Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Debate: Is Led Zeppelin A Metal Band?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ultimate Debate: Is Led Zeppelin A Metal Band?

I say, yes.

I'm sure others will say "no".

What say you guys?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

They invented Metal. More specifically, Jimmy Page invented Metal.

Comment

Invented metal is a bit of a stretch. Were key to it's popularization and spread though, for sure.

But there were others early on, you know, like Sabbath, who were just as critical to its development.

Zeppelin can be called a metal band, but you could also just call them a rock band, or more specifically, a hard rock band. There sound had more folk and blues in it than a band like Sabbath, who even in their slower stuff tended to be a bit heavier/darker.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
        Invented metal is a bit of a stretch. Were key to it's popularization and spread though, for sure.

But there were others early on, you know, like Sabbath, who were just as critical to its development.

Zeppelin can be called a metal band, but you could also just call them a rock band, or more specifically, a hard rock band. There sound had more folk and blues in it than a band like Sabbath, who even in their slower stuff tended to be a bit heavier/darker.
        That is true, but Zep managed to release two albums before Sabbath even came out with one and it was a lot heavier than the other stuff around that time. In the late 60's, they were making what can be constituted as the early stages of "heavy metal". Sabbath was not in the discussion, just yet.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

Of course they're metal. Those who say they're not need to research the genre. It started with them, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
            That is true, but Zep managed to release two albums before Sabbath even came out with one and it was a lot heavier than the other stuff around that time. In the late 60's, they were making what can be constituted as the early stages of "heavy metal". Sabbath was not in the discussion, just yet.
            Well, again, I said invented was a stretch. Sabbath also formed in the late 60s, it just took them a couple of years to get an album out. So what I mean is that there were a few bands, who were pretty jointly responsible for the emergence and popularization of the genre, especially since their styles weren't all exactly the same.

Also Zeppelin often spanned a more diverse range than what would strictly be called metal. That doesn't make them not a metal band, it makes them more than simply a metal band. Whereas Sabbath's sound more often stayed within the confines of what would become known as metal. This is a distinction, and not anything I'm saying to suggest one is better than the other or more responsible for metal than the other.

Comment

it's a pretty definitive no to me.

proto-metal, maybe, but they're no more metal than the stooges or the MC5 are (or invented) punk, or any blues musician is (or invented) rock and roll.

i actually think metal is the easiest of any genre of popular music to point the finger at the exact moment it started.

and that moment is the song BLACK SABBATH on an album called BLACK SABBATH by the band named BLACK SABBATH.

it is the first song they ever wrote. go listen to it, and then listen to, oh i dunno, say that awesome pallbearer album that came out last year which was pretty widely regarded in underground metal circles as one of the best doom records of the last ten years.

and then marvel at how little the doom genre has evolved since sabbath perfected it on the first thing they ever recorded in 1969.

all hail, etc.

Comment

LBF wrote: View Post
                Apollo wrote: View Post
                Of course they're metal. Those who say they're not need to research the genre. It started with them, Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.
                and just because something is 'heavy' does not make it metal. metal is an aesthetic as much as it is a sound. witches in front of old ass haunted looking mansions or sword wielding maniacs or songs called the wizard or hand of doom or electric funeral? that is fucking metal, and they invented the aesthetic.

whole lotta love or since i've been loving you or whatever - not very metal

Comment

chris wrote: View Post
                  and just because something is 'heavy' does not make it metal. metal is an aesthetic as much as it is a sound. witches in front of old ass haunted looking mansions or sword wielding maniacs or songs called the wizard or hand of doom or electric funeral? that is fucking metal, and they invented the aesthetic.

whole lotta love or since i've been loving you or whatever - not very metal

metal!

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post

ozzy was obsessed with zeppelin and was almost certainly influenced by them

Comment

"The first heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple and Black Sabbath attracted large audiences, though they were often derided by critics, a status common throughout the history of the genre. "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

Let the edit wars begin!

BTW, on the login page of this forum, under the login form, beside the login button, there is a button that says "Reset Fields"...

Has anybody tried pushing it? Might fix his shot.

Comment

I never thought of Zeppelin as Metal. They were a Blues Rock band that moved the blues into a much harder, distorted and heavy direction, but they weren't the best example of a "Metal" band. No for me at least.

Comment

Backwards

You're trying to retroactively re-categorize things based on modern notion of the genre.

Here is a good example: Iggy Pop and the Clash don't really sound like "punk" if your definition of "punk" is what you hear today but looking at things that way doesn't make sense. If anything, if Iggy Pop doesn't sound like all those generic crap "punk bands" then maybe those bands aren't really punk?

Most modern metal bands are talentless hacks when compared to the likes of Zep in their prime. Maybe most of these modern metal bands should be sub-categorized into a new genre? We could call it "feces metal" or "half digested generic metal"?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            You're trying to retroactively re-categorize things based on modern notion of the genre.

Here is a good example: Iggy Pop and the Clash don't really sound like "punk" if your definition of "punk" is what you hear today but looking at things that way doesn't make sense. If anything, if Iggy Pop doesn't sound like all those generic crap "punk bands" then maybe those bands aren't really punk?

Most modern metal bands are talentless hacks when compared to the likes of Zep in their prime. Maybe most of these modern metal bands should be sub-categorized into a new genre? We could call it "feces metal" or "half digested generic metal"?
                            I like to call it "machine gun drum metal"

Comment

How about "no balls to play from your soul metal"?

Seriously, it's seems like paint by numbers these days.

Comment

Working...
                              X