Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo had spies in the dressing room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colangelo had spies in the dressing room?

There is a watchful stillness to Ujiri. Unlike Colangelo, he’s listening when people talk, rather than waiting his turn.
    The major shift comes on the bench, where most of coach Dwane Casey’s assistants — many widely perceived as Colangelo’s men rather than Casey’s — have been replaced.

“I told him when I arrived, ‘Coach, there’s no snitch here. There’s no one who’s going to come back and tell me anything. There’s only one snitch, and he’s standing here in front of you. If I have anything to say, I am going to come and say it to you myself.”
    http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ise_kelly.html

This is the first I've heard of this level of meddling coming from Colangelo. Not going to lie, it surprised me.

There are legendary stories of how staffers had to wrestle the phone off him on trade deadline day to stop him from making a deal, just for the sake of making one.
    Last edited by isaacthompson; Fri Sep 27, 2013, 12:15 PM.
    Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

That's a pretty crazy thought to think that (possibly) Colangelo had spies amongst the assistant coaches. It sort of instills some hope in me that last years defense suffered due to BC's meddling and that we can once again return to the type of play Casey showd us the team was capable of in his first year.

Comment

I'm still on the fence on the Rudy deal.

Comment

The word "spies" paints a pretty deceitful picture, and is probably a bit hyperbolic on the part of the writer.

Having said that, I have no doubt that any assistant that got their job from BC and was close to him would be reporting back to him. Whether he was undermining Casey by design, or if it was just a bi-product of that type of situation... the end result is the same and would be pretty damaging to a basketball club.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
            The word "spies" paints a pretty deceitful picture, and is probably a bit hyperbolic on the part of the writer.

Having said that, I have no doubt that any assistant that got their job from BC and was close to him would be reporting back to him. Whether he was undermining Casey by design, or if it was just a bi-product of that type of situation... the end result is the same and would be pretty damaging to a basketball club.
            "Spies" was my choice of words, but Ujiri used "snitch".

Comment

thank god colangelo is gone.

i think it all went downhill last season when Bargnani came back. I tuly believe Colangelo forced DC to play Bargnani to showcase him, trying to get a deal before the deadline.

Comment

That is a good article... all sorts of nuggets of information.

Here is one for perspective:

Ujiri was travelling between cities with a Congolese teammate and a couple of journalists. One journalist put that question to Ujiri’s teammate, “Do you feel pressure?”

“He started laughing and he looked at me. He said, ‘I have an uncle in the Congo . . . ’ — this was during the war — ‘. . . His wife just died, probably of AIDS. He has eight children. The youngest is six months. He has no job. They all live in one room. He has no hope. He doesn’t know how he’s going to feed them tomorrow. That’s pressure.’ ”

And what did the journalist say to that?

Ujiri smiles ruefully: “He was very quiet.”

You take that in, and then you realize . . . I’ve never once gone into anything in this job and felt pressure. That’s the honest truth.”

Little has changed about the team he inherited. He off-loaded Colangelo’s Rosebud in Andrea Bargnani (‘Did you consider keeping him?’ “No,” says Ujiri).

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                  thank god colangelo is gone.

i think it all went downhill last season when Bargnani came back. I tuly believe Colangelo forced DC to play Bargnani to showcase him, trying to get a deal before the deadline.

In other words, doing his job..
                  If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                    In other words, doing his job..
                    Here I thought both their jobs (particualrily last year) were to make the playoffs and not "show case" Bargnani for a trade.....

Almost the entire tenure of Colangelo in Toronto was him worrying about himself more than the team.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
                      Here I thought both their jobs (particualrily last year) were to make the playoffs and not "show case" Bargnani for a trade.....

Almost the entire tenure of Colangelo in Toronto was him worrying about himself more than the team.
                      That's what doesn't make sense to me. If you're a team-first GM/make moves to help the team, then your own welfare takes care of itself.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Cathal Kelly wrote:
                        He added a few small parts — back-up point guard Dwight Buycks, three-point shooter Steve Novak, caveman Tyler Hansbrough.
                        Usually I don't like Kelly, but that made me laugh out loud.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                          Well, they sure didn't wrestle the goddam phone off of him that time.
                          "Stop eating your sushi."
                          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

BC got info from guys he hired and reported to him, and didn't just listen to one guy. Shocking!

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

The overall goal is to build a winner..you have to trade players that aren't fitting and want to get the bet value back for them. If that sacrifices not making the playoffs one year, but making it the next two..
                              If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                              X