X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to build a Contender

Interesting discussion. Thoughts?

Mamba Mentality

This video has become big on my opinion of how a winning team should be created. It's from the Sloan Conference, and it was posted on a past thread.

Essentially, they talk about everything from analytics to coaching in a way that contradicts analytics but leads to building a winning philosophy. Creating a winning culture is not as simple as get the best players and have them shoot from the right parts of the court at the right time. Most people on a team have the goal of simply keeping their job. Van Gundy argues that the first step is to create an environment where the goal changes from keeping employment to winning games (or something like that).

Anyone remember who posted this on this board first?

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post

This video has become big on my opinion of how a winning team should be created. It's from the Sloan Conference, and it was posted on a past thread.

Essentially, they talk about everything from analytics to coaching in a way that contradicts analytics but leads to building a winning philosophy. Creating a winning culture is not as simple as get the best players and have them shoot from the right parts of the court at the right time. Most people on a team have the goal of simply keeping their job. Van Gundy argues that the first step is to create an environment where the goal changes from keeping employment to winning games (or something like that).

Anyone remember who posted this on this board first?
      Fantastic post. Never saw it before. All I can say is SVG is the freakin' king. The man knows basketball and people. Advice to TL & MU: whatever it takes, get this guy on board.

Comment

if we had SVG rudy gay would never shoot a contested mid range shot early in the clock that's for sure

Comment

Great video jitsu!

This idea that you can't evaluate a player's defence unless you know exactly what schemes the team is running is mind blowing.

The Open Court video was ok; a little short to get into anything in depth. It confirmed my previously held belief that I don't care about anything Reggie Miller has to say.
          Last edited by JimiCliff; Tue Nov 5, 2013, 09:45 AM.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

i will watch the second video now, but honestly, you don't need to go past the first. Absolutely sublime how bang on, and easy to understand those guys made the sport of basketball. Steve Smith was good, Shaq was BANG ON about ownership (which is why I like the TL MU combo, willing to wait longer), and lastly, Charles Barkley pretty much took just 45 seconds to do team building for Dummies, and he was right on the button.

Fav of the bid...... "My 2 guard has to know how to shoot". Its been my basis for criticism of Raptor 2's for years. A 2 guard, if left open, has to make the pother team and its fans scared. If he doesn't, you need a new SG.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
              Great video jitsu!

This idea that you can't evaluate a player's defence unless you know exactly what schemes the team is running is mind blowing.
              Disagree 100%.
              You have just illustrated one of the keys issues, over complication. Those guys know exactly what they are talking about.

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
                Great video jitsu!

this I like. There are a lot of great things in there too. SVG is great, explaining how there is a very human element that analytics just cannot guarantee it can control.

Comment

Stan the man. Nice insights here. A worthy discussion of who of the available coaches would Masai go after if/when he decides Casey just isn't working out anymore. I think SVG would have to be in the discussion, whether he would come is something else entirely.
                  Welp, that sucked.

Comment

I mean there's just soooo many gems from SVG. I wish somebody has the time to write some of them down. I like the one where he talks about 20% is the player's ability and 80% is what happens "after the player gets into the organization" (the age old talent vs. culture argument).

It's no wonder a sloth like Hedo played his best ball under SVG. The man does not compromise on his principles and has the balls to stand up for them to anybody. One could even argue that SVG was the key factor in the development of Wade (a very flawed player) and turning around the losing culture of the Heat before the Wade-Shaq championship. Then Riley jumped on the bandwagon to steal his coaching thunder.

Comment

Working...
                    X