Chisholm: Raps Wings Not Longterm Solution with JV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xixak wrote: View Post
    Dude you're a jerk. If I made a "snark" remark like that, half this board would be on my ass. You don't have the right to just dismiss p00ka's remarks like that. While I'm not as optimistic about this team as he is, I still see his point of view, not cool to just disregard what he says because you two never agree.

The word hypocrisy you used in that last paragraph is very fitting.
    It's not your place to get involved in arguments between other posters - leave that to a mod/admin - especially when the snarkiness is going both ways. Matt52 and p00ka are both big boys who can make their own arguments quite sufficiently. Butt out, especially when you're not involved.

Comment

LOL. GOOD GRIEF is right!!! As eccentric, ha, as Xixak can be, this kind of armchair GM/Coach gangbang is why I tried covering his back a time or two. Some people still don't get it. They keep yapping about comparisons and stats and whatever tf else....

Simply put: JV's going to get his touches in good time. Boo effing hoo that he's not getting them in time to satisfy your needs, whatever tf they are. He'll get them when the coach deems he and the team are ready. Get effing used to it.

Personally I'm couldn't give a damn about his touches right now, because,,,,,,,,,,,, listen now, I'm speaking of concepts now, not team, or coach, or player comparisons,,,,,,, based on what I've seen of his player handling and development, like I would expect coach Pop (you know the guy y'all idolize? At least rhetorically) would do, and like I expect coach Casey is doing, he's demanding defensive focus and energy and execution from Jonas first. Once he shows he can at least handle that in the NBA, which he hasn't, at least as well as can be expected for a young 2nd year C, he'll get more involved in the designed offense and get his touches.

But hey, carry on. Just my opinion of what focus is for some, and should be for some. Sorry for disturbing the preseason long, soon to be season long, "touches whine party".

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
        That's because you disrespect 90% of the posters on the forum. You've earned your reputation, whether you like it or not.

I don't quite get how this has all been twisted around, but it's quite simple; pass the ball to your teammates. Get them involved. That is one of the things the Spurs do so well, all 5 players are counted on to be productive. If your big man has good position, get him the ball, regardless of whether it's JV, Amir, Tyler or Acy. JV has been working hard to get position, and he's going to be on here posting for Gay/DD to be traded if they keep looking him off so that they can iso. Team ball means trusting your teammates on offence, and helping each other on defence.
        As I said to Xixak, please don't egg on other posters by involving yourself in an ongoing argument between other posters. This goes for all RR posters.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
          LOL. GOOD GRIEF is right!!! As eccentric, ha, as Xixak can be, this kind of armchair GM/Coach gangbang is why I tried covering his back a time or two. Some people still don't get it. They keep yapping about comparisons and stats and whatever tf else....

Simply put: JV's going to get his touches in good time. Boo effing hoo that he's not getting them in time to satisfy your needs, whatever tf they are. He'll get them when the coach deems he and the team are ready. Get effing used to it.

Personally I'm couldn't give a damn about his touches right now, because,,,,,,,,,,,, listen now, I'm speaking of concepts now, not team, or coach, or player comparisons,,,,,,, based on what I've seen of his player handling and development, like I would expect coach Pop (you know the guy y'all idolize? At least rhetorically) would do, and like I expect coach Casey is doing, he's demanding defensive focus and energy and execution from Jonas first. Once he shows he can at least handle that in the NBA, which he hasn't, at least as well as can be expected for a young 2nd year C, he'll get more involved in the designed offense and get his touches.

But hey, carry on. Just my opinion of what focus is for some, and should be for some. Sorry for disturbing the preseason long, soon to be season long, "touches whine party".
          You know who does care about JV's touches? JV.
          You know who's going to feel marginalized and frustrated with his teammates and coaches if he is continually ignored on half the court? JV.

I get your point about JV's focus being on Defence. I agree, that should be where he puts in the most focus during practice and the film room. But if the guy is focusing on his defence, and working hard to get good position on offence, you have to reward him. Ignoring him doesn't benefit anyone. Even the average big man, shooting from the low post with good position, is a higher % shot than anything that Gay/DD/Lowry are typically going to attempt.

Ignoring him on offence will frustrate him, which will distract him from playing defence. I'm not saying the offence should run through the guy, and there are certainly going to be times when he thinks he's in better position than he actually is, but on the whole, reward the big man on offence when he is working hard, and keep preaching D in practice and time-outs.
          Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
            You know who does care about JV's touches? JV.
            You know who's going to feel marginalized and frustrated with his teammates and coaches if he is continually ignored on half the court? JV.

I get your point about JV's focus being on Defence. I agree, that should be where he puts in the most focus during practice and the film room. But if the guy is focusing on his defence, and working hard to get good position on offence, you have to reward him. Ignoring him doesn't benefit anyone. Even the average big man, shooting from the low post with good position, is a higher % shot than anything that Gay/DD/Lowry are typically going to attempt.

Ignoring him on offence will frustrate him, which will distract him from playing defence. I'm not saying the offence should run through the guy, and there are certainly going to be times when he thinks he's in better position than he actually is, but on the whole, reward the big man on offence when he is working hard, and keep preaching D in practice and time-outs.
            I think this is an excellent summary of several posters concerns about JV becoming frustrated after working hard to get open and then getting looked off. When a young player works hard, on a regular basis, and regularly gets it right, you reward him. Either that, or accept the fact that you are actually training him to work hard for nothing, which is akin to punishing him. We know how the reward and punishment things work out.

Reward the behaviour you want, don't punish it.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post

Bold one: its about talent. The stats, in my opinion, show a great deal of talent that has yet to be touched given his language barrier, new country/continent, new style of play, age, and inexperience at the NBA level. If you disagree, so be it.

bold two: you have brought in a concept that, in my opinion, does not relate to the issue or topic at hand. Passing to an open teammate is a given. Developing the offensive skills of a player can be done while also developing the defensive end. No one has said defense is not a priority.

Comment

The good news is that it's still preseason (I suppose that excuse exists for every topic we've discussed over the past month....), but let's remember that Casey has gone on record saying that Jonas will be much more of a focal point of the offense this year. In fact, he's said so on multiple instances. So perhaps, p00ka has a point here. Casey could indeed be emphasizing defensive responsibilities right now, without fully deploying his offensive sets until the real games start.

Comment

Working...
                X