Drake Global Ambassador of the Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    Gotta give props to Drake - risky move to associate himself with a 'loser' brand like the Raps, when he's already on top of the entertainment world. If they continue to suck (which is mostly out of his control), then his image is going to take a hit. I guess he's really into 'starting from the bottom'.
    The raptors can use Drake's popularity and Drake can use the raptors popularity. I doubt his image is going to take much of a hit..if it was too big of a risk, he wouldn't do it.

Shiit, the day I find myself defending the handicapped guy on Degrassi..Might as well learn to at least respect him if he's going to be the global ambassador of my fav team.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Say what you will, but the announcement of Drake and All-star game got us on the frontpage of Grantland
      http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...kend-and-drake
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

And in a vacuum, it will fail

But alone, it’s window dressing, fizz. The All-Star Game won’t help much, either. It’s recently been held in New Orleans, in Orlando, in Atlanta, in Phoenix, after which their best players left.
        But unless Ujiri assembles talent that fits and produces, who cares whether Drake is selling a team with one best-of-five playoff win in 20 years?

So great, Drake will be associated with the team; hey, maybe there’s room for Justin Bieber, too, to entice the even younger generation. The Raptors will put up billboards, and they will be shiny and bright. And it won’t matter a bit if they don’t have anything to sell.

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ey-do-not-win/

I think Arthur is not in the demographic Drake is appealing to (for the record I am not either). I think he underestimates the influence he would have. Who would you listen to if you were a 20 something free agent on the merits of Toronto: a stiff in a suit or Drake?

But in the end Arthur is right: none of this means shit if the raptors don't win.

Comment

Piece I linked to above was written by a guy who lives in LA and it's a huge homer piece... here's my favourite bits

I have big dreams for the Raptors. Dreams that start with Masai Ujiri sabotaging this year's team, continue with Adam Silver rigging his first NBA lottery to give the Raptors Andrew Wiggins, and end with the Raptors bringing back their 1998 jerseys while Wiggins and Jonas Christ Superstar take over the world in, like, 2017. We can do this.
          Conflicted Drizzy feelings and vague job description aside, we have to applaud any NBA team that (a) has a Global Ambassador, and (b) chooses a rapper as its Global Ambassador. Does Drake make the Raptors cool? Of course he doesn't. Not by himself. Drake is not Jay Z. But all this is a good start to making the Raptors relevant for the first time in what feels like a decade.

That's the biggest goal here, and everyone should be onboard. Think about the cities across the NBA. I've never been to Toronto, but I'd much rather visit there than:

• Oklahoma City
          • Charlotte
          • Indianapolis
          • Phoenix
          • Orlando
          • Salt Lake City
          • Detroit (apologies to America's Team)
          • San Antonio
          • Cleveland
          • Sacramento
          • Minneapolis
          • Milwaukee

Toronto beats all those cities, and probably more if you want to start getting into stupid arguments.
          the Raptors may still look like the Bobcats of the Great North for another year or so, but soon enough this team won't suck, and after that they'll go back to the '99 jerseys, and soon after it'll be All-Star Weekend, and everyone will realize that Toronto has been pretty great all along.
          Maybe US sports writers didn't shit on us for all those years because we were in Canada, maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with us SUCKING GIANT @$$ BALLS?

Now that there's a reason to be excited about this team we will see more positive pieces by sports writers.
          Last edited by ezz_bee; Tue Oct 1, 2013, 08:26 AM.
          "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
            Piece I linked to above was written by a guy who lives in LA and it's a huge homer piece... here's my favourite bits

Maybe US sports writers didn't shit on us for all those years because we were in Canada, maybe, just maybe, it had something to do with us SUCKING GIANT @$$ BALLS?

Now that there's a reason to be excited about this team we will see more positive pieces by sports writers.
            Where is the link?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              Where is the link?
              Never mind!!

Comment

IMO, this is a move that certainly can't hurt anybody. But like suggested above, it doesn't mean a damn thing if the team continues to lose games.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                  The raptors can use Drake's popularity and Drake can use the raptors popularity. I doubt his image is going to take much of a hit..if it was too big of a risk, he wouldn't do it.

Shiit, the day I find myself defending the handicapped guy on Degrassi..Might as well learn to at least respect him if he's going to be the global ambassador of my fav team.
                  Well that's it right there. Unfortunately, other than the hardcore fans like us here on RR, the Raptors 'popularity' is synonymous with futility. On major US media, just mentioning you are a Raptors fans is met with the immediate responses like: "really?? I mean for real?? and assorted snickering and snide comments". Even right here in our own backyard, the majority of Toronto sports fans (i.e. hockey town) don't give a rats ass about the Raps, sadly.

Comment

golden wrote: View Post
                    Well that's it right there. Unfortunately, other than the hardcore fans like us here on RR, the Raptors 'popularity' is synonymous with futility. On major US media, just mentioning you are a Raptors fans is met with the immediate responses like: "really?? I mean for real?? and assorted snickering and snide comments". Even right here in our own backyard, the majority of Toronto sports fans (i.e. hockey town) don't give a rats ass about the Raps, sadly.
                    Winning cures all!

Comment

When he releases his hit single dropping rhymes about the title the Raptors just won come ask me my opinion haha.

Right now he could probably make a pretty good single titled: "Bricks & Pylons".

Comment

Just want to hear everyone's opinions on something. From what I read in this thread, there is a huge discussion on what Drake actually does and what he can do for the Raptors, but I think the better question is do you guys really think that free agents really care about playing for a team that a famous rapper as a global ambassador? Personally, I don't really think free agents care so much about what artist is repping what team. I think it plays like less than 10% in the decision making process of what team free agents choose. I believe that FAs care more about things such as possibility of winning whether it be playoffs or a title (or possibility of rejuvenating a career for some players), family, and money. I don't really think that Raptors will attract free agents just because we have Drake as our global ambassador. Can't really see Raptors attracting medium - big free agents if our team is garbage next year just because Raptors have Drake. Again, we needs to have a winning culture and show the league that we are capable of winning and making the playoffs (which is small ATM). Just my two cents. Thoughts?

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                          .... Just my two cents. Thoughts?
                          I am sure you are right.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
                            Just want to hear everyone's opinions on something. From what I read in this thread, there is a huge discussion on what Drake actually does and what he can do for the Raptors, but I think the better question is do you guys really think that free agents really care about playing for a team that a famous rapper as a global ambassador? Personally, I don't really think free agents care so much about what artist is repping what team. I think it plays like less than 10% in the decision making process of what team free agents choose. I believe that FAs care more about things such as possibility of winning whether it be playoffs or a title (or possibility of rejuvenating a career for some players), family, and money. I don't really think that Raptors will attract free agents just because we have Drake as our global ambassador. Can't really see Raptors attracting medium - big free agents if our team is garbage next year just because Raptors have Drake. Again, we needs to have a winning culture and show the league that we are capable of winning and making the playoffs (which is small ATM). Just my two cents. Thoughts?
                            I don't think the Drake news was meant to affect anything on the court. It's purely a marketing maneuver. It'll have as much impact on winning/losing as new uniforms will.

Comment

Drake will be nothing but a public figure. The main goal the Toronto Raptors need to achieve is to become Canada's team. Most teams have one state rooting for them, Toronto could have an entire country. Which explains the rebrand and the all star game announcement. Time to put basketball on the map for Canada. In basketball terms, in the next 4-6 years Canada will have some of the greatest talent around and a competing Olympic roster. Wiggins, Bennett, Pangos, Kelly, Thompson, and many more. Canada needs to televise Kansas games for Wiggins, networks need to wake the fuck up and realize people will watch of you market basketball correctly. And if that means Drake has to be the one to tell us, then thats fine with me.

Comment

Cbradley wrote: View Post
                                Drake will be nothing but a public figure. The main goal the Toronto Raptors need to achieve is to become Canada's team. Most teams have one state rooting for them, Toronto could have an entire country. Which explains the rebrand and the all star game announcement. Time to put basketball on the map for Canada. In basketball terms, in the next 4-6 years Canada will have some of the greatest talent around and a competing Olympic roster. Wiggins, Bennett, Pangos, Kelly, Thompson, and many more. Canada needs to televise Kansas games for Wiggins, networks need to wake the fuck up and realize people will watch of you market basketball correctly. And if that means Drake has to be the one to tell us, then thats fine with me.
                                I think there are 2 points blended into 1 here.

1. The Raptors

and

2. Canada Basketball

I don't think the success or exposure of Wiggins, Thompson, Bennett, etc. will have any direct affect on the Raptors (especially if the Raptors continue to miss the playoffs year after year). The only way for the nation to embrace the Raptors is with wins. Just like how the Blue Jays did it 20+ years ago.

Comment

Working...
                                X