Who are you pulling for on the 30th?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are you pulling for on the 30th?

Moderators, feel free to scrap this if it is/becomes a redundant tank vs not thread. The difference is, I think a lot of people (myself included) are in the sit on the fence camp of wait and see what this team does for 20 games and then decide to persevere or blow up. But, if any part of you views plan B as tanking, the end result starts going the wrong way with a win over Boston. That is a ping pong team and every time we beat them (whether it's the last game of the season or the first game), they put us further behind in the lottery. How do you set your frame of mind as a fan if most of you wants this team to do really well but plan b needs them to play terribly? So, is anybody joining that sad sack in the Celtics jersey from the season ticket preseason event to cheer for Boston? Feel free to make a poll of this if you know how.

I'll post my extremely unpopular opinion: I'll be hoping they lose. I'm not going to be upset if they win, but if had a choice they'd go 0-82. Ok, maybe 10-72. More specifically, my ideal situation is for a lengthy but not trade value altering injury to both Lowry and Amir Johnson, because I feel like that would have the best chance of derailing the team. maybe a short one to DD so that Ross can get some burn.

Now to answer the inevitable flames: I've been a fan of this team since it's inception, and will continue to be regardless of their record. I'm for short term pain in the name of long term gain, and have very little faith in the roster as currently constructed. I don't think any team paying DD and Rudy Gay first and third option kind of money can win a title, let alone compete for one. I say blow it up, the sooner the better.

Comment

I'll play it nice and say that I want this team to play well. Wins are a by-product of a talented, cohesive unit. If we don't have that, then exciting, hard fought games are all that one can ask for.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

I cannot not pull for the Raptors to win a game.

This said my hopes for the year is that MU make the appropriate changes to the team to gather assets current and future, create cap space and position the team in a good area for the next draft (one of the best in about 10 years). Call this what you may....I call it prudent asset management and have confidence that MU and his team will put the future Raptors (1-3 yrs) in a better spot than it is now. The prize is a championship contending team.

Comment

I agree with Bendit completely.... It's not possible to be a fan of a team and HOPE and CHEER for them to lose... I try to imagine myself being a player and thinking that my "fans" want me to fail.... not acceptable...

That said, I hope MU does the appropriate things to construct a sustainable winner... in the meantime, I will cheer every game.

Comment

It's Boston. I couldn't cheer for them if I had a gun to my head. Fuck the Celtics.

Comment

I want the picture perfect recipe for failure.

Is it possible the Raptors compete night in and night out with guys playing to the best of their performance and 100% healthy only to continually lose nail biter after nail biter? Once that happens, guys have tremendous value around the league and MU can get teams to make significant offers for the Raptors main players right now (DD, Lowry, Gay).

That is what I want.

The last thing I hope on any of them is an injury - and that goes for just about every single player in the league. These guys bodies are just as important to them as most of us in our job with a computer (or whatever it is your do, the thing you use most).

Anyways, kind of backwards Pollyanna thinking on my part which is the least likely of any outcome this year!

Comment

You can't control things like what Matt's hoping for. I want to see us play our hearts out. After 25 games, after they've played their asses off, then we'll talk about trades. Regardless of record, I'm hoping for Rudy Gay and DeRozan to start the season shooting 50% from the field and averaging 30 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists each.

Make no mistake, MU will eventually gut this team. This is not his team, it's Colangelo's. I'd rather he do it when our players are overachieving.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I want the picture perfect recipe for failure.

Is it possible the Raptors compete night in and night out with guys playing to the best of their performance and 100% healthy only to continually lose nail biter after nail biter? Once that happens, guys have tremendous value around the league and MU can get teams to make significant offers for the Raptors main players right now (DD, Lowry, Gay).

That is what I want.

The last thing I hope on any of them is an injury - and that goes for just about every single player in the league. These guys bodies are just as important to them as most of us in our job with a computer (or whatever it is your do, the thing you use most).

Anyways, kind of backwards Pollyanna thinking on my part which is the least likely of any outcome this year!
                  I hear you but that's part of the frustration. This team, with the improvements we hope/assume, should be better than nail biters against a lot of these teams. If not, they're not a draft pick away from greatness either.

Comment

I'll be watching DD, Ross, JV, Amir closely hoping they improve after each game.
                    Whether they win or loose i don't really care anymore, in my perfect scenario those 4 would make huge strides, but we'd still loose the games and ship out everybody else, but that's unrealistic so i'll just take what they give us.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      You can't control things like what Matt's hoping for. I want to see us play our hearts out. After 25 games, after they've played their asses off, then we'll talk about trades. Regardless of record, I'm hoping for Rudy Gay and DeRozan to start the season shooting 50% from the field and averaging 30 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists each.

Make no mistake, MU will eventually gut this team. This is not his team, it's Colangelo's. I'd rather he do it when our players are overachieving.
                      Bammm! That's what I am talkin' about. Have the players overachieve and leave it in Masai's hands.

Comment

Who are you pulling for on the 30th? that's a clown question bro.
                        Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                          Who are you pulling for on the 30th? that's a clown question bro.
                          This.

Idc if you're a tanker or not, you should be cheering for your team to win games.

Comment

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
                            I'll post my extremely unpopular opinion: I'll be hoping they lose. I'm not going to be upset if they win, but if had a choice they'd go 0-82. Ok, maybe 10-72. More specifically, my ideal situation is for a lengthy but not trade value altering injury to both Lowry and Amir Johnson, because I feel like that would have the best chance of derailing the team. maybe a short one to DD so that Ross can get some burn.

Now to answer the inevitable flames: I've been a fan of this team since it's inception, and will continue to be regardless of their record. I'm for short term pain in the name of long term gain, and have very little faith in the roster as currently constructed. I don't think any team paying DD and Rudy Gay first and third option kind of money can win a title, let alone compete for one. I say blow it up, the sooner the better.
                            Who gives a shit that you've been a "fan of the team since its inception". You want players to be physically injured? Go fuck yourself.

Comment

How could any sports fan in Toronto cheer for Boston?
                              (or even consider it - this world is nuts)
                              The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Working...
                              X