• Nerlens Noel likely to miss the season

David Zavac @DavidZavac

76ers head coach says he doubts Nerlens sees the court this season
    12:40 AM - 22 Oct 2013

Also http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/10/...-entire-season

Comment

76ers is on the mission to get Wiggins.

Comment

If Noel misses 1.5 years with an injury that's supposed to take half a year at most... that's very worrying. I don't think it's a tanking decision, since I don't think Noel would have major impact right away.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
          If Noel misses 1.5 years with an injury that's supposed to take half a year at most... that's very worrying. I don't think it's a tanking decision, since I don't think Noel would have major impact right away.
          Why it's worrying? Noel has stable knee, he's ahead of schedule. Dr said that in the summer.

"We don’t want to waste this year. I think from a skill perspective, it’s an opportunity for us to break down his shot, really work on his free throws and start a little bit from ground zero.”

I have doubts that he has any setbacks. It's just a smart decision by 76ers management. They know this season is tanking season and if they can work on Noel's offense and his free throws in practice ( it's all about practice!!! ) - that 1 year "break" will be great. He'll be ready for NBA better then ever. ( course, he'll need to stay healthy at first. )

Comment

rocwell wrote: View Post
            Why it's worrying? Noel has stable knee, he's ahead of schedule. Dr said that in the summer.

"We don’t want to waste this year. I think from a skill perspective, it’s an opportunity for us to break down his shot, really work on his free throws and start a little bit from ground zero.”

I have doubts that he has any setbacks. It's just a smart decision by 76ers management. They know this season is tanking season and if they can work on Noel's offense and his free throws in practice ( it's all about practice!!! ) - that 1 year "break" will be great. He'll be ready for NBA better then ever. ( course, he'll need to stay healthy at first. )
            Basically what you are saying is that sacrificing a year of basketball to get extra individual workouts is good for player development in general. It's an interesting theory, I doubt it tbh, but that's something for David Thorpe or such to answer, I guess.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
              Basically what you are saying is that sacrificing a year of basketball to get extra individual workouts is good for player development in general. It's an interesting theory, I doubt it tbh, but that's something for David Thorpe or such to answer, I guess.
              It seemed to work for Kelly Olynyk at Gonzaga lastyear a propelled him to a first round NBA Selection. Ben McLemore was redshirt freshman and hada great year becoming a lottery pick. WE may not see it in the NBA, but it does work.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

WJF wrote: View Post
                It seemed to work for Kelly Olynyk at Gonzaga lastyear a propelled him to a first round NBA Selection. Ben McLemore was redshirt freshman and hada great year becoming a lottery pick. WE may not see it in the NBA, but it does work.
                The question is does it work better than the regular routine and games.

Comment

This one irks me to no end. On the radio they were saying he was ahead of schedule. This may very well stunt his development. The Sixers greed floors me. They may not get Wiggans AND they are taking away at least half a season of learning from a young player's career. I hope he at least gets some DLeague burn so that he can experience playing the game against adults at a faster speed this year.

Things lie this are why I'm so anti-diving. How does this create trust within a locker room when the front office is basically saying that none of the current players have value, except for the guy who we will not let play alongside you guys? What a great environment to let young players learn. And the thing is, whether Nerlens plays or not, the team isn't going to be good. There's no reason to take an opportunity for kids to learn the game and turn it into an opportunity to make players dream about better front offices....anywhere else.

Comment

Well, the article says that his rehab has been slow. So maybe reports that he's ahead of schedule were simply BS? I get an impression that teams tend to make "ahead of schedule" statements most of the time, maybe to calm the fans down, maybe to increase trade value, even when it's not really true. I doubt this is a tanking move for the simple reason that I don't think a rusty Noel would add wins. Or at least, he's not a game changer to a point where you'd shut him down for no other reason.

Comment

His doctor, Doctor James Andrews -- one of the most respected doctor's in his field said he was ahead. The Sixers said that he is having a slow rehab.

Comment

Even Jalen thinks that's what's going on....

http://youtu.be/YPUgG4Wamao?t=4m16s

Comment

Jalen too... I'm kind of curious what he thought about Noel a year ago, assuming he watched him play at all. I didn't think Noel was going to be a major impact player right away; raw lean defensive bigs always take time to make impact. And now he's coming off a major injury, so he's going to be rusty on top of being a raw rookie. So the whole concept is strange to me, to put it politely. If I wanted to tank... I'd play Noel 30 minutes a night, as opposed to giving those minutes to Spencer Hawes / Thad Young combo. The only situation where I'd keep Noel away would be if I legitimately thought that he needed more time, not anything to do with tanking.

Comment

I agree with you Bob, but you're assuming that Philly has a decent front office. You're also assuming that deals for Hawes and Thad (who thinks he's going to be traded) aren't already planned.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
                              I agree with you Bob, but you're assuming that Philly has a decent front office. You're also assuming that deals for Hawes and Thad (who thinks he's going to be traded) aren't already planned.
                              That's a fair point. But on the other hand, people who think this is a tanking decision assume the opposite things, that Philly GM is terrible, or that a rookie and recovering Noel will be a major NBA game changer on the court, or that they'll trade those players. Tbh, even in case of a trade... I just don't think that Noel is that much of a game changer that a tanking team should want to sit him out. I think he'd struggle and a team would lose a lot of games if he's the starting center or PF. I'd give him play time, let him get experience, and still lose games. As much as Jonas struggled at times last year, I suspect that Noel would struggle much more and longer.

But sure, who knows, maybe Hinkie sees him as an instant impact player who would hurt their draft position. Or maybe like you said, Hinkie thinks that individual workouts > NBA experience for Noel. Or maybe as I suspect, they simply see that he's not going to be fully healthy anytime soon and they'd rather be diligent and cautious and let him get to 100%.
                              I guess there's just no certainty in this, hehe.

Comment

Working...
                              X