Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Craiger wrote: View Post
    0%

I don't think it would be impossible (although very difficult) to add other lottery picks, but if Masai can get more they will likely be late lottery (ie. a team that thinks it can make the playoffs with 'one more peice')
    Although chances are slim, a bubble team like Detroit might be convinced to provide their pick in exchange for Gay (for example), the chemistry fails miserably or a season-ending injury happens, and their playoff goals turns into lotto reality.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
      Although chances are slim, a bubble team like Detroit might be convinced to provide their pick in exchange for Gay (for example), the chemistry fails miserably or a season-ending injury happens, and their playoff goals turns into lotto reality.
      and thats what I meant. But I just can't picture any bubble playoff team, making a trade for say Gay, and then missing the playoffs by such a margin it becomes a top pick. 10-14th pick, I can see.

Just not a legitimate bottom feeder pick - those are gonna be locked up tighter than a bear trap.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
        and thats what I meant. But I just can't picture any bubble playoff team, making a trade for say Gay, and then missing the playoffs by such a margin it becomes a top pick. 10-14th pick, I can see.

Just not a legitimate bottom feeder pick - those are gonna be locked up tighter than a bear trap.
        True....and if a scenario like the above plays out, Detroit would probably try to win every game down the stretch (even if mathematically eliminated) just to avoid the heartache of giving up a top 3 pick to a conference rival.

But then again, if there's one GM out there who has proven to accomplish the impossible, it's Ujiri

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
          It would be an all time coup...a gamble that if it played out perfectly would make TL and UM look like geniuses...and if it failed...well, can it get worse anyhow??
          And there are a number of other possible franchise changing talents in this draft

Comment

There are, and this is why i think it would be that much easier to get him

Comment

I think I'm on the tank bandwagon now.
              "Masai WILL win us a championship"
              - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

REALISTICALLY, if you think about it, there is no chance in hell this team would be any higher than a 6 seed this year or years to come. So why not trade DeRozan, Gay & lowry and just stockpile picks/young players. There's just no point in hoping that this team will be contenders, 'cause they won't be. The people that want this team to do well now are selfish, because they are just tired of watching a shitty team. I'd rather suck it up for two more years, and rebuild the right way. The way I see it, this team will be even shittier in two years if we DON'T tank than if we do.
                "Masai WILL win us a championship"
                - Tim Leiweke

Ujiri: "One thing I can say for sure is that we will not be stuck in the middle."

Reporter: "How can you say that?"

Ujiri: "Because I can say that."

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                  That's a great plan for 3 more years in the lottery - we could just re-name the Raptors as the "Timberwolves ver. 2.0" and try to beat their current streak of 9 consecutive seasons in the lottery.

If you think TV ratings are low now - blow up, tank, guarantee this team will be in the lottery in June this year and next. Grange wants to blow up the Raptors at the start and end of every season. Maybe there will be a TSN 3 set up to carry the games?
                  Not so sure Stephen. In another thread I mentioned keeping 4 from the current roster, JV, Amir, Fields and Tyler and adding Wiggins. If the Raps managed to make it into the lottery and had accumulated a couple more picks for this years draft from trades, even with no Wiggins, they could have an exciting young core. If they also managed to keep Derozan, great.

Given their extra picks in 2015 and 2016, plus their own, which could turn into players or trade kickers, I could see them putting a pretty strong team on the floor for the 2015-2016 season for sure. And if their quest for the best in 2014 sheds them of Gay's salary for expiring contracts, they could be in very good shape in the 2014/2015 season. At least back to where they are now, but with significant room for growth, both internally and from future picks/trades.

Of course, I'm no guru. It all looks easy in my head. And no guarantee that any 2014 picks they make, including Wiggins, don't turn out to be busts....But if Leiweke and Ujuri are at all tempted to swing for the fences...!

Comment

"[HINT][/HINT]"
                    Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Would TL LOVE to get Wiggins?

Ab-so-fak-en-loot-lee.

Does that mean there's any shot that Toronto will land him?

NOPE.

Wet Dreams (oops, I mean Wiggins) aside, I do agree that the team is probably better in two years if we tank now than if "wait and see" for this team to reach it's ceiling.

Is there anybody who think the raps current players have a shot at home court in the first round of the playoffs? Because getting home court this season in the first round is about as likely as landing Wiggins.
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

I'm just rooting for Rudy to put together a string of about 10 good games so that we can get someone to give us a 1st round pick for him. Washington, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Charlotte... lots of teams who could be interested. I'm pro-tank if we get picks or young players back for the players we send out. Luckily for us, we hired the GM with the best recent trade history, and he already hit one home run for us (Bargs).

If we want premier Canadian talent, Cleveland has Thompson and Bennett who could potentially be available in a trade. I'd be happy with either or those guys.

Comment

It's a death sentence for a potential playoff team's GM to trade their 2014 first round pick for any of the Raptors assets. Even if we trade JV for a pick, I figure it would likely be a top 1 protected pick because protected picks are all the rage nowadays.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                            ...Does that mean there's any shot that Toronto will land him?

NOPE...
                            Odds of #8 spot winning the top pick - 3.5

Odds of #7 spot winning the top pick - 3.6

Odds of #6 spot winning the top pick - 6.5

Odds of #5 spot winning the top pick - 8.8

If they accumulated (through crappiness or trades) the number 5 and number 6 picks, their odds go to 15.3%. After the picking order is determined, they are still in a position to trade their picks, plus other assets to whoever wins the #1 pick.

It is possible the right first pick winner might be willing to trade for the #5 + #6 picks + JV.

Not likely, but maybe. Depends on what they have. On the other hand, landing a couple of picks in the top 8 might put the Raps in a very nice position. We have all see lottery picks come into the league and have a positive impact in their first year. this seems like that kind of draft.

Comment

Is Wiggins really worth it? He has a lot of hype but he hasn't played a single game. I'm more intrigued by Randle. He's playing on Kentucky and they always have a chance of being a #1 seed. The knock you hear about Wiggins all the time is that he doesn't always appear to be fully motivated.. and the expectations could really be a detriment to his young career.

Wiggins will be a lottery pick (his hype will get him there) but even if Toronto doesn't get the first pick there is always a chance that he drops and Toronto grabs him later on in the draft.

Comment

I like Randle but he kind of reminds me of A'mare and is only 6'9.
                                @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Working...
                                X