No announcement yet.

Buycks, Stone or Kabongo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I decided to do a bit of research on our new PG Julyan Stone. If follow draftexpress than you all know about the article he has every year called"Just by the number" article. An article that breaks down all the players in that draft class by numbers and position. Our newest raptor didn't do so well in the scoring departments.

He was last out off all the guard in the 2011 draft in Point Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 9.1. Came last at Three Pointers Attempted Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 1.6. Third from the bottom in Three Pointers Attempts Per Field Goal Attempts with 0.25. Seventh from the bottom in Free Throws Attempted Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 4.2. One of his positive the offensive side was his Free Throw Attempts Per Possession. Where tied for first with Kyrie Irving 0.48. In True Shooting Percentage he was in the middle of the pack with 56%

He did extremely well in categories that matter to be a PG!

He was top 10 in Assist Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 5.6. He was second last in Turnovers Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 2.0. Which is just AWESOME! I know all you die hard Calderon fans are going to love this. He was first in Assist to Turnover Ratio with 2.83. The good just keep coming. As he was first in the probably the most important stat. The "Pure Point Rating" where he had 4.41. Where other than Darius Morris he was heads and shoulders above every other guard in the 2011 draft.

DEFENCE

Apparently this is what he is known for. The stats don't point the contrary. He was first in Rebounds Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 8.0. Middle of the pack when it comes too Steal Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 1.6. He was top 5 in Blocks Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 0.6.

So what have we learned? Well i learned that he will not lead our bench in scoring. That opposing players will go under every screen with him. We've also learned that Juju is a defensive point guard that would rather get others good shots than himself. That he also does it very efficiently. I think I might be more excited to see what he brings to summer league more that our own rooks.
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Kabongo just isn't good enough for NBA, best of luck to him in the D-league, Europe or China. But Buycks, Augustine, Stone is fine for your back-ups..
      -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
      -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
        I decided to do a bit of research on our new PG Julyan Stone. If follow draftexpress than you all know about the article he has every year called"Just by the number" article. An article that breaks down all the players in that draft class by numbers and position. Our newest raptor didn't do so well in the scoring departments.

He was last out off all the guard in the 2011 draft in Point Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 9.1. Came last at Three Pointers Attempted Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 1.6. Third from the bottom in Three Pointers Attempts Per Field Goal Attempts with 0.25. Seventh from the bottom in Free Throws Attempted Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 4.2. One of his positive the offensive side was his Free Throw Attempts Per Possession. Where tied for first with Kyrie Irving 0.48. In True Shooting Percentage he was in the middle of the pack with 56%

He did extremely well in categories that matter to be a PG!

He was top 10 in Assist Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 5.6. He was second last in Turnovers Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 2.0. Which is just AWESOME! I know all you die hard Calderon fans are going to love this. He was first in Assist to Turnover Ratio with 2.83. The good just keep coming. As he was first in the probably the most important stat. The "Pure Point Rating" where he had 4.41. Where other than Darius Morris he was heads and shoulders above every other guard in the 2011 draft.

DEFENCE

Apparently this is what he is known for. The stats don't point the contrary. He was first in Rebounds Per-40 Minutes Pace Adjusted with 8.0. Middle of the pack when it comes too Steal Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 1.6. He was top 5 in Blocks Per-40 Minutes Adjusted with 0.6.

So what have we learned? Well i learned that he will not lead our bench in scoring. That opposing players will go under every screen with him. We've also learned that Juju is a defensive point guard that would rather get others good shots than himself. That he also does it very efficiently. I think I might be more excited to see what he brings to summer league more that our own rooks.
        So this was something I posted right before he failed his physical. Didn't think it got a lot of attention because of the failed physical and he was written off.
        @Chr1st1anL

Comment

So this was something I posted right before he failed his physical. Didn't think it got a lot of attention because of the failed physical and he was written off.
          That explains the summer league comment at the end.

nice piece.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Nobody. We just haven't seen what PG skills he has yet.
            I feel he loses a lot of his value if your not using him at PG. You could always use him as Tony Allen player but, roles like that don't don't bring much unless if his starting.
            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I feel he loses a lot of his value if your not using him at PG. You could always use him as Tony Allen player but, roles like that don't don't bring much unless if his starting.
              Considering we're talking about a 4th string player, who much "value" does he really have?

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                Considering we're talking about a 4th string player, who much "value" does he really have?
                "Value" might be the wrong word. Takes away from his skill set. Just like telling Klow to be just a pass first PG.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

"Value" might be the wrong word. Takes away from his skill set. Just like telling Klow to be just a pass first PG.
                  Well, I sort of agree, but also disagree. You want to utilize his point skills, but that doesn't mean you have to play him at PG. There are plenty of guys with good passing skills who can be used at other positions, and then it just depends on who else is on the floor with them.

The classic example is Diaw, who was stupidly used positionally as a PG very early on in his career, but as soon as he was traded to PHX, they moved him to the forward spot and used him as a point forward and initiator from the post. Even though at many times they also had Nash, the best passing PG in the league, on the floor with him.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                    Well, I sort of agree, but also disagree. You want to utilize his point skills, but that doesn't mean you have to play him at PG. There are plenty of guys with good passing skills who can be used at other positions, and then it just depends on who else is on the floor with them.

The classic example is Diaw, who was stupidly used positionally as a PG very early on in his career, but as soon as he was traded to PHX, they moved him to the forward spot and used him as a point forward and initiator from the post. Even though at many times they also had Nash, the best passing PG in the league, on the floor with him.
                    Never knew that guy had Lebron type of play, didn't believed till checked by myself.
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Buychs for backup at 1 AND 2.

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                      If Stone winds up making the team as the 15th man on the roster, that's suddenly a lot of competition for the 3rd and possibly backup PG spot(s). Given that they'd all likely be on 1-year contracts, I like that approach. It also speaks more to rebuilding than competing to me, but that's another conversation (although it would be intersting to see how the PG spot is managed if the team starts the season on fire and looks to be a sure-fire playoff team).

Gun to my head, I probably go with Stone, thinking more for the long-term. I'd rather give him time to develop ahead of both Buycks and Augustin, given his age, size and defensive prowess.
                      This morning oct 16 coach casey made a significant statement about the point guard situation. He said with Buycks good 4 years at Marquette his speed scoring ball distribution, and defence not to mention his LEAGUE MVP in Europe plus 23 pts per game in the Summer league made him BETTER than anyone available in the last half of the first and all of the second round of last years NBA draft!! Steve Fisher

Comment

To me the Spurs are the type of team (and coach) that is able to extract the best out of a player, get them to overachieve. If Myck was cut from that team, then likely he's done. If they couldn't get out of him at least something to make him worth keeping, then it's time for Kabongo to try playing in Europe or China.
                        your pal,
                        ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                          To me the Spurs are the type of team (and coach) that is able to extract the best out of a player, get them to overachieve. If Myck was cut from that team, then likely he's done. If they couldn't get out of him at least something to make him worth keeping, then it's time for Kabongo to try playing in Europe or China.
                          Or it could mean that they only have the resources for 1 PG project at a time (Cory Joseph).

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                            I believe they were cutting him to open a roster spot. Spurs still interested in him. Their D-League team is reportedly looking to sign him. He will still be in Spurs organization if the report was true.

Comment

Buycks and Stone

Porque no los dos?

Buycks is already signed to the team with the spot that Stone was supposed to have, and now Stone seems to be healthy.

He's a good ball handler, can guard 3 positions, and doesn't need shots.

Masai saw something in this guy, and I trust Masai.
                              TORONTOOOOOO RAPTORSSSSSS

Comment

thing is, if Stone could shoot decently he'd be very valuable off the bench because he can already defend and distribute

Comment

Working...
                                X