Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raps Scrimmage in Halifax - a first glance chance - what to look for on Sat Oct 5th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GLF wrote: View Post
    ...Gaining that weight actually looks like it was a bad idea for Rudy. He looked slow and as Sherm said it looks like he lost some of his touch....
    Rudy has got 4 more weeks of preseason games and practices to get used to his new weight. I wouldn't be surprised if he lost a few pounds between now and October 31. He put on 20 pounds, but a significant portion of that is fat and water. He will probably lose at least 5-6 pounds over the next little while.

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
      Morales: Non-factor outside of a garbage time hoop. Didn't stand out whatsoever.

Buycks: Got better as the day went on and looked completely comfortable on an NBA court. His outside shot was better than I expected and he did a decent job of getting to the paint and setting up others as well.

Augustin: Was really impressed with him. Looks like he's in great shape and did a pretty good job quarterbacking the black team when he was out there. Set JV up with a couple of really nice looks.

DeRozan: Best player on the court. Was knocking down the three regularly, got to the rim under control for finishes and had his way in the post against anyone who was matched up against him. Looked really good.

Gay: Didn't seem nearly as hungry as most of the other players and didn't have a great game as a result. Ball movement seemed to die with him on offense; the rock would be whipping around until Gay caught it, slowed everything down and then went 1-on-1 to make a tough shot. When he's making them he looks like an all star, when he's missing them you think, "Why does he force such bad looks?"

Lowry: Knocked a few threes down but didn't get anyone else involved. I skimmed through the comments before me and some seem to think he played awful - I wouldn't go quite that far but he certainly didn't impress. For all the talk about him being more lean and explosive, he seemed to settle for a lot of long shots with a hand in his face.

JV: Solid afternoon. Got some buckets in the post, a couple big blocks, and hit a few teammates with nice looks on cuts to the hoop. Overall he played well.

Amir: Regular Amir game. Lots of hustle, worked the glass. Brought the energy.

Wright: Had a great first half with a couple of big dunks. Hit the offensive glass really hard and was rewarded. Tons of energy out there but didn't get nearly as many opportunities in the second half.

Stone: Had a few moments but was sort of underwhelming overall.

Novak: Got a couple good looks in the second half and got one to go. Fan favorite already, but he's close to useless unless you're able to create catch and shoot opportunities for him.

Daye: Knocked down quite a few treys and had a real solid game overall. If he continues to shoot it that good, he could easily supplant Novak as the team's token shooter as he's actually able to do a few other things offensively and his length on D makes it a lot tougher to score on. He does seem really immature though - not a bad guy necessarily but the body language is terrible. Always shaking his head after mistakes or complaining about calls. Hopefully Casey can help him evolve into a more mentally strong player.

Gray: Set some screens, played decent post D, cleaned up a little mess at the rim. He was Aaron Gray, basically.

Ross: Had a decent start but was a lot less noticeable as the afternoon wore on. DD was going at him, and getting the best of him whenever they were on the court with each other.

Did I miss anyone?
      Ya - fields. Did some good things .. but shot looked as ugly as ever, so not sure if the good stuff he brings will outweigh the fact we may have to play 4 on 5 when hes out there.

Otherwise, good thoughts

Comment

• Anybody have specifics or an idea on number of 3s made/attempted for each player? Really curious..

Comment

• Anyone know if there's a way to watch a replay of this game?

Comment

• phez wrote: View Post
            y'all expecting a lot from a scrimmage in halifax, lol
            better to be critical now before a world of suck comes during the season when everyone says

"we just didn't try hard enough"

Comment

• If DD can shoot/score like that all year, I'll ignore weak rebounds and assists.... hell, even mediocre defense will get a pass.

Comment

• 6/25???!!!!!!.....it's just preseason.....it's just preseason....it's just preseason....it's just preseason......

Comment

• really disappointed that I missed the game but what...the....fuck.. 6 of 25????

after reading all the comments, even tho it is all based on one scrimmage, rudy is starting to worry me

Comment

• Demar went 3 of 4 from 3. So there's that.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                      really disappointed that I missed the game but what...the....fuck.. 6 of 25????

after reading all the comments, even tho it is all based on one scrimmage, rudy is starting to worry me
                      don't worry about him, its just a matter of time before he gets used to to his body,he was ripping through the defense like crazy you should have seen him but he just didn't have enough to finish it off. if i were you i wouldn't worry too much.
                      What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                      The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                      No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                        Demar went 3 of 4 from 3. So there's that.
                        You know despite my criticism and doubt of DeRozan, I really, really, really want to see him succeed and I would love to be as wrong about him as I was about Bargnani.

With that said, I am really happy on his showing today BUT (because there is always a but - lol) I reserve the right for skepticism until after the All-Star break. The issue with DeRozan has always been consistency. He started 2011-12 on a tear from 3 and ended 12-13 on a tear - in between, not so much. He has shown stretches of using his significant size advantage over most SG on the glass but overall he has been average at best. Same with creating for others and going strong to the hoop.

Anyways, it is a great start. I hope consistency is something he brings to his game this season. Regardless of if MU keeps him or trades him, his success is vital to the Raptors immediate future.

Comment

• mountio wrote: View Post
                          Ya - fields. Did some good things .. but shot looked as ugly as ever, so not sure if the good stuff he brings will outweigh the fact we may have to play 4 on 5 when hes out there.

Otherwise, good thoughts
                          Yeah I missed Fields and Acy.

Fields - Looked better than he did last year but the elbow is still suspect. His jumper has a big time hitch in it. He was alright though; made a few nice plays and guarded Gay effectively when he was on him.

Acy - The fact that I forgot him the first time probably isn't a good sign. I was expecting him to be flying around the court considering he's on the fringe of the rotation but I can't remember a single play involving him from the afternoon beside a long jumper that wasn't close near the end of the game.

Comment

• FoxMachine wrote: View Post
                            really disappointed that I missed the game but what...the....fuck.. 6 of 25????

He missed a lot of shots that he would normally make. Game was very scrappy.
                            I wouldn't worry at all.

If Austin Daye continues to play like that, and know his role in the offence, then I think he will be a welcome addition to the bench. Same with Augustin. They did exactly what was expected of them, and nothing more.
                            Last edited by Joey; Sat Oct 5, 2013, 06:18 PM.

Comment

• Jclaw wrote: View Post
                              6/25???!!!!!!.....it's just preseason.....it's just preseason....it's just preseason....it's just preseason......
                              LOL. Nice to see that the eye surgery worked.

Comment

• golden wrote: View Post
                                LOL. Nice to see that the eye surgery worked.
                                this

Comment

Working...
                                X