ESPN.com 5-on-5 2013-14 Outlook: Toronto Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN.com 5-on-5 2013-14 Outlook: Toronto Raptors

1. What grade would you give the Raptors' offseason?
    2. What's the biggest question facing the Raptors in 2013-14?
    3. Who's the Raptors' most intriguing player?
    4. What's one bold prediction about the Raptors?
    5. Prediction time: How far will the Raptors go this season?

Abbott: Not very. Playoffs are a long shot.

Doolittle: There is some upside here, but ultimately I see Toronto again landing in that No. 10-11 area in the Eastern Conference. Even if the offense achieves some measure of efficiency, I just don't see enough defense on that roster. The best-case scenario is that the Raptors play unselfishly, make a run at a playoff spot and Valanciunas establishes himself as Toronto's franchise player.

Herbert: As presently constructed they should be on the playoff bubble, competing with teams such as Atlanta, Cleveland, Milwaukee and Detroit for the last couple of spots in the East. This feels like a transition season, though, in which seeing growth from Valanciunas and establishing an identity going forward is more important than wins and losses.

Murphy: First-round exit. There appears to be enough talent here to finish as a lower seed in the East. The bench could be an issue, but the starting unit was one of the most effective in basketball last season (according to a small sample of data). Too many on this team have too much on the line to throw in the towel.

Sohi: Even in the best of circumstances, the Raptors' season would be hammered shut in the first round of the playoffs. If they're lucky, they likely stumble into the eighth seed and make for unadorned roadkill on the unforgiving LeBron James super-highway.

http://espn.go.com/nba/preview2013/s...oronto-raptors
    I'm surprised ESPN found 5 guys who knew Toronto had a franchise.

Link?
    "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
      Link?
      Bottom of the quote.

Comment

Ross is apparently better than DeRozan

Comment

How you can give the offseason grade anything less than a B is beyond me. Got the Executive of the Year and won a trade that involved Andrea Bargnani. Not sure what else we're supposed to do.

I also don't like how the media keeps referring to D.J. and Hansbrough as "2/5 of Indiana's bench". Yes Augustin is horrible, but comparing Hansbrough to the rest of the bench is just lazy, simplistic analysis IMO.
          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Hey that's Murphy as in RR's very own Blake Murphy!

Comment

I predict that if the team can develop the focus and consistency that some fans have for digging up dirt about them, the Raps are going to have a great year

Comment

I really couldn't care less about our offense. If our starting line up can keep up the defensive pace like they did last year. This will be a good year. That's all I care about. I don't care if we run a take your turn offense. As long as we're getting stops. One thing we know for sure is this team will compete every night. Hate him all you want about his offense and subs patterns. Caseys teams always compete and our always their at the end of the games. Keep it close and I feel with Rudy in the clutch will do better with those close games.
                @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                  Ross is apparently better than DeRozan
                  Ya I found that a bit odd.
                  While I agree with the premise that Ross could be a better player than Derozan, there's just no real evidence to support it at this time.

Doolittle wrote:
                  Doolittle: Ross bumps DeRozan to sixth-man status, which would be a better role for DeRozan anyway. Ross is just a better player, and no one can convince me otherwise. He's just as athletic, is a better shooter and is better working without the ball.
                  But like Matt said, at least they found guys willing to pretend they know anything about the Raptors.
                  Tyler Hansbrough is a "long live-wire dude" looking for dunks apparently ...

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    Ya I found that a bit odd.
                    While I agree with the premise that Ross could be a better player than Derozan, there's just no real evidence to support it at this time.
                    Agreed, baffled by that Ross comment.
                    And I think after seeing the intensity in MU's eyes at the season ticket holder event, you can see the wheels turning, so if the starting rotation wants to prevent him from making moves, they have to come out of the gates on fire. I think whatever MU's benchmark for wins is, by Christmas, it's set in stone. So let's see if the boys can make it happen and get back to the postseason... And who knows, if Ross really is as good as some 'claim' he is this year, it should be exciting stuff.

Comment

Doolittle: Ross bumps DeRozan to sixth-man status, which would be a better role for DeRozan anyway. Ross is just a better player, and no one can convince me otherwise. He's just as athletic, is a better shooter and is better working without the ball.

Wow. Speechless.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

WoW.

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post

Wow. Speechless.
                          Haha, that article was informative. I found out that I can work there as well.
                          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Wow. Speechless.
                            And he's a supposed "insider" ...
                            Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Well yeah ... Ross definitely tops DeRozan. Just look at their stats last year ... It's really enough to just look at the pre-season stats really. I mean Ross had 19 points in 1 game!!! DoRozan hasn't topped that yet. I think Derozan fighting Fields for minutes as our backup SG is a realistic option.

Comment

Working...
                              X