Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can Rudy be turned in to 3 first round picks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can Rudy be turned in to 3 first round picks?

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=mysd5kb

Rudy to Charlotte for Gordon, Biyombo, and Portland's top 12 protected pick. If Masai can weasel Detroit's top 8 pick out of them, even better!

Then on draft night, with the cap space to acquire Boozer without sending anything back to Chicago, the Raptors take the onerous contract from the Bulls for their 2014 pick and Charlotte's 2014 pick. From another thread explaining why:

Here is another reason why I think the Raptors have to trade Rudy.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...VP-For-October

Bulls need cap space to sign Mirotic. This summer, he no longer qualifies for his rookie deal. Bulls can only sign him with cap space.

Keeping Boozer, Bulls have no cap space. If they are a tax team next year they hit the repeater tax.

If Raptors trade Gay to, say Charlotte, for Gordon (expiring) and 1 first round pick, on draft night they could acquire Boozer straight up with no salary going back. So the question becomes would Chicago trade Charlotte's pick (and lets get greedy, their own 2014 or 2015 pick) for $16.8M in cap space? Of course they can do that with the amnesty clause as well, so maybe a better question is: are giving up picks worth $16.8M?
    So turn Rudy in to 3 (or 4!) first round picks - sounds simple enough! lol

Chicago can just amnesty Boozer, so giving up two 1sts would be simply Robert Sarver-ish. Also, in that scenario they'd have to renounce Deng's Bird rights too because that's the only way to open up cap space. So in effect, they are losing Boozer, Deng and two 1st round picks. That would be crippling.

If I had to guess, I would guess that they will just amnesty Boozer, offer Mirotic full midlevel, re-sign Deng and keep the picks.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; Tue Nov 5, 2013, 09:08 PM.

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
      Chicago can just amnesty Boozer, so giving up two 1sts would be simply Robert Sarver-ish. Also, in that scenario they'd have to renounce Deng's Bird rights too because that's the only way to open up cap space. So in effect, they are losing Boozer, Deng and two 1st round picks. That would be crippling.

If I had to guess, I would guess that they will just amnesty Boozer, offer Mirotic full midlevel, re-sign Deng and keep the picks.
      They still have to pay Boozer $16.8M to go away. With Bulls ownership, that is not a given.

Mirotic can make more than the midlevel in Spain.

Deng will be unrestricted and might leave regardless. However, they could still give him a $10-11M deal and have $6-7M for Mirotic.

I think it comes down to are they going to be able to sign Mirotic for $5.15M. If they an, you're right. If they can't, things get interesting with Boozer's contract.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
        http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=mysd5kb

Rudy to Charlotte for Gordon, Biyombo, and Portland's top 12 protected pick. If Masai can weasel Detroit's top 8 pick out of them, even better!

Then on draft night, with the cap space to acquire Boozer without sending anything back to Chicago, the Raptors take the onerous contract from the Bulls for their 2014 pick and Charlotte's 2014 pick. From another thread explaining why:

So turn Rudy in to 3 (or 4!) first round picks - sounds simple enough! lol
        The bold part confuses me. How do the Raptors get this capspace on draft night? Doesn't the capspace only become available at the start of the next offseason, which is after the draft?

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          The bold part confuses me. How do the Raptors get this capspace on draft night? Doesn't the capspace only become available at the start of the next offseason, which is after the draft?
          Yes. A lot of trades are made draft night pending July 10th when they can be finalized. Bulls would pick for Raptors. Similar situation to Jermaine O'Neal trade in 2008, completed draft night, official July 10th.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            They still have to pay Boozer $16.8M to go away. With Bulls ownership, that is not a given.

Mirotic can make more than the midlevel in Spain.

Deng will be unrestricted and might leave regardless. However, they could still give him a $10-11M deal and have $6-7M for Mirotic.

I think it comes down to are they going to be able to sign Mirotic for $5.15M. If they an, you're right. If they can't, things get interesting with Boozer's contract.
            The most they could offer Deng in that scenario is midlevel. So they lose Boozer, Deng and two first round picks in order to give Mirotic a little extra, when he doesn't even have a right to sign with another NBA team. A lot of people could stay in Europe for a little extra money short term, I suspect. Jonas could probably get more in Europe than his rookie salary -- if he signed a long term contract there. But that hasn't been a major issue for the NBA so far because NBA offers much bigger second contracts / career earnings and more guarantees (and big endorsement opportunities for some players). So I wouldn't mind to see the Bulls blow up half their team in order to pay Mirotic an extra mil or two, since I don't much like the Bulls, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Comment

Would Charlotte even consider this? Biyombo looks good, possibly a better piece going forward than Gay is for that team. They have a good wing tandem in MKG and Henderson. I think this would be a bad move for Charlotte. They have a good thing going forward for the first time since they got the franchise back. Why give up a pick(s) and a young big man with upside for an overpaid inefficient wing like Gay?

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
                Would Charlotte even consider this? Biyombo looks good, possibly a better piece going forward than Gay is for that team. They have a good wing tandem in MKG and Henderson. I think this would be a bad move for Charlotte. They have a good thing going forward for the first time since they got the franchise back. Why give up a pick(s) and a young big man with upside for an overpaid inefficient wing like Gay?
                I don't think they are going to make a trade like that either. People make a lot of Charlotte trade ideas because there's a school of thought that the Bobcats don't know what they are doing and are going to make a desperation playoff push trade.
                So it's not so much about "is this deal smart for the Bobcats."

Comment

Working...
                X