A new take on tanking - opponents of this need not click this thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A new take on tanking - opponents of this need not click this thread

Tanking, rebuilding, building through the draft, blowing it up, whatever you want to call it is semantics; the end result is the Raptors lose a lot of games.

If you are dead set against tanking, get out of here! There is nothing for you to say that has not already been said and another debate of the merits or pitfalls of the building strategy is REALLY not needed.

I don't think I've seen a thread on this perspective so here goes.

A lot of people who are against tanking use the argument or protest against it saying assets such as Lowry, DD, or Gay would be traded for expiring contracts - and that is it. The classic example is Stuckey/CV for Gay that was floated over the summer. Personally, I'm all for blowing it up but not if it means trading assets for nothing. Established NBA talent, picks, and cap space in any combination is a minimum. Valuable assets need to be returned. As bad as Gay's contract may be, it is still over in 2014-15. We're not talking Joe Johnson here.

So my question:

How bad do you want to see the Raptors tank/rebuild/blow it up/build through draft?
    Trade Lowry, Gay, DD at all costs for anything that rids them off the roster and books, faster the better!
    Only trade them if you get assets of value in return. If not, stay the course.

*For all the eternal optimists out there, maybe this divides and allows you to conquer the tankers!*
    Trade Lowry, Gay, DD at all costs! Getthem off the roster and books, the faster the better!
    6.38%
    Only trade them if you get valuable assets in return.
    93.62%
    Last edited by mcHAPPY; Tue Oct 22, 2013, 06:50 PM.

can I be an optimistic tanker? As in for sure we can get something more than expiring contracts for lowry and dd. I would be fine taking the consequences that come with tanking later in the season because between exum (who I really like now), parker, wiggins, smart, randle etc. this draft is damn stacked and I think we can still get a record that can net us one of these players even if we unload later in the season. Remember not every fan base is the raptors, where they can afford to lose a bunch of games and piss off the faithful, Ujiri your move.
    Last edited by akashsingh; Tue Oct 22, 2013, 07:10 PM.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
      can I be an optimistic tanker? As in for sure we can get something more than expiring contracts for lowry and dd. I would be fine taking the consequences that come with tanking later in the season because between exum (who I really like now), parker, wiggins, smart, randle etc. this draft is damn stacked because I think we can still get a record that can net us one of these players. Ujiri your move.
      Not to mention the guys who come out of nowhere.

Then you have the really intriguing C's like Joel Embiid, Cauley-Stein, and Austin who teams always reach for and are likely to push any of those previously mentioned players lower.

The Raptors can start a true rebuild with their starting C in place for the next 7-8 years who is just 21. For all the talk of joining the Sacramento's, Minnesota's, etc. neither of those teams had that on their roster when they decided to start a rebuild. That is a piece you are tanking with hopes to obtain.

Also, there is the issue of management with those teams. If you think the current management is inept, I can see why you would be weary of taking a few steps back to take many more forward.

Comment

Is this a legit choice topic? Seriously, who with a modicum of grey matter is going to say unload those 3 at all costs? This is just to reinforce the "get assets and tank" concept, right? I just don't see it serving any other purpose, sorry.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
          Is this a legit choice topic? Seriously, who with a modicum of grey matter is going to say unload those 3 at all costs? This is just to reinforce the "get assets and tank" concept, right? I just don't see it serving any other purpose, sorry.
          no reading comprehension I see.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
            p00ka feel free to not contribute. You've made your stance clear. The topic may hold no appeal to you whatsoever. That is cool.

However, among the people who support tanking, I'm am interested how badly they would want to do it. Therefore I would ask a little bit of courtesy to talk among posters who favour this approach to team building.

Also there is a benefit of trading everyone away for peanuts: it ensures the Raptors own pick is likely to be dreadful. If you are getting established rookie contract players like Monroe, or intriguing prospects like Giannis 'Po, or solid players who have never had a chance to shine like Tobias Harris, maybe your team does better than one would have thought.

Comment

There is not much needed to 'tank' (ie, drop a few pegs to get a higher pick). They just need to trade Lowry for something other than a starting caliber PG.

If Lowry is traded for picks/scraps/etc they will have to use a platoon of DJ/Buycks and Stone at PG and that is bound to fail badly.

But for the poll question you always want legitimate assets for your top players or else you will end up like Charlotte/Sacramento or NJ before they became Brooklyn. A crap team that will stay crappy until they do something big (again like Brooklyn).

I trust MU that he will find the best deals to make the team better. He will not blow it up a la Philly. I'm okay with that. Just don't want to see the same roster/core by the end of the year and I don't think we will.

Comment

I have always been against gutting the team for the sake of clearing money and piling up losses.

That doesn't mean I'd necessarily even be against trading all 3 of Rudy, DeMar or Lowry, but that the value would have to have more to it than just cap flexibility (useless if you're a bad team) and draft picks (draft's still mostly a crapshoot and high lottery picks are damn near impossible to acquire). Other pieces could be useful. Young guys on their rookie deals who need a change. Any vets coming back would have to be on smaller or expiring deals, AND be good players to have around....To take trash like Ben Gordon, the Bobcats would have to offer a deal that's basically stupid on their part, where we very clearly win the trade by a huge margin.

Also that means they can make trades to get better if that's an option. If somehow a top-tier player became gettable with the assets the Raps have, I'd be all for it...as long as it doesn't compromise draft options much (for example if we had to trade a 1st, ideally it would be from the 2016 draft where we've got a couple).

And I don't care if acquired draft picks are high or not. To me it's more important to get multiple picks, because that's good for flexibility, and if you have good scouting even mid-late 1st rounders can help you build a team.

Comment

I would expect some assets. However, I don't expect a ton of value. I don't expect to get back a lotto pick for Lowry just because that's what the Raptors paid for him; he's a rental now, and his value is bound to be lesser. For Gay, I expect about what the Raptors paid for him, i.e. a young rotation player like Davis; he's also a potential rental, and his salary is hard to match in trades for most teams, so I don't think his market is high enough where you'd expect much more than that. Even if a team like Atlanta might want him, it's just hard to do under CBA trades rules. For DeMar, I'd be ok with long term salary savings + a young prospect with starter potential or a pick outside the lottery.

Essentially, I'm ok with losing some value directly in the trade, because indirectly you still gain value because the Raptors' own pick gets better.

I don't think it's necessary to trade all 3. I think trading Lowry alone would put the Raptors into high-mid lottery just because they wouldn't have a legit point guard. Trading DeMar or Gay would bring fewer losses so you'd probably have to trade both. So trading Lowry seems like the easiest solution to me (as long as you don't bring back a solid point guard in such a trade). Give me an out-of-lottery pick, lets say Ekpe Udoh + lottery protected Bucks' pick, and we have a deal.

Comment

It's ok for a tank 2.0 thread. I was actually thinking about it from a new way and couldn't be bothered wading into the mess that already is. Even if this team stays together, how good can we get? And can we bet that that includes keeping gay and lowry at reasonable prices? For all intents and purposes, the celtics had pierce, kg, rondo, etc and they said, hmmm, not worth betting on this group...better to tank. Now I realize those are players on the downside of their careers but that's still some talent. The lakers have Kobe and pau and even though they went hard at Dwight, their plan b has been to add mid level retreads. If storied franchises like the celtics and lakers can say that losing is ok this year, why don't we?
                    I would say that,unless they show us something remarkable, let everyone go even if we don't get much. Sure, it would be great to get another pick but it's not worth staying the course if we don't. Wouldn't mind keeping demar though. JV and demar and three guys who've never been in my kitchen can still be a pretty bad team.
                    It's kind of interesting that this has become such a divisive issue with very little middle ground. Because, at the end of the day, what's the real difference between A) a wholesale self off and B) playing the season out, only to have gay and lowry leave as free agents at the end of the year (a not implausible possibility). Really, only keeping demar and having no decent daft pick. That's why we need an objective viewpoint that none of us have. If only we had a new president and new gm that brought that........
                    That's why it's going to be a fascinating season.

Comment

http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post237943

CalgaryRapsFan, I hope you're going to tell Matt to "tone it down" as well for telling people to get out of the thread if they disagree:

Matt52 wrote:
                      If you are dead set against tanking, get out of here!
                      Or does that only apply to me?

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                        http://www.raptorsrepublic.com/forum...l=1#post237943

CalgaryRapsFan, I hope you're going to tell Matt to "tone it down" as well for telling people to get out of the thread if they disagree:

Or does that only apply to me?
                        Does it apply to you at all? I remember you writing that you are fine with this type of plan as long as assets are good enough.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                          Does it apply to you at all? I remember you writing that you are fine with this type of plan as long as assets are good enough.
                          I think you completely missed the point of my post.

That being said, yes I am a proponent of what Matt typed in the OP to an extent.

Comment

Xixak wrote: View Post
                            I think you completely missed the point of my post.

That being said, yes I am a proponent of what Matt typed in the OP to an extent.
                            I guess if this is about something other than what's in this thread, I probably missed it.

Comment

I wish BC hadn't traded for Gay -------- Gay is probably the most talented player on the team but he's an overpaid, selfish player

If we hadn't done the trade we would still have Ed Davis as a RFA trade chip and enough cap space to take on contracts for draft picks... ala Cavs where they snagged the first overall pick for taking on Baron Davis

As well as offer DeRozan/Lowry for quality assets

but who knows may Masai can work his magic and swindle the Bobcats/Wiz for much more than we gave up

Comment

Working...
                              X