The Rudy & DeMar mid-range jumper watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    Bad shots are also those that come early in the clock, and are heavily defended (regardless of distance from the basket).
    Settling for jumpers is still a problem though. While mid range jumpers aren't necessarily bad shots based on distance alone, if it means for-going attacking the rim, getting to the foul line and pressuring the Defence, then they are bad decisions.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Settling for jumpers is still a problem though. While mid range jumpers aren't necessarily bad shots based on distance alone, if it means for-going attacking the rim, getting to the foul line and pressuring the Defence, then they are bad decisions.
      Agreed.

The number of times I shook my head at the shot-selection last night (especially in the 2nd half) was plentiful. And the whole team was guilty of it.

Comment

It's a little discouraging to see this team playing the same type of offense as it did last year. There were times when it looked like ball and player movement would dominate the offensive attack, only to give way to relying on long jumpers with a healthy lead, which subsequently allowed the Celts back in it. If this team continues to play that way I think it's safe to say we will get a similar result as last season. Demar needs to play with his back to the basket more, Lowry needs to P'n'R more, JV needs to fight for better position in the post, and if Amir continues to shoot 3's, boy he had better hit them at a good percentage. The rebounding was great, but shouldn't get too excited about that considering Boston's lineup. Overall the defense wasn't that great either. there didn't seem to be very much emotion from the guys either. Great to get a win, but that type of play is gonna get you a loss against most teams on most nights in this league.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
          Bad shots are also those that come early in the clock, and are heavily defended (regardless of distance from the basket).
          There is a tipping point distance though - I remember seeing it in a Goldsberry chart last year. It's something like 4 feet away from the basket. After that, there's a huge dropoff in percentage, which then continues to slowly decline as distance increases. The point of it was, the difference in difficulty between a long two and a shot that's, say, seven feet from the basket isn't as big as you'd think.

The key, as Nilanka mentioned, is whether or not the shot's being defended.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            ...the difference in difficulty between a long two and a shot that's, say, seven feet from the basket isn't as big as you'd think....
            Now I understand why my shooting % sucks. Gotta move in from 7 feet.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
              Clippers playing the Lakers in the Battle of LA with many new players and a new coach is much more acceptable than a guy who's been on this team and with this coach for years against probably the 4th worst team in the NBA.

You can't be a superstar if you don't have the mental toughness.
              KD was 9/24 and 2/8 from downtown against utah. i guess his superstardom is now cancelled.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                KD was 9/24 and 2/8 from downtown against utah. i guess his superstardom is now cancelled.
                KD earned 24 free throw attempts, and he made 22 of them. DeMar was 0-2 and Rudy was 2-3 from the stripe.

Comment

I made this point in another thread BUT i think it applies to this thread as well (sorta). Since we're picking apart Demar's mid-range game.....you can also mention that he mixes it up from time to time. Is anyone here even aware that he was 7th in the ENTIRE league last season in free throws made per game??

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/pl...Made/year/2013

I don't mind mid-range shots if you mix it up and get to the rim often. You need to keep the defence honest and hit open jumpers if they become available!

Comment

Do we think we have issues....did anyone watch that superstar shooting debacle in the Bulls vs Knicks game?

Melo: 8 for 24

Rose: 7 for 23

Granted they play good D but still....

Comment

Pull Up shots per game

http://stats.nba.com/playerTrackingP...&sortOrder=DES

Comment

tkfu wrote: View Post
                        KD earned 24 free throw attempts, and he made 22 of them. DeMar was 0-2 and Rudy was 2-3 from the stripe.
                        But at the same time Kevin Durant gets A LOT of calls that Demar does not get. He's earned that respect and I'm not hating but it's just the reality of the situation. You cannot touch KD without it being called a foul.
                        I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                          But at the same time Kevin Durant gets A LOT of calls that Demar does not get. He's earned that respect and I'm not hating but it's just the reality of the situation. You cannot touch KD without it being called a foul.
                          Nah, man. That's way overblown. Durant earns most of the calls he gets, and NBA refs are generally pretty fair. Fans of every team in the league think the refs are biased against them--that tells you it's about the fans, not the refs.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                            Do we think we have issues....did anyone watch that superstar shooting debacle in the Bulls vs Knicks game?

Melo: 8 for 24

Rose: 7 for 23

Granted they play good D but still....
                            well at least DRose does lol Melo notoriously takes a vacation on D most of the time.

Comment

Today's mid-range jumper watch: Rudy 1 for 7, DeMar was on fire, and made 8 of 12. I'm not gonna complain about Rudy's shot selection too much even though he shot 6-23 overall; he got into the paint a lot and just couldn't convert. DeRozan got into the paint too, and his outside shot was falling. At least 7 of his 12 mid-range attempts were excusable (either open or near the end of the shot clock). He also made some bad shots.

So, despite the loss, I'm not gonna gripe about the shot selection. There were just some bounces that didn't go our way.

Comment

At some point both DeMar as well as Gay's shot will be falling at the same time. Let's see how effective they can be together.

Comment

Working...
                                X