Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Colangelo had spies in the dressing room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

p00ka wrote: View Post
    BC got info from guys he hired and reported to him, and didn't just listen to one guy. Shocking!
    You don't find it dysfunctional if the head of an organization hires or recruits people to keep tabs on a principal employee of the organization and report back on the person surreptitiously? You think that's agreeable? If a GM has concerns about his head coach he should address them directly and fix it or fire the guy. If a GM wants input from multiple sources it should be transparent and above board. Stupid political games like the one hinted at in the article are poisonous to any organization. Anyone who has ever worked in that type of environment knows how difficult it is.

In this context, a head coach needs to have confidence and trust in his staff. He needs to be candid with them and vice versa. If he feels like his subordinates are end-running him or going over his head, there are going to be issues. It's no surprise all the assistants were fired if this was the case.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
      You don't find it dysfunctional if the head of an organization hires or recruits people to keep tabs on a principal employee of the organization and report back on the person surreptitiously? You think that's agreeable? If a GM has concerns about his head coach he should address them directly and fix it or fire the guy. If a GM wants input from multiple sources it should be transparent and above board. Stupid political games like the one hinted at in the article are poisonous to any organization. Anyone who has ever worked in that type of environment knows how difficult it is.

In this context, a head coach needs to have confidence and trust in his staff. He needs to be candid with them and vice versa. If he feels like his subordinates are end-running him or going over his head, there are going to be issues. It's no surprise all the assistants were fired if this was the case.
      bold: where is anything stated that says this is what was going on? It seems one word in a MU interview is being extrapolated in some peoples' imaginations to rant about imaginary happenings, but I'd be open to being proven wrong. What's your basis for describing what happened like this?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
        http://www.thestar.com/sports/raptor...ise_kelly.html

This is the first I've heard of this level of meddling coming from Colangelo. Not going to lie, it surprised me.

Who were the snitches?--Micah Nora, Scott Roth?

Comment

bold: where is anything stated that says this is what was going on? It seems one word in a MU interview is being extrapolated in some peoples' imaginations to rant about imaginary happenings, but I'd be open to being proven wrong. What's your basis for describing what happened like this?
          Casey, has admitted that he wasn't allowed to coach the way he wanted to last year and extrapolate what you want from the word 'snitch'. But, basically Ujiri is saying he will be talking directly to Casey, not through one of the assistant coaches.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
            Casey, has admitted that he wasn't allowed to coach the way he wanted to last year and extrapolate what you want from the word 'snitch'. But, basically Ujiri is saying he will be talking directly to Casey, not through one of the assistant coaches.
            I didn't extrapolate anything from the word, but it seems some are insisting their imagination is reality. As far as what you're saying Casey said, that's an entirely different subject.

Comment

My comment was simply in response your post. For reading comprehension purposes, you will note that I specifically, intentionally did not say it was going on. Your quip about "BC got info from guys he hired and reported to him, and didn't just listen to one guy. Shocking!" - that's some spin on the point being discussed. The point I made was simply that, if in an organization something like this is going on, it isn't harmless or pedestrian. It's poisonous and it is, in fact, shocking. I went on to note that in the basketball world this would make it difficult for a coach to do his job properly.

So, to answer your question, I don't have any basis for saying that happened because, firstly, I never claimed that it happened in the Raps organization and, secondly, whether it happened or not is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Now, do I believe something like this went on? I would not be the least surprised. The suggestion that the assistant coaches were more Colangelo guys than Casey guys is fair based on events to date. We also know Colangelo needed control over every aspect of the team. Given the hints in the article above, one can make a fair inference that untoward happenings were going on.

Comment

MY reading comprehension? LOL, Whatever turns your crank.
                Last edited by p00ka; Sat Sep 28, 2013, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I didn't extrapolate anything from the word, but it seems some are insisting their imagination is reality. As far as what you're saying Casey said, that's an entirely different subject.
                  Not really, Masai is just saying he won't meddle in the coaches business. And I wasn't criticizing you. I just used your quotation to follow the conversation.

Comment

I loved the caveman joke.

Another interesting quote is this one...

[qoute]If the tank’s out, is it possible to build a winner without top-five picks?

“Tough,” Ujiri says. “Also possible, but it’s tough.”[quote/]
                    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                      thank god colangelo is gone.

i think it all went downhill last season when Bargnani came back. I tuly believe Colangelo forced DC to play Bargnani to showcase him, trying to get a deal before the deadline.
                      I think it goes deeper then that. BC brought Casey in to fix the Raps defensive woes and give us an identity opposite of being the doormats of the NBA.

However, BC also has the Phoenix vision of a fast-paced, high-scoring, purely offensive team driven by a Steve Nash-like PG. Hence selling out to get Nash. (which was stupid)

I think BC couldn't resist the urge to implement his single-minded vision, even at the expense of the Raps defensive success during the shortened season. It was clear from Casey's comments last year about "more balance" (i.e. better scoring) that BC was interloping and interfering.

Casey knew that the key to success for the limited talent that they had was to be tenacious on defence. His vision was to build a defensive culture and reputation, and bring in scoring as time passes, which is the way to build a tough-minded contender. BC jettisoned all that by trading for Gay.

Now, Gay isn't all bad defensively. He's actually pretty decent. My whole point is, there was to conflicting visions between Casey and BC. I think BC wasn't necessarily trying to showcase Bargs to trade him, but actually harboured hopes that Andrea would finally emerge into the stretch 4 scoring threat that he envisioned in the first place.

All-in-all, I'm glad that Brian is gone. Good riddance.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Now, do I believe something like this went on? I would not be the least surprised. The suggestion that the assistant coaches were more Colangelo guys than Casey guys is fair based on events to date. We also know Colangelo needed control over every aspect of the team. Given the hints in the article above, one can make a fair inference that untoward happenings were going on.
                        It seems to me that the issue is: should assistant coaches ever be the GMs guys as opposed to the coaches guys? Now, I've never been an NBA head coach, nor an NBA GM, but I would guess that when putting a coaching staff together, it should go like this:

1) GM hires head coach.

2) Head coach chooses assistant staff, who are hired pending approval of the GM.

Any situation in which an assistant is chosen by the GM, with anything but the full endorsement of the head coach, seems to me like it could easily get toxic. And maybe this was the case.

I just came across this - something of a response to Kelly's article:

Doug Smith wrote:
                        Q: Hello Doug

What precipitated the mass purging of Dwayne Casey's assistant coaches?

Was there a conflict in coaching methods?

Or a perceived lack of connection with the players?

Or was it simply "change for the sake of change"?

And have Johnny Davis, Micah Nori, Eric Hughes and Scott Roth found new jobs in the NBA?

Gary from Uxbridge

A: It was a combination of things, as it always is.

A desire for some fresh voices and faces and ideas was a part of it, two that they wanted back – Nori and Hughes – both got better jobs elsewhere. Micah got a three-year deal in Sacramento, Eric moved from a behind-the-bench developmental coach to work as a full-on assistant with his good friend Jason Kidd in Brooklyn and others just found what they think are better jobs with more security. Remember, none of them had guarantees here past last July and with Dwane on the last year of his deal, it’d be prudent to look somewhere else, wouldn’t it?

But there was no “rift” or lack of connection or anything, just the normal course of NBA business.

http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/201...nd-mail-3.html
                        Kind of a sly post by Mr. Smith.

Starts with some meaningless journalist-babble to begin to diffuse the notion that there was any discord within last year's coaching staff ("A desire for some fresh voices and faces and ideas was a part of it,").

Then he explicitly states that both Nora and Hughes were wanted back.

Then he quickly brushes of the letting go of Davis and Roth as just "the normal course of NBA business".

But if Casey wanted those two back, they'd be back, right?

Ladies and gentlemen, WE HAVE OUR SNITCHES.

(BTW, I'm thoroughly enjoying this hungover, Sunday afternoon detective work I've taken up.)
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

LOL, the insistence to speculate, even with certainty, over this "snitch" thing is reaching comical dimensions. Nobody here has any idea what the source of that comment from MU was. Hell it could have come from something entirely outside Raps' coaching staff issues, but TMZing is a alive and well at RR. Why? Because the speculation gives the chance to whine some more about BC? In my opinion, that's pretty sad as a focus for basketball fans, but to each his own I guess. Whatever turns your crank.

Comment

LOL, the insistence to speculate, even with certainty, over this "snitch" thing is reaching comical dimensions. Nobody here has any idea what the source of that comment from MU was. Hell it could have come from something entirely outside Raps' coaching staff issues, but TMZing is a alive and well at RR. Why? Because the speculation gives the chance to whine some more about BC? In my opinion, that's pretty sad as a focus for basketball fans, but to each his own I guess. Whatever turns your crank.
                            Me, I was intentionally reaching for comical dimensions.
                            "Stop eating your sushi."
                            "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                            "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                            - Jack Armstrong

Comment

True, but the number of us who have listened to Sam Mitchell interviews about the environment behind the scenes have listened to it being inferred to for quite some time. This subtle dig combined with past comments by S.Mitch at least raises eyebrows.

Comment

I just care, because it might explain some of Casey's frustrations last year. Also, we're all bored waiting for training camp to start.

Comment

Working...
                                X