Best Smart Phone - 2015 update in post 36

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollo wrote: View Post
    I'm almost completely sold on the Sony Xperia Z1 now but thanks for all the feedback, especially on the Note 3. I wasn't considring that one, don't know much about it but I will study up tonight.

I'm all about Sony. I have a Bravia TV, PS3, PSP, PSV, Bluray and alarm clock.

All my gear is quality. I agree you pay more for the name but my Bravia TV(1080) is almost six years old, not a pixel is gone, the picture is still amazing quality. Meanwhile the typical life of a lot of other brand sets is much less than this. Maybe initially you get a sense that the quality is no better? I don't know, but what I do know is my gear by Sony does not break down on me.

Anyway, I'm renewing my contract with Bell to get the phone. It looks like I'd have to pay $77 for the 5S so I'm thinking the Xperia and others will be around that cost to me... I'm really glad contracts are only 2 years now.

I'm impressed with the Z1's best in class camera. I have a 2 year old so pictures and videos are very important to me now... That wasn't the case when I got my iphone 4 three years ago.

Outside of some games, my favorite iphone apps are all free. If you get a Z1 from Bell the promotion is they give you $170 worth of Sony enviroment content (ie: 10 Playstation games, 6 movies and some other stuff). That eases the pain. Sony is smart by doing this because the long term investment in converting people could be huge. The Z1 will also have PS4 integration apparently. I'm trying to find out if some of my PSN mobile games I have for PS Vita would work on the Z1.

I still like to think of Sony as quality. Their just not like they used to be...they haven't gone to crap like apple. But, I'm starting to become a Samsung guy more and more.

I still have a lot of Sony stuff, though. I don't dislike them.
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Snizzoop wrote: View Post
      People definitely don't use phones the way they used to...you can tell by the current line up of plans. Lots of minutes...free long distance...very little data. The plans with lots of data are mega bucks. Obviously they are charging for what people use. In an attempt to add "value" to their plans, they are giving away what people don't use...minutes..
      I was at a buddy of mine's condo a couple weeks ago... leaving to hit the bars, got in the elevator, and the weirdest elevator music came on... it was the song that was playing during the home invasion/rape scene in A Clockwork Orange... me and my buddy looked at each other with the WTF expressions..

it took a couple seconds... but I realized it was my phone..

that's how often it rings.. so often that I had no clue what my own ring tone was.

I think I've had more skype conversations in the last year than actual phone calls.

Comment

I've been a fan of Samsung phones for a long time...before smartphones existed. I actually used to work at a Bell store, and it was the phone most recommended. My brother is an assistant manager at a Bell store here in Barrie.

Between the two of us, we've had:
        Samsung Galaxy S
        Samsung Galaxy S2
        Samsung Galaxy S3
        Samsung Galaxy S4 (Both of us are using this now)
        Samsung Galaxy Note
        Samsung Galaxy Note 2

That being said, my bro said that the new Sonys are nice. I personally like the screen tech (S-AMOLED) of the Samsungs...black is BLACK! They are great indoors...not that good outdoors.

Also, I've ordered a Nexus 5...it'll be here today. My wife will be using it though.

Comment

the thing I like about Samsungs are how awesome they are right out of the box... Touchwiz is a fantastic interface..

Rooting androids is great... it really is... completely different from jailbreaking an iphone... with a little tech-savviness, rooting can really enhance your smartphone experience...

but with Touchwiz, it's almost irrelevant.. it runs so well, you don't really have the urge to change anything

my friend's wife has my old S2... and it still runs smooth like butter

Comment

Ok, so, the person I talked with yesterday gave me incorrect information. It was over $200 to get the 5S. The Xperia Z1 was $200. I talked her down to $150 and she waived the activation fee. I also got a sweet new loyalty plan. I'm pretty happy with how the call went. I'm grabbing the phone tomorrow or Saturday.

Comment

I've have a horrible experience with Sony Xperia. I had an Xperia x10 and it was complete trash, it would overheat and shut down by itself. Never buying another Xperia phone after that. I'm sticking with my Iphone 5

Comment

Sorry to hear you had such a hard go of it. I'll let you know my experience with the Z1. Based on professional and user reviews its an awesome phone.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  I've have a horrible experience with Sony Xperia. I had an Xperia x10 and it was complete trash, it would overheat and shut down by itself. Never buying another Xperia phone after that. I'm sticking with my Iphone 5
                  The X10 was Sony's first android phone. like I said before, I had less than stellar experiences with the early Xperias as well. It was also running an early android OS... I believe Donut? a lot of kinks in the android phones and the android software hadn't been worked out yet.

BUT... it's Sony.

To not give them the benefit of the doubt, and expect their future products to not improve is silly. They're damn good at what they do.

Comment

Slightly off topic...

...I took a look at the Xperia Z Ultra last night...

...DAMN that thing is HUGE!

No wonder they include a mini BlueTooth phone with it.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                      The X10 was Sony's first android phone. like I said before, I had less than stellar experiences with the early Xperias as well. It was also running an early android OS... I believe Donut? a lot of kinks in the android phones and the android software hadn't been worked out yet.

BUT... it's Sony.

To not give them the benefit of the doubt, and expect their future products to not improve is silly. They're damn good at what they do.
                      I agree with that last part for sure.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post

BUT... it's Sony.

That's the nature of tech. If you're an early adopter you're signing on to all the glitches and bugs. Sony is a great electronics manufacturer and based on reviews they've come a very long way since the X10.

Snizzoop wrote: View Post
                        Slightly off topic...

...I took a look at the Xperia Z Ultra last night...

...DAMN that thing is HUGE!

No wonder they include a mini BlueTooth phone with it.
                        Yeah, it's like the size of an ipad mini ha, ha. If I was someone the size of Shaq it would appeal to me.

Comment

So I brought back the Z1 and got the Note 3. I liked everything about the Z1 except the built in screen protector. The Z1 screen is advertised as scratch resistant, which is true, but what they do not mention in all those reviews and news releases is that it has a screen protector on it and this protector is not scratch proof, it's meant to protect against shattering. The protector is prone to scratches and if you remove it(you would need a scalpel) you void the warranty on the screen. I'm extremely picky about my screens. I think it's idiotic to have to go a buy screen protector protector and so I brought the darn thing back. For crying out loud Sony... Maybe in two years you'll be using Gorilla Glass...
                          Last edited by Apollo; Sun Nov 10, 2013, 03:29 PM. Reason: Z1 out, Note 3 in:

Comment

So I brought back the Z1 and got the Note 3. I liked everything about the Z1 except the built in screen protector. The Z1 screen is advertised as scratch resistant, which is true, but what they do not mention in all those reviews and news releases is that it has a screen protector on it and this protector is not scratch proof, it's meant to protect against shattering. The protector is prone to scratches and if you remove it(you would need a scalpel) you void the warranty on the screen. I'm extremely picky about my screens. I think it's idiotic to have to go a buy screen protector protector and so I brought the darn thing back. For crying out loud Sony... Maybe in two years you'll be using Gorilla Glass...
                            Apparently Synthetic Sapphire is the future of the Screen:
                            The fracture toughness of sapphire should be around 4 times greater than Gorilla Glass – about 3 MPa-m0.5 versus 0.7 MPa-m0.5, respectively.

Source
                            Really interesting article if you have the time.

Sorry to hear about the Z1. I hear the Note 3 is pretty solid piece of equipment though.

Comment

The Note 3 is amazing. The Z1 was really good but this is on another level. If only it had the Z1's camera.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk

Comment

The Note 3 is amazing. The Z1 was really good but this is on another level. If only it had the Z1's camera.

Sent from my Note 3 using Tapatalk
                                have you gotten used to the stylus yet? seriously changes the whole game. messaging, photo editing, even match 3 games... it's awesome

since it's your first foray into android... I cant recommend installing as many of google's apps as possible.. Keep is one of the best note taking apps I've ever used.. and load up on your cloud storage apps too... most of them give you bonus space for using a Samsung for some reason

Comment

Working...
                                X