Buycks, Stone or Kabongo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

magoon wrote: View Post
    Choosing Stone over Chris Wright for the 15th slot is basically a big neon sign saying WE'RE TRADING LOWRY because there is no reason at all to have four point guards on one team, even if two of them are projects and one is bad
    Or it says WE SIGNED A COUPLE POINT GUARDS WE DIDN'T REALLY WANT THAT MUCH BECAUSE THIS GUY COULDN'T CLEAR MEDICAL WAIVERS AND NOW HE'S CLEARED MEDICAL WAIVERS SO WE'RE SIGNING HIM LIKE WE HAD PLANNED.

It might say that too.
    That, or a whole bunch of other things.
    Like maybe Augustin and Buycks aren't gelling so well with the coaches or players.

I would prefer a center, but after that I feel like point guard is still our sketchiest position, despite the 'depth'

So I can see a few reasons why having four points guards, in this case, makes sense.

Comment

forget all those guys, we need Roko back
      NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
        thing is, if Stone could shoot decently he'd be very valuable off the bench because he can already defend and distribute
        yaaa he can distribute as well as any cashier handing a customer a bag... running the offense and getting players a good shot opportunity is something else. He has a really hard time making it half court his handles arent that good. Hes a good defender though thats no lie.

Buycks for back up

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
          yaaa he can distribute as well as any cashier handing a customer a bag... running the offense and getting players a good shot opportunity is something else. He has a really hard time making it half court his handles arent that good. Hes a good defender though thats no lie.

Buycks for back up
          I've noticed that about Stone's handles too. For a PG, he doesn't seem to be too confident with his dribbles.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            I've noticed that about Stone's handles too. For a PG, he doesn't seem to be too confident with his dribbles.
            You have to remember his not fully healthy yet. He said himself his only 60 percent in the interview. He lacks confidence cause he doesn't feel at his best.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Can't Fields and Augustine/Buycks share running the offense off the bench? Stone is just a good defender and thats why he is 15th man he wont actually play besides garbage time on blowout wins/Loses.

Comment

Can't Fields and Augustine/Buycks share running the offense off the bench? Stone is just a good defender and thats why he is 15th man he wont actually play besides garbage time on blowout wins/Loses.
                This isn't really to argue as much as it's just my two cents, but after witnessing some preseason games with him, I'd have to say Austin Daye is the 15th man. There is absolutely no situation where I'd want him in the game. And even just 2 weeks ago I was thinking maybe he can outplay Novak for some shooter's minutes...but despite having better tools, he's just a liability out there.

I think Stone will be in that group of guys on the end of the bench though, with Acy, Novak, and Gray. All these guys bring something useful to the table, but also all are limited...However I don't think any are as cripplingly limited as Daye (considering roles).

Comment

I disagree with that. People forget that Massai signed Stone first. I really feel like Buycks was the back up plan cause, Stone failed his physical. Buycks turned out better than excepted. I really feel that when Stone gets healthy his seriously going to challenge for that back up PG
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Man I love this thread!! We're argueing about back up pg's that couldn't hold Luke Ridnour's jock

Comment

At this point, I can't see anyone surpassing Augustin as the primary backup....and he's not even that good.

Comment

If Lowry gets traded (which is entirely possible) and if they do not get a starting quality PG in return, the Raptors will be screwed... that would definitely initiate the tank brigade.

Comment

At this point, I can't see anyone surpassing Augustin as the primary backup....and he's not even that good.
                          Really? Augustin has been awful. And really the only way that he's been better than Buycks is that he's turned it over less....He looks more comfortable out there, but he is not at all more effective.

At this point, Augustin has the job because of his comfort and NBA experience....It's really not that hard to imagine Buycks, or possibly even Stone, outplaying him for minutes down the line. Right now, Dwight is averaging more minutes, a better FG%, better FT %, better rebounds, better assists, better steals, less fouls and more points....the only "edge" for Augustin is he turns it over less and so far has a decent 3 pt %. Except that despite the lower TOs, his AST/TO is actually worse because of his awful assist #s. .......so really, the only positive in Augustin's entire game is that he is a decent 3 pt shooter.

Comment

well ya I suppose forgot about his knee problems, it can severely hinder his dribbling by any defender. For now I give stone the benefit of the doubt. Novak I dont see being an end of the bench guy we need his shooting he will play regularly off the bench. Buycks (at least to start the season) Acy, Gray Stone and Daye will be the guys you never see play besides garbage time I think.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                              Really? Augustin has been awful. And really the only way that he's been better than Buycks is that he's turned it over less....He looks more comfortable out there, but he is not at all more effective.

At this point, Augustin has the job because of his comfort and NBA experience....It's really not that hard to imagine Buycks, or possibly even Stone, outplaying him for minutes down the line. Right now, Dwight is averaging more minutes, a better FG%, better FT %, better rebounds, better assists, better steals, less fouls and more points....the only "edge" for Augustin is he turns it over less and so far has a decent 3 pt %. Except that despite the lower TOs, his AST/TO is actually worse because of his awful assist #s. .......so really, the only positive in Augustin's entire game is that he is a decent 3 pt shooter.
                              Both Augustin's and Buycks' minutes have come in glorified pre-season garbage time. I'm not sure either player has shared any significant court time with even 2 starters so far. So I'm reluctant to place any value on their preseason statistics. That is, they don't seem accurately representative of what will happen once the "real" games start.

The only thing I know for sure is that Augustin is an NBA-ready PG (for at least 15 minutes per game), based solely on previous experience. I can't say that about either Buycks or Stone....yet.
                              Last edited by Nilanka; Fri Oct 18, 2013, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Both Augustin's and Buycks' minutes have come in glorified pre-season garbage time. I'm not sure either player has shared any significant court time with even 2 starters so far. So I'm reluctant to place any value on their preseason statistics. That is, they don't seem accurately representative of what will happen once the "real" games start.

The only thing I know for sure is that Augustin is an NBA-ready PG (for at least 15 minutes per game), based solely on previous experience. I can't say that about either Buycks or Stone....yet.
                                I don't know. From what I've seen with Augustin, there is really no part of his game that is of very high quality....He struggles to run the point. He struggles to make basic plays like the drive and kick, or the entry pass. He has less burst than Buycks, and has seemed less tenacious on D (which could be because Buycks is hungrier). He can't create any offense for himsefl, and really struggles to for others. Augustin is a below-average NBA PG. He was below average as a starter, and he's been even worse as a reserve.

Does "NBA ready" really count when you look worse than a rookie? Shouldn't "NBA ready" have to do with skill and performance rather than aggregate experience? To me Buycks has looked more "ready" in that sense, and just needs to gain more confidence in himself, as well as mesh with the team. His upside seems higher than Augustin, and he's not at all so raw that it'd be a huge problem to play him 10-15 mpg.

Comment

Working...
                                X