be great though:
                          Wiggins
                          Parker
                          Exum
                          Embiid
                          Randle
                          Smart

Always looking forward to see how rises, who falls, and who comes out of nowhere as well.

Comment

• Jahii Carson seems really intriguing...
                            Dude is lightning fast and has incredible hops for his size. Reminds me of a more athletic Ty Lawson, he's much more fearless in terms of driving to the basket tho almost kyle lowry like.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Jahii Carson seems really intriguing...
                              Dude is lightning fast and has incredible hops for his size. Reminds me of a more athletic Ty Lawson, he's much more fearless in terms of driving to the basket tho almost kyle lowry like.

I forgot him.

I like him too despite his lack of size.

Comment

Manu again?! And who sounds like a broken record now??
                                Drafting is better today than 14 years ago. Drazen Petrovic has been selected 60 overall...

Comment

Working...
                                X