No announcement yet.

Drake Global Ambassador of the Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I understand what your saying, but if people are more exposed and realize the success of Canada Basketball, they will be more engaged with the NBA and therefore, become a fan of the only Canadaian team, the Toronto Raptors. There needs to be an atmosphere like Gstate in order to get strong players who will stay and that can translate into wins. Wins arent coming soon, and success is long term, why not increase our current mediocure fan base.

Comment

It's not about free agents, you're looking in the wrong direction. It's about the atmosphere, Drake is now associated with the raptors, raptors can easily come up in a conversation that starts out about Drake. It's about building the allusion of hype. Drake can hype the raptors.
      If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
        It's not about free agents, you're looking in the wrong direction. It's about the atmosphere, Drake is now associated with the raptors, raptors can easily come up in a conversation that starts out about Drake. It's about building the allusion of hype. Drake can hype the raptors.
        The problem is can the added hype of the Raptors really attract free agents since that's what really matters in the long run; to win a championship or at least make the playoffs first off (One step at a time I suppose). I don't care about what famous artist is repping our team and I don't think free agents care either. I mean it's nice to have a famous rapper hyping up our city and our team to the NBA and it doesn't hurt to have him being our global ambassador, but in the long run, who cares? And you're wrong, it is about the free agents. He'll help promote Canadian Basketball, but again, I don't see Drake helping us get big free-agents if we aren't even remotely in the playoff picture. I also don't think this will help increase free agency in Toronto in the future as much either. It has shown that a player much rather get a chance at a ring than come back home to rep their country. Nash didn't want to come back (nor was he obligated) to Canada and play for his country's only team. He much rather go to the Lakers and try to win a championship (which unfortunately looks like he won't). He was tempted to come and almost did, but it just goes to show that just because more Canadian players are entering the NBA doesn't mean that we can necessarily attract them to the Raptors easily until we can prove to them that we are a competitive team that can win!

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
          The problem is can the added hype of the Raptors really attract free agents since that's what really matters in the long run; to win a championship or at least make the playoffs first off (One step at a time I suppose). I don't care about what famous artist is repping our team and I don't think free agents care either. I mean it's nice to have a famous rapper hyping up our city and our team to the NBA and it doesn't hurt to have him being our global ambassador, but in the long run, who cares? And you're wrong, it is about the free agents. He'll help promote Canadian Basketball, but again, I don't see Drake helping us get big free-agents if we aren't even remotely in the playoff picture. I also don't think this will help increase free agency in Toronto in the future as much either. It has shown that a player much rather get a chance at a ring than come back home to rep their country. Nash didn't want to come back (nor was he obligated) to Canada and play for his country's only team. He much rather go to the Lakers and try to win a championship (which unfortunately looks like he won't). He was tempted to come and almost did, but it just goes to show that just because more Canadian players are entering the NBA doesn't mean that we can necessarily attract them to the Raptors easily until we can prove to them that we are a competitive team that can win!
          As has been mentioned a few times already, it is very unlikely this move was made to attract Free Agents. It's more likely this was about attracting Free Press. And good Press at that.
          With better Press comes more attention to the team. With more attention comes more fans.
          It's about hitching our PR ride to a PR winner.

The only thing that will attract Free Agents is winning.
          And that puts us in the same boat as about 20 other teams in the league.
          Last edited by Joey; Thu Oct 3, 2013, 08:53 PM.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post

I just finished saying it's not about free agents and then you go right back to free agents... What gives man? Yes, Lebron isn't going to sign in toronto because drake is global ambassador. Congrats, here's a cookie!

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
            As has been mentioned a few times already, it is very unlikely this move was made to attract Free Agents. It's more likely this was about attracting Free Press. And good Press at that.
            With better Press comes more attention to the team. With more attention comes more fans.
            It's about hitching our PR ride to a PR winner.

The only thing that will attract Free Agents is winning.
            And that puts us in the same boat as about 20 other teams in the league.
            it's a domino effect, you just need that first domino to fall and off to the races!

Drake is a piece towards that first domino falling.
            If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
            X