Another obscene suggestion from an ESPN scribe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another obscene suggestion from an ESPN scribe

"Anyway, they all can afford to do something daring. Just think: James, Wade and Bosh at Madison Square Garden.

Seriously, who would touch them? Wade at guard. LeBron at point forward. Bosh in the post or on the wing. Three good guys who could handle the New York media. Three seven-year veterans who understand you get only so many chances to hug the Larry O'Brien Trophy. Three singular players who know careers are defined by championships, not just checkbooks."

I mean how unimaginative can one get about the exercise of putting together a professional basketball team. And then winning the big prize fully knowing that your team has everyone else beat in the talent gathering contest....because you decided to "fix" the system in order to make the assembly possible. Take 3 of the best players (3 of 5 starters) and win a series of championships. Whoopee....and how fulfilling.

This is but another exercise/suggestion of doing it the Yankee way which is why I dont take the games the Yankees play seriously other than to see them get beat. A major difference though here is the writer actually has the players take an altruistic pay cut just to win the championship (which no player who signs with the Yankees actually do I think...that I know of).

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/colum...3&sportCat=nba

I had a discussion earlier on this site about this point. I happen to believe that players accepting substantially lower salaries so that they can build a dream team is basically going against what the CBA is meant to do with salary caps. The salary cap is meant to prevent clubs from building super teams to create more parity across the league so that smaller markets like OKC can thrive. Granted that is aimed at ownership not being able to build super teams, however, I think that it analogously ought to extend to players doing the same thing.

At the end of the day, the free market is trusted to regulate this from happening. Players are incentivized to get the most money in accordance with their talents. This means that LeBron ought to want the most money, as he is the best player. Granted he might be willing to 'tweak' his salary in order to accommodate other pieces, but by and large accepting veteran's minimums is simply not contemplated in any restrictions. Now with ESPN's argument that it could be made up with endorsements, that restriction no longer applies.

If I were Bosh, LeBron and Wade? I would build a team for sure. I would go out and get Boozer too on the cheap and see if I could get a PG too and maybe Ray Ray coming off the bench. Why not? Unless there is a rule to prevent it, what is to stop players from such an agreement? Nothing. Maybe it can't be regulated...But I sure would hate to see basketball become like the MLB. The New York Knicks would be even more hated than the Yankees, but I can guarantee the titles would pile up.

Comment

Meanwhile, Mr. Bosh himself is suggesting that, in the end, that scenario is about the last thing we should expect:

nba.com wrote:
      But no less an expert than Chris Bosh of the Raptors, one of the marquee names about four months away from hitting the market, said, "It can go either way. I think there's going to be a shift anyway because there's a lot of free agents in 2010. But the main guys that everybody talks about, I think it's a very strong possibility. When it comes down to it, that's where you're comfortable, that's where you're from. Well, technically. It's where you started your career. It's always a very important thing."

A very strong possibility exists that few will change addresses.

"Yeah, I think so," Bosh said. "Everybody's making so much hoopla about the whole thing and it probably won't even be that good. It's like a bad movie. You know what I mean? Everybody's, 'Oh, this is coming out, it's coming out.' And then it finally comes out and it's not what you thought it was."

Comment

These guys get paid to write this shit! Hollinger, This joker, Bleacher Report has more credibility than ESPN.

Comment

OzRapFan wrote: View Post
          Bleacher Report has more credibility than ESPN.
          Let's not get out of hand here.

Anyway, I agree with Bosh. This is probably going to be a bad movie with the climax being when Rudy Gay jumps ship to New York for a Rashard Lewis-esque contract.

Comment

I believe Bosh is far less likely to leave Toronto than Wade is to leave Miami, but he would give New York the more sustainable and balanced chance to win titles. He's clearly not the most physical big in the world and would struggle defensively if asked to consistently defend true offensively gifted centers, but he has a window of being one of the game's top five players for another eight seasons, whereas Wade's window is closer to four. The age difference accounts for two of those seasons and the other two is attributable to how much more quickly swingmen decline as opposed to bigs, particularly bigs who score with their face-up game as much as Bosh.
            This is also possible for Bosh, since the Raptors would have a greater desire and need for Lee and in this situation, Jose Calderon or even Hedo Turkoglu could also be moved to the Knicks. If Bosh leaves for the Knicks, Lee's best option contractually would probably be Toronto and the Raptors could replace Bosh with an All-Star, albeit far and away less talented, who plays the same position and a similar style.
            - Jose Calderon ($9M in 10-11, $20.341M in remaining two seasons thereafter)

If Bosh does leave Toronto, this is probably the most plausible scenario, mentioned above in a sign-and-trade. Calderon would thrive as the MDA point guard and the Raptors would have just under $29M in committed salary for 2011.
            RealGM.com

Comment

The writers idea that Bosh, Wade and James will get together is nothing more than that - an idea. Writers sometimes like to speculate too, so theres no reason to get on the offensive about it.

If it were to happen that would be pretty ridiculous, and would make the NBA a crappy league. I think everyone would rather see Wade battle against James in an epic playoff series, rather than both just crush opponents with no regard for human life.

Comment

[ Jose Calderon ($9M in 10-11, $20.341M in remaining two seasons thereafter)

If Bosh does leave Toronto, this is probably the most plausible scenario, mentioned above in a sign-and-trade. Calderon would thrive as the MDA point guard and the Raptors would have just under $29M in committed salary for 2011.]

Who else would Toronto get back from New York to make this trade work? Lee is only a portion of Bosh's salary and add Calderon's to the mix and it's quite the amount of money
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Once you reach Max Level, you stop leveling

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comment

Professional sports is broken if the players don't care about their employment income. You shouldn't be able to buy a perennial winner. It turns real sports into professional wrestling, Blue Jays = Leaping Lanny Poffo... fun to watch sometimes but you know they'll lose...

Comment

JYD18 wrote: View Post
                    [ Jose Calderon ($9M in 10-11, $20.341M in remaining two seasons thereafter)

If Bosh does leave Toronto, this is probably the most plausible scenario, mentioned above in a sign-and-trade. Calderon would thrive as the MDA point guard and the Raptors would have just under $29M in committed salary for 2011.]

Who else would Toronto get back from New York to make this trade work? Lee is only a portion of Bosh's salary and add Calderon's to the mix and it's quite the amount of money
                    The Knicks could have $30M in cap space. The contract amounts don't have to balance if its the Knicks who are taking back the extra dollars, provided they stay under cap in doing so.

Comment

Working...
                    X