The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Axel wrote: View Post
    It's truly sad that people have to deal with racism in this day and age.

How much will this affect Smart's draft stock? I think it depends on how he handles the next few days, the pressure at March Madness and the pre-draft interviews. He's still an elite talent and doesn't have a history of red flags.
    It really is sad, but basketball is their job and hate coming from fans will happen, you can't change that. Players r never allowed to engage in physical contact with the fans and what Smart did - wasn't smart at all.

NBA draft is complicated. We've seen many attitude-problem guys drafted with high picks and that's fine. Smart is very frustrated kid right now. If he continues to show attitude problems that way his draft stock will be affected without a question.

BigCamB wrote: View Post
    It's been building up for a while now, teams been losing and he's been showing visible signs of anger. Here's a good article on it.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...rts-reputation

For what it's worth, I don't think it will hurt his stock, he will learn from this and recover. I don't think this is a bad kid at all. Every scouting report I've ever read on him lists his character and leadership as possibly his finest attribute..people make mistakes.
    Scouts make mistakes too.

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
      People keep saying this to justify any opinion they might have, but:

1. Scouting is a lot better and more analytic than it was even a decade ago.
      2. The more intensively scouted a player is, the more accurate his strengths and weaknesses will be identified. There is nigh-uniform consensus on Smart: he's got a lot of character and is a leader, which are two things you definitely want in a point guard. (His downside is that his jumper is shit, but if there's one trait that you can forgive in a college player, it's a shit jumper, because the jumper is probably the easiest NBA-level skill to learn.)

Comment

• rocwell wrote: View Post
        It really is sad, but basketball is their job and hate coming from fans will happen, you can't change that. Players r never allowed to engage in physical contact with the fans and what Smart did - wasn't smart at all.

NBA draft is complicated. We've seen many attitude-problem guys drafted with high picks and that's fine. Smart is very frustrated kid right now. If he continues to show attitude problems that way his draft stock will be affected without a question.

Technically it's not his job. He's a 19-20 year amateur athlete getting racial hatred from a grown ass adult in 2014. The so called "Super fan" should be banned from games. I'm sure the players on Texas Tech wouldn't want a racist cheering them on in games while thinking god knows what about them once their gone from the team.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Meh. If this ludicrous incident makes Smart slip, I couldn't be happier. Maybe Toronto has a legit shot at him. As has been said many times....His character has never been questioned before and has been nothing but praised, by countless basketball people.

Comment

• Is it just me or does Marcus Smart remind you of a bigger K Low?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
              Technically it's not his job. He's a 19-20 year amateur athlete getting racial hatred from a grown ass adult in 2014. The so called "Super fan" should be banned from games. I'm sure the players on Texas Tech wouldn't want a racist cheering them on in games while thinking god knows what about them once their gone from the team.
              It's not his job YET, but he's old enough to understand how to fight back racists. When I was 19-20 years old I knew that the best policy isn't violence against them. And yes, this punk ass fan should be banned for life and even charged with racism offence if there's any evidence. Racist insults are very hard to take. I hope Smart can move on from this ( + from flopping shit ) and continue to work hard on his game.

Comment

• Good game at 1 on CBS. With two players I believe will be in consideration for the raptors pick. Michigan State(Adrien Payne) vs Wisconsin(Sam Dekker).

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Jonathan Givony just retweet this. He runs Draftexpress.com

@AdamZagoria: NBA GM on Smart: 'His play & inability to lead his team to wins is affecting his stock. Not pushing some illiterate drunk redneck.'

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Adrien Payne guarding Sam Dekker on D. Good chance to check how he guards the perimeter.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Gary Harris no where to be found. Just one game but is sort of confirming my thoughts that he's really not that good of a prospect and i have the biggest bust potential listed on him.

Comment

• Teams nowadays are much better equipped to deal with character issues than in the past. As long as the player is willing to accept help, teams are both willing and able to provide the psychological help. And Smart's issues seem trivial compared to one player who's former high school coach said every day he opened the newspaper and didn't see his former player having killed someone was a good day. Raps drafted 17th and took the good character Michael Bradley. 2 picks later Portland took Zach Randolph.
                        If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• What do you guys thing of Adreian Payne? Here is his scouting profile from what i have seen it is very accurate. I think his upside is excellent however, and if put in the right situation he could be a stud. Thoughts?
                          http://www.nbadraft.net/players/adreian-payne

Comment

• Burnit482 wrote: View Post
                            What do you guys thing of Adreian Payne? Here is his scouting profile from what i have seen it is very accurate. I think his upside is excellent however, and if put in the right situation he could be a stud. Thoughts?
                            http://www.nbadraft.net/players/adreian-payne
                            Been talking about him for the last couple days. That's a shit website. You should checkout his profile on draftexpress.com.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• Payne would fit so well in are current system! He would a great back up plan if we can't resign 2-Pat. Only down side to Payne is that he'll be 23 in a week or so.

@Chr1st1anL

Comment

• For a big 23 is young. I've only watched MSU twice this year, so I can't tell you how good he is...What are people saying about him? Is he a 1st or 2nd rounder? Free agent?

Comment

Working...
                                X