Is Thaddeus Young a good fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xixak wrote: View Post
    Lol idk why you even bothered responding to his post, the guy is most definitely a troll. Saying Ross can be a starting SF in the NBA in #1, then saying he blows in #2 lol
    Some might say the same about you... or me.

Either way I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Comment

Thad's a tweener who can't really shoot. He's not better than Gay so he won't be our starting sf. He's not better than Amir as a power forward so he won't be starting 4 as well. Having him come off the bench doesn't make sense either since he's getting paid so much. Don't see how he fits in with raptors.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
        Wow... When you say poor man, I think you mean slave labor poor -- not sweat shop labor poor that's a bit too high class.

Sorry mars, I genuinely respect your opinion but the idea of a poor man's RG is not a good thing. A poor man's high usage, low efficiency small forward? Ugh. That doesn't improve anything.
        LOL... okay yeah.. maybe "poor man" is a bit of a stretch. I was just implying that TY could bring a bit of what Rudy brings to Toronto in a smaller capacity. Not the high usage per se, but he could give you 16-18 ppg and 7rpg. Just don't think his contract is valuable when you have Fields/DD/RG/Amir tying up a lot of their cap space. Two of those contracts would have to go for me to consider TY. And since TY is mainly a tweener.. makes more sense for him to replace either Fields or Gay or both... and I'd be okay with that

Comment

Uncle_Si wrote: View Post
          I really don't understand the obsession of some 'fans' to dump any and all of our assets in order to tank just to acquire more assets. DeMar has shown an improved game and desire to stay in toronto and he's 24. Valanciunas is 21 and by all accounts loves where he is at. Ross is what 23? Acy is around the same. Amir is a young vet. We have a lot of young talent that we are in the process of developing. Ideally I'd like to see Gay stick around and pick up his option. By the end of his final year we'll actually know what we have in Ross. Which leaves open a couple possibilities:
          1. Ross is good enough to be a starting SF in the league and is showing great signs of improvement. So, option 1 we trade Gay's expiring contract for some savvy vets and draft picks and continue on. Or we don't see any value in Gay other than his 20million coming off the books and could care less if we get anything for him because if we did it would just hamper our flexibility.
          2. Ross blows, Gay has shown improved efficiency and a willingness to defend consistently and can be signed for 3 years at 28million. Ross is traded for whatever we can get and we move on
          3. None of this f***ing matters because none of us have any sense whatsoever of how to run/build a team.
          Wow, this post has absolutely nothing to do with this thread. Try again. As in, this thread is about how you perceive Young whether you want to tank or not. It could be possible to acquire him in either plan.

Comment

Pong wrote: View Post
            Thad's a tweener who can't really shoot. He's not better than Gay so he won't be our starting sf. He's not better than Amir as a power forward so he won't be starting 4 as well. Having him come off the bench doesn't make sense either since he's getting paid so much. Don't see how he fits in with raptors.
            Thad can shoot.. he just hasn't for Philly the past couple of seasons. If given enough attempts he could put up a decent 3pt% (he averaged .341 in his 2nd year with 164 attempts). Plus Thad's career average TS% (.547) is just slightly worse than Gay's best TS% in a season (Gay's best TS% was at .548, but his career average is only .525).

But I do think that Gay is better, however I'd take TY and his salary over Gay's salary any day of the week.. if Gay is traded (maybe in some 3way deal).. then I'd love to have Thad Young.

Comment

Where exactly did you read about phili wanting to dump him? Last I read, Phili's trying to make Hawes, Thad and Turner their core...
              blackjitsu wrote: View Post
              Thad said it in an interview. I think I read it on SB Nation.
              Yeah, I put a source in the original post with the interview with Thad.

There are some good points made.

I don't think of him as a poor man's Gay. I think of him more as a poor man's Josh Smith. (just for comparison)

I'm also not sure what he brings to the team, but he's got some good qualities. Great athleticism, pretty efficient scorer (even without a 3 pter, which isn't so bad if you use him at PF, because he doesn't take the "pull your hair out" 3s that a Josh Smith might), pretty good defensive player. Nothing special though in any way.

Comment

It's just a shame that he was given that salary. He's definitely a great 2 way player, and a perfect player to have at that 6th spot. He can use his quickness to beat opposing 4s and his strength to push around 3s.

Comment

Nice player, but don't see how he could fit into our plans either way. Doesn't do enough of anything to start him, has a Fields like contract and isn't likely to make any big strides in the future. He'll land somewhere for a pick and an expiring likely and be successful coming off the bench in the playoffs somewhere.
                  Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Where exactly did you read about phili wanting to dump him? Last I read, Phili's trying to make Hawes, Thad and Turner their core...
                    Turner said he was surprised the team didn't trade him in the summer.

Really its the same problem as Young - he makes too much. Both decent enough players who are paid too much and are viewed as being hard to coach or soft or can't kept their compete level up for a whole season - just not sure things - its possible both players do much better if given a change of scenery
                    The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

No. We already have way too many SF's on this team.
                      Mamba Mentality

Comment

For something like Daye and or Acy with NYK's 2016 first round pick i'd consider it, otherwise why bother?
                        -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
                        -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                          Turner said he was surprised the team didn't trade him in the summer.
                          When asked about the team's direction: "I don't care, I'm gonna get paid by someone"
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                            When asked about the team's direction: "I don't care, I'm gonna get paid by someone"
                            That was taken out of context.

Big follow up article on that by SI.com... Chris Mannix I believe.... or maybe Sam Amick

Comment

I think the biggest thing to consider about Young is this: is he worth Toronto's 2014 first-rounder? Because Philly probably isn't going to move him for less than a 2014 first-rounder. Some contending team late in the season will pay that price.

My answer would be no, simply because I think the 2014 first-rounder pays off bigger dividends than Young (a good player, but only good).

Comment

That is a horrible core. They all suck, Thad young is the only slightly above average player out of all 3 of those guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X