No announcement yet.

The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• go look up college highlights of stromile swift. apparently he was the second coming of shawn kemp

Comment

• Evia99 wrote: View Post
      are you kidding me? you compared him to Olajuwon! he doesn't stand out. sorry
      LOL! When did i compare him to Hakeem? quote me.

I know better than compare Embiid to one of the greatest C of all time.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Evia99 wrote: View Post
        are you kidding me? you compared him to Olajuwon! he doesn't stand out. sorry
        And you went to the other extreme and said he'd be a bust.
        I haven't placed him at either extreme, just comfortably in the middle as solid NBA Contributor.

But to compare him to Thabeet or Kandi is silly in my opinion, because its quite obvious he's more talented than they were at the same point in their careers. Obviously that is an opinion, but it is an opinion held by many.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          And you went to the other extreme and said he'd be a bust.
          I haven't placed him at either extreme, just comfortably in the middle as solid NBA Contributor.

But to compare him to Thabeet or Kandi is silly in my opinion, because its quite obvious he's more talented than they were at the same point in their careers. Obviously that is an opinion, but it is an opinion held by many.
          Kandi was nothing more than a skilled big. Soft. Can't play D to save his life. Great job by the Clippers taking him 1st overall.

Thabeet on the other hand was a stiff. He was nothing more than a shot blocker and dunker in college. Think of DeAndre Jordan with Primo Brezec athleticism.
          Mamba Mentality

Comment

• I don't think he's gonna be a bust but I haven't seen him show anything except for a couple of plays against lower level competition. Yesterday Kansas lost at home vs san Diego state and San Diego states big man Skylar Spencer (6'11) shutdown embiid,. Joel embiid couldn't just use his height on him and he had no counters. I'm not saying he's a bust but if he's not dominating college bigs, how do you expect him to dominate NBA bigs
            "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

• Andre Drummond did not even come close to dominating in college, and was so raw to the point where most experts thought he'd take years to show any kind of skills, and could even be a complete bust, which is probably why he slid to #9. Yet after only a couple of NBA games it was obvious he was much further along than people thought.
              I guess my point is just because he's not dominant in college, does not mean he won't be a great pro.

He has a LOT to learn, he's new to the game. But the athleticism, the body, the footwork are good and his soft touch really intrigues people as well I think, so down the road he may develop nice mid range jumper. I feel like he'll be good, and that he'll be drafted really high, maybe #1. But I know nothing!
              Last edited by BigCamB; Tue Jan 7, 2014, 05:34 AM.

Comment

• The Drummond effect.

Drafting is not just about looking at what a guy can do right now. It's about projecting what he will be able to do in the future. This is why Wiggins is a superior prospect to Parker, because he has the potential to be elite on BOTH sides of the ball, not just one. This is something that is frequently ignored or overlooked. Not to mention the fact that his offensive ceiling is higher simply by virtue of there being MAYBE 3 active NBA players in the same or higher echelon than him athletically (LeBron, Dwight, Westbrook imo).

No Embid is not amazingly polished right now and he's not really wowing anybody with his moves, but he has things that cannot be taught. He's an agile seven footer with incredible footwork for someone his size. He's an athletic freak for a seven footer as well. If you combine that with a motor to get better and improve there is essentially no reason why he can't be a star in this league.

But I mean yeah let's just look at how dominant a guy is in college and use that and that alone to determine who's going to bust. Adam Morrison was such an NBA stud with his 28-6 a game in the NCAA....

Comment

• This from SI.com on Embiid:
                  SI.com wrote:
                  More to the point, Embiid, who hails from Cameroon, is not the next Hasheem Thabeet or Bismack Biyombo. Despite his newness to the game, Embiid has already displayed the type of hand-eye coordination and skillset that puts his projected game at another level.

The son of a professional handball player, Embiid grew up playing soccer and volleyball, leading to his excellent coordination. Against San Diego State, Embiid was constantly double-teamed and was still able to find teammates for open shots. That kind of passing ability is an innate feel, and hints at a skill level far beyond recent foreign-born NBA post projects. Embiid also runs like a gazelle, showing a much lower risk on his lower body and back than a player like Oden, who had a slew of red flags health-wise.

NBADraft.net already has Embiid projected first in its latest mock. From Drew Wolin:

"Offensively, Embiid's game is quickly expanding, but he can already score in a variety of ways. Going forward, he will likely rely on mid-range jumpers and back to the basket post moves. However, he is already confident taking face up shots out to the college three point line with decent (but not great) form."

NBA Draft Express has Embiid fourth, ahead of potential studs like Aaron Gordon, Marcus Smart, and Dante Exum, and does Chad Ford.

His game against San Diego State on Sunday -- 12 points, 12 rebounds, and 5 blocks in just 26 minutes -- was his fourth straight game in double-figures as a scorer and second straight with a double-double.
                  Source

Comment

• As soon as I saw he played soccer in that article...... *melts*

The guy is gonna be good.

Comment

• Question for you guys... do you take Embid #1 ? And you can't factor in were the raps and wiggins is Canadian and also ignore the fact we have JV... thoughts?

Comment

• Burnit482 wrote: View Post
                        Question for you guys... do you take Embid #1 ? And you can't factor in were the raps and wiggins is Canadian and also ignore the fact we have JV... thoughts?
                        Wiggins hands down. The league is run by wing players and he is a superstar in the making on top of being Canadian

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          Wiggins hands down. The league is run by wing players and he is a superstar in the making on top of being Canadian
                          Not disagreeing ill hold my opinion until i see what others think.

Comment

Question for you guys... do you take Embid #1 ? And you can't factor in were the raps and wiggins is Canadian and also ignore the fact we have JV... thoughts?
                            I always say. Give me a great guard over a great big anyday. Wiggins.

Embiid i think is going to be real good though.
                            Mamba Mentality

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                              Wiggins because in the NBA today you don't need a low post threat to win the championship!
                              "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

No. Embiid, for all he's shown, is still a project, and we've been developing a project in Jonas who looks like he has a very good chance at being a top 3-5 C in this league, and a two-way guy who will be better than most such guys (Noah, Chandler, Hibbert) offensively. Where Embiid may be more fluid, Jonas looks like he'll be more physical, and I'll take the latter these days given how rare it is in elite bigs. Feel like the way Jonas plays will piss off opponents more and throw them off their game, whereas Embiid will really have to maximize his offensive potential because I don't see that physical edge in him.

The Raps really need an elite perimeter player, and Wiggins looks like that guy. I still see him as having the best chance to be the best player in this draft in 3-5 years, and it has nothing to do with him being Canadian. He is a great two-way player already. He looks like he'll fill out strength-wise more naturally than George, who he's been compared to, and he's also more skilled at the same age than George was. He's an athletic freak who's up there with guys like Vince and LeBron in that respect.

If I had the #1 pick, it's Wiggins every time right now. I haven't seen anything to make me change my stance.

*Not to mention with Wiggins size/length and athleticism, you might be looking at a guy who can defend 4 positions on any given night, and even some Cs who may be short or slight...

Comment

Working...
                                X