No announcement yet.

Amir taking 3s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amir must be hanging out with Novak, in their spare time.
    NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      I hated Bosh drifting outside and it irks me when Amir does. It speaks to the weakness the rest of the starting lineup has behind the arc, that they feel the need to park Amir out there. I'd much rather have more of a traditional post-up PF to team down low with Valanciunas, so they can alternative hi/low post. I also think Valanciunas could develop a Luc Longley / Rasho style 12' baseline jumper, which would also partner well with a traditional PF. I want my bangers to bang, and be in position for offensive rebounds. Valanciunas and Hansborough were fantastic tonight... Amir was ok, but he's a 3rd big anyway, so he's on par with expectations.
      Amir had 13 last night in 24 minutes on 6/8 shooting. He was +10 (highest on the team). He was better than "okay". Amir has expanded his game every year bit by bit. Adding a new dimension is not a negative. . You have to keep in mind that, given the way this team plays, Amir isn't going to get pick and roll opportunities cause none of the perimeter guys can run pick and roll. He isn't going to get points of cuts and passes cause none of the perimeter guys pass the ball. He is going to get stuff in transition and as a bailout guy in the half court. That being the case, I'd rather see him shooting threes than 20-footers.

I think it's a potential positive he can bring, along with all the other great stuff he does. He might be a third big, but this team isn't nearly as good when he's not out there.

Comment

I don't like that they seem to have drawn up plays for him to take the 3. His long 2s were usually the result of him being the last, open option on offense. I'd be fine with 3s in that situation. I don't like that they design the play for that. And I like it even less when you consider how little they design their offense to actually get their big men (all their big men, and heck, even their wings) the ball down in the low post.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          I hated Bosh drifting outside and it irks me when Amir does. It speaks to the weakness the rest of the starting lineup has behind the arc, that they feel the need to park Amir out there. I'd much rather have more of a traditional post-up PF to team down low with Valanciunas, so they can alternative hi/low post.
          Like 70% of the teams in the league, we run a lot of Horns. If you're not up on how that works, watch this video:

A lot of the variations of Horns end up with a big man on the perimeter as the swing point to get the basketball from one side of the floor to the other while back-cutting and screening happens along the baseline. Regardless of whether your big can shoot it from there, he's gonna get the ball out there.

It's obviously something he's been working on, and the shots came when he was wide open and there wasn't much else going on in the offense (with the exception, perhaps, of that one from the corner. wouldn't have minded seeing him drive that.) I don't mind his shot selection so far, especially since he got the rest of his points right around the rim, and went 5-5 from there.

Comment

I'd like to see Amir in the all-star 3-point competition.
            Takes first ball off the rack. Holds it at knees. Pause. Pumpfake. Shot. Swish.
            Takes second ball off the rack. Holds it at knees. Pause. Pumpfake. Shot. Swish.
            Takes third ball off the rack. Holds it at knees. Pause. Pumpfake. Pause. Pumpfake. Shot. Swish.
            Takes fourth ball off the rack. Holds it at knees. Pause. Pumpfake. Shot. Swish.
            Takes moneyball off the rack. Holds it at knees. Pause. Pumpfake. Pause. Pumpfake. Pause. Shot. Swish.
            Bzzzt! Time up!

It's just one of the strangest releases in that the more he pauses before shooting, the more effective it seems to be, which is backwards from most players who shoot better with a fluid motion.

Comment

I'm confused, if Amir is the 3rd big, who is the 2nd?

And I'm not exactly comfortable with him shooting 3's at this point, so I guess he is going to have to prove to me that he can do it, and the only way to do that is to shoot them. But he has to make them at a decent clip, or for me it's just a waste of a possession because it would be just as well to draw up a play for a 3 pointer from Lowry or one of the wings, and have
              Amir battling for a rebound.

Comment

octothorp wrote: View Post
                It's just one of the strangest releases in that the more he pauses before shooting, the more effective it seems to be, which is backwards from most players who shoot better with a fluid motion.
                It's almost like the longer he thinks about it, the more he builds up his own confidence before the release, lol.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  It's almost like the longer he thinks about it, the more he builds up his own confidence before the release, lol.
                  It reminds me of holding down button A on your Nintendo controller to wind up for a shot. Hold it longer if you need more power, aaaaaaand let go! Bam! Amir for three - kiss that 3-point line one more time!
                  "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

S.R. wrote: View Post
                    It reminds me of holding down button A on your Nintendo controller to wind up for a shot. Hold it longer if you need more power, aaaaaaand let go! Bam! Amir for three - kiss that 3-point line one more time!
                    lol, powered-up 3's. I like it.

Comment

I'm really opposed to Amir shooting threes regularly, because it means that some fool in my fantasy league just got a huge bonus
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                        I'm confused, if Amir is the 3rd big, who is the 2nd?
                        Let's be clear. On this team, Amir is the first big.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          Let's be clear. On this team, Amir is the first big.
                          That's what she said.

What?
                          "We're playing in a building." -- Kawhi Leonard

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                            I'm really opposed to Amir shooting threes regularly, because it means that some fool in my fantasy league just got a huge bonus
                            Yo, that's me.

9-cat roto, too, and I managed to pick him up at 90th overall.

Comment

I'm okay with him taking 3s. Last season he probably took around 2-3 long jumpers per game, and they were usually 1 or 2 steps inside the 3 point line. If he just changes those shots to 3s, which he hits at 30%, then I'm happy.

Comment

Now we just gotta teach JV and Psycho T to shoot the 3 and we're all good to go

Comment

Working...
                                X