Buycks, Stone or Kabongo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Both Augustin's and Buycks' minutes have come in glorified pre-season garbage time. I'm not sure either player has shared any significant court time with even 2 starters so far. So I'm reluctant to place any value on their preseason statistics. That is, they don't seem accurately representative of what will happen once the "real" games start.

The only thing I know for sure is that Augustin is an NBA-ready PG (for at least 15 minutes per game), based solely on previous experience. I can't say that about either Buycks or Stone....yet.
    You make a good point. We haven't seen DJ with starters at all. He seems like the type of guy that plays better with better players around him. I really think it's going to be a tight 9 man rotation Hansbrough, Fields, DJ and Ross/Novak. In that order
    @Chr1st1anL

Comment

“With Myck (Kabongo), we just think he needs a little bit more time in development,” Team Canada Head Coach Jay Triano said. “He’s going to go out to Vancouver and start working with Steve (Nash). Steve’s getting ready for next season and we’re going to have Myck go out there and learn how to be a point guard under Steve."

Steve Nash To Mentor Myck Kabongo - Pro Bball Report

Myck Kabongo wasn't close to being ready for Team Canada this summer let alone the NBA this season. He was beat out of a job by Brady Heslip. Summer League with the Heat didn't go any better.

"After starting in the HEAT’s initial Summer League game, Kabongo was relegated to the bench in games two and four and was a DNP in the other two. Limited minutes meant limited production and Kabongo was not making the impression he had hoped for.... Unfortunately for Kabongo, it has been Ian Clark who has impressed the HEAT brass."

Myck Kabongo Summer League Struggles - Pro Bball Report

Kabongo is a Canadian, but it won't do him any good to be the 15th player on a team where he'll never play - he has a lot of work to do on his game.

Kabongo has skills, but he needs to play and develop them in the D-League or Europe first.
      The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Both Augustin's and Buycks' minutes have come in glorified pre-season garbage time. I'm not sure either player has shared any significant court time with even 2 starters so far. So I'm reluctant to place any value on their preseason statistics. That is, they don't seem accurately representative of what will happen once the "real" games start.

The only thing I know for sure is that Augustin is an NBA-ready PG (for at least 15 minutes per game), based solely on previous experience. I can't say that about either Buycks or Stone....yet.
        Augustin's minutes have mostly come in the first half as the backup PG to Lowry. Most of Buycks minutes have come in the 2nd half, but hardly in "Garbage" time - unless you consider almost the entire 2nd half of games to be garbage time.

The difference has been Augustin plays at a more deliberate slower pace, but he has looked more under control - most of the time. Buycks really struggled the 1st time Casey gave him extended minutes against the Timberswolves.

"Rookie point guard Dwight Buycks got a long hard look for 17 minutes in the second half and the Timberwolves took advantage. Buycks was a -13 on the game as he couldn’t handle the veteran J.J. Barea at all and the Raptors were not able to contain dribble penetration with Buycks on the court."

Raptors Look at Buycks In Loss To Timberwolves - Pro Bball Report

Then Buycks struggled initially against the Knicks, but played a great 4th quarter.

"At the end of the third quarter, Buycks was -10 points in 5.6 minutes as the Knicks had erased the Raptors lead and had gone up 74-70. Buycks was a blow-by candidate on the perimeter and looked lost on defense before he started to turn things around a minute into the fourth quarter. With the Knicks now leading by 10 points, Buycks showed why he was the French Pro A league MVP and leading scorer for Gravelines last season. He piled in 10 points over the next 5 minutes. This rookie has some offensive skills."

Acy, Stone Impress: Raptors Over Knicks 100-91 - Pro Bball Report

Buycks played 24 minutes in Minnesota 8 points, 7 assists and played 21 minutes against Boston with 6 points & 5 assists. Casey is giving this guy a good hard look.

vs Boston "Dwight Buycks is subbed in for D.J. Augustin midway through the second quarter and the Raptors offense looks more alive immediately. There is some chemistry between Terrence Ross and Buycks.... Second quarter turned around for the Raptors when Buycks and then Stone entered the game..... Buycks enters the game after 9 minutes is gone in the third quarter and the pace noticeably picks up."

Raptors vs Celtics – It’s About Minutes - Pro Bball Report

Casey seems to trust DJ Augustin more - but is a lot more excited about the rookie Dwight Buycks - it's easy to forget, Buycks is a rookie. It seems as Buycks gets over being nervous because he's in his first NBA action, he settles down and plays his game and that game has looked pretty exciting in preseason. Time will tell if he can still do when the regular season starts - but he has the speed, handle and shot that should translate. Of course Augustin is the proven guard and not exactly old either.

Julyan Stone - by any measure, the 6'5+ Stone is a wing player that can handle point guard duties - but at least in preseason, he looks like a good guy to defend against a PG that giving you trouble.
        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Who can dish out the most assists? That is the real question the Raptors have for point guard. So far, Buycks is dishing out far more than anyone else, including Lowry. It would be good to see how Buycks and Fields work together on the second team, because both can pass the ball, and the second team needs more flow. Both can score, so the defense does not have the option of just hanging back. Fields can play defense and rebound, too.

Comment

At this point, I can't see anyone surpassing Augustin as the primary backup....and he's not even that good.
            I agree, it's Augustin's job and his job to lose, but I can see Buycks possibly surpassing him. Augustin is at his ceiling already but can come in behind Lowry and "hold the fort". Whereas, Buycks has more potential, but hasn't played enough in the NBA to show everything he's got, as yet.

Only time will tell if Buycks can produce, but for now it's Lowry, Augustin and Buycks in that order, imo.

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
              Augustin's minutes have mostly come in the first half as the backup PG to Lowry. Most of Buycks minutes have come in the 2nd half, but hardly in "Garbage" time - unless you consider almost the entire 2nd half of games to be garbage time.
              It's the preseason, it's basically all garbage time.
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                Axel wrote: View Post
                It's the preseason, it's basically all garbage time.
                Exactly my point. Especially when the starters are playing a whopping 12 minutes.

Comment

I am the only one not impressed with Buycks? The most promising skill he has shown is breaking down the defender one on one and getting to the hoop. In terms of his play making ability, I have not seen it yet. He frustrates me. First, because I couldn't figure out how to pronounce his name, second because I don't see him as a good enough facilitator. I'm more intrigued by Stone.

Comment

Mo Dee wrote: View Post
                    I am the only one not impressed with Buycks? The most promising skill he has shown is breaking down the defender one on one and getting to the hoop. In terms of his play making ability, I have not seen it yet. He frustrates me. First, because I couldn't figure out how to pronounce his name, second because I don't see him as a good enough facilitator. I'm more intrigued by Stone.
                    I think everyone is with you on this one.

Comment

Is that a hunch? I kinda don't see it. As for the question, hands down Stone.
                      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

I like this snippet on Augustin from SI's season preview. It explains how Augustin is essentially a terrible PG, so I hope somebody outplays him for that spot.

D.J. Augustin was a disappointment in Indiana last season after Charlotte let him go. He has quickness, but he's small and he's not creative in getting the ball to people. He relies more on his speed with the ball than his ability to deliver it. A player such as Chris Paul can get to spots and make plays and pass, and someone like Nate Robinson possesses quickness with an ability to make shots. But Augustin doesn't get other people involved and he doesn't make enough shots; he just has quickness.
                        http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba...iew/index.html

Seeing him out there dribbling around and not being able to do anything with it is super frustrating. Also, while he's quick, he seems to be a pretty unspectacular defender as well. I think Buycks, while a lot rawer, has some potential to use his quickness to at least create for himself, if not others. And I think Stone, with his size and defensive tenacity, brings a lot more to that side of the ball so he wouldn't have to be that spectacular on offense (I also think this allow Stone to play at another position like SG).

Comment

I dunno what it is, but I just don't see Augustin being as terrible as he's being portrayed to be. I think he's perfectly capable of playing 4 minutes per quarter and holding down the fort, which is the most we should be expecting from any of our backup PGs.

We don't need him to create off the dribble, we don't need him to be lightning quick, and we don't need him to be Gary Payton on the defensive end. As long as he plays controlled, makes sure his teammates are in the right spots, and minimizes the air-balled 3's (lol), I think he'll be fine....and this team's PG rotation will be fine.

Comment

id play buycks and/or stone over augustin. love the warlord MU but he was a terrible signing. dude is awful.
                            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

And with that, I'm officially starting the "DJ Augustin for Backup PG" lobby group....

....especially with Casey's established love for veteran players. Augustin will be this year's Alan Anderson

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
                                id play buycks and/or stone over augustin. love the warlord MU but he was a terrible signing. dude is awful.
                                Notice there is no option for next season on Augustin?

There are options on Buycks and Stone.

I wonder if it means anything or am I speculating again???? lol

Comment

Working...
                                X