Casey - First coach to be fired?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

brothersteve wrote: View Post
    ..."It’s only three games into the regular season, but it is already obvious Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey’s defense is back. Number 7 in the NBA for points allowed per 100 possessions at 96.1 and number 1 in rebounding and in keeping opponents off the offensive glass, this time Casey’s defense might even be better than in the lockout shortened 2011-2012 season." Raptors Coach Casey’s Defense Is Back

How much more was anybody expecting?
    I was shocked by this from the article, Stephen: " So far this season, the Raptors are hauling in a league leading 50 rebounds per game and out-rebounding their opponents on average by 14 boards. Gay leads Toronto at 9.3 rebounds per game as Casey is going small more often and putting his most athletic player in a position to take advantage of his opponent. Gay grabbed a career best 15 boards against Milwaukee on Saturday. Johnson is pulling in 6.3 rebounds as a starter, but in under 24 minutes per game, Hansbrough (7.3), Valanciunas (7.0) and Fields (6.7) are cleaning the glass at a fantastic pace. Even starting guards Lowry and DeRozan are swooping in for 4 rebounds per game each. The Raptors are not giving up many second chances to their opposition this season."

I mean, I could see the rebounding difference with my eyes, but had no idea it was that one-side so far this season.

Comment

its three games against mid to tank opposition. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
        its three games against mid to tank opposition. I wouldn't read too much into it.
        You can say that about every game & every team in the league during the 1st week, but 50 rbs per game in any week of the season against any 3 teams is downright amazing. And begs the question - how does a fire Casey thread even start in the 1st week of the season when he is doing what he was hired to do?
        The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

For me coaching has everything to do with expectations. I think it's possible Casey could be fired this season but he won't be the first one because there are plenty of candidates where the owners/fans are expecting a winning team and the team simply isn't getting it done.

Mid-season firings of coaching staff is usually a drastic and knee-jerk reaction without much thought put into it. It often involves someone getting mad or someone who is afraid of losing their job and the reaction is to make someone else take the fall. It's often more about making a statement than making the team better.

If anyone had higher expectations than what you're seeing on the court right now, you obviously weren't paying attention. I expect this team to win about 35-38 games this year or at least be on track to win that many at that pivotal 25-30 game mark. At which point I expect some big personnel moves and then it's anyone's guess as to where we end up in the standings going forward. I wouldn't mind if we didn't win another game after that.

I scanned some of the posts and there was some talk about the lack of developing young players. What for? After we trade Gay/DeRozan/Lowry or whatever combination Masai is able to do, then we can talk about developing young players. Right now all that matters is attempting to increase the value of the players about to be traded. You're not going to get that while trying to give extra minutes and touches to JV, Ross, Stone, etc.

Coaching to win is exactly what Casey should be doing at this juncture. Come back to me after those massive contracts are shipped out. If he's still giving loads of minutes to the vets at that point, then we'll talk.
          your pal,
          ebrian

Comment

You can say that about every game & every team in the league during the 1st week,
            I can, and i do say that about everyone. I am fairly new on this board, but you'll see as time goes on that I am rarely moved by flash occurrences or simple successes in week one.

If I were to allow myself to get excited that they are hitting the glass (Hansborough is a huge help), than I also would have to point out how terrible they are on offence. I don't think its time for either just yet. I will tell you this much though, the good teams can turn on defence and tighten up on the boards.... the bad teams can rarely flick a switch and make the offence work. You need to know how to read the signs as you pass them.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              SVG is a great hire in a couple of seasons.

I think this is what goes down:

Casey gets fired for 2013-14
              Interim coach is named for rest of season as tank ensues
              interim coach is likely kept for 2014-15 assuming players respond to his teaching and he develops talent
              2015-16 is when shit gets real with real expectations after solid drafting and possible big time free agent in 2015 (loads of cap space) and unless interim coach has shown great promise, bring in SVG
              You've lost many when you typed 2016... but I'm on board; Raps fans lack patience.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                SVG is a great hire in a couple of seasons.

I think this is what goes down:

Casey gets fired for 2013-14
                Interim coach is named for rest of season as tank ensues
                interim coach is likely kept for 2014-15 assuming players respond to his teaching and he develops talent
                2015-16 is when shit gets real with real expectations after solid drafting and possible big time free agent in 2015 (loads of cap space) and unless interim coach has shown great promise, bring in SVG
                Didn't this already happen?

Change Casey for Sam Mitchell, Interim coach for Jay Triano, and SVG for Casey.
                Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Where is all this "fire" Casey crap coming from 3 games in. We've seen nothing but love from Casey's long time friend Masai Ujiri for his head coach - a coach he could have easily let go and hired a proven veteran coach from a strong program - like Hollins (13 coaching changes this summer) - but while he purged everyone else, Ujiri kept Casey instead. Ujiri wanted a defensive coach,he's made that pretty clear.

"It’s only three games into the regular season, but it is already obvious Raptors Head Coach Dwane Casey’s defense is back. Number 7 in the NBA for points allowed per 100 possessions at 96.1 and number 1 in rebounding and in keeping opponents off the offensive glass, this time Casey’s defense might even be better than in the lockout shortened 2011-2012 season." Raptors Coach Casey’s Defense Is Back

How much more was anybody expecting?
                  +1,000,000 like serious does team look like an offensive juggernaut? If you look at this roster is full of long athletes. This team is build to play this way. Yeah we have players that can score but mostly players that have way more better chance of hitting their defensive potential than offensive. Massai gave Casey a chance to prove his way of basketball can win games. I think Casey is part of the 45 days deadline as well.
                  @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Logically speaking, I'm not sure it makes much sense to dismiss Casey so early in the season. If the 45-day evaluation window is true, it's hard to believe that Masai has given up on Casey after 3 games.

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
                      I'm starting to wonder if searching for a replacement may be Ujiri's real priority at the moment.
                      I firmly believe that Ujiri's intention is for the team to have a bad record this season; I think the lack of addition of any impact players this past offseason is proof of this.

This would mean that what Masai would be looking for from the head coach would be player development.

Casey should be able to at least teach defence. And I'm going to go out on a limb assume that one of Masai's new assistants was hired specifically to develop JV's offensive game.

So, I don't think that Ujiri is interested in finding a new head coach at the moment.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

The Raptors are playing at the 6th best Defensive Rate in the League.
                        Which is exactly what Casey's job was coming into the season.
                        And we've won more games than we've lost. Coach is doing his job.

Comment

I don't think MU is overly concerned about DC at this point, as this year has been shaping up to be a lame-duck, 'wait and see' season, from the time TL/MU came on board. The organization has already had a massive internal overhaul, as has the coaching staff, and BC's golden boy Bargnani has been traded away. I think change will inevitably continue, and I doubt the starting lineup or head coach will look anything the same, come the start of next season. We don't know the details of what the journey will look like, but I think that has been MU's destination from day 1.

Comment

Working...
                          X