Hard to Watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard to Watch

I don't know if it's just me, but watching the Raptors play is painful. They don't seem to have much cohesion and it seems to me that usually just 2 to 3 players touch the ball on each possession.

IMO, that makes for extremely predictable offence which as the games go, just becomes more and more stagnant.

And on top of this, Casey just doesn't seem to know how to manage a game. I'm not a fan of tanking, but honestly, after watching these first few games, I don't think Toronto has to try very hard at all to "tank".

I know they're young, but wow, they just don't seem to play as a team. As soon as any pressure gets applied, the team just falls apart and plays ISO ball.

I was thinking of buying tickets to see one of the supposedly "exciting" teams which the Raptors have been referred to, but really, I just don't see it. I hope this is just them not gelling yet, but my gut tells me this is how it's going to be this year.

End o' rant.
    Walking like I'm already there.

They look like they don't know how to play fundamental basketball.
    A wise man once said: F*ck Brooklyn!

Comment

I have mentioned this before, as a guy who prefers a defense-first approach, I have been impressed that they have been able to hold their opponents below 100 (with the exception of 2 games), so that to me is fun to watch. To me, the only one that has to gtfo (besides Casey) is DeMar, flame me if you want, but his defense is terrible. I'd be much more content with Ross at this point.

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
        I have mentioned this before, as a guy who prefers a defense-first approach, I have been impressed that they have been able to hold their opponents below 100 (with the exception of 2 games), so that to me is fun to watch. To me, the only one that has to gtfo (besides Casey) is DeMar, flame me if you want, but his defense is terrible. I'd be much more content with Ross at this point.
        I think it's obvious, change needs to come. I think though that DeMar is part of the problem because he has the ball too much. I think Lowry needs to score more. That's how we all fell in love with him in the first place. He as lighting it up for the Rockets.

Let Lowry score and let Jonas and Ross play through their growing pains. It's not like Toronto is winning with them on the bench. They lost to the Bobcats!

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
          I'd be much more content with Ross at this point.
          Yeah....
          Content isn't the word I would use, but yeah.

They are both complimentary pieces, but I think DeRozan is just tainted by years of garbage Raptorball.
          He shouldn't be a ball-stopper, and I think he's been conditioned to do more than he should.

I think I would rather just have Ross playing good D and sticking his shots in the flow.
          As long as we don't do that stupid thing we have a history of doing (asking good players to do too much and turning them into bad players), I think I've seen enough to be convinced he can do both admirably.

Comment

has anyone considered bringing demar off the bench????
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

he would dominate the majority of teams second units. He likes to have the ball in his hands so it would work out well since hes a big iso guy
              We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Shrub wrote: View Post
                Yeah....
                I think I would rather just have Ross playing good D and sticking his shots in the flow.
                As long as we don't do that stupid thing we have a history of doing (asking good players to do too much and turning them into bad players), I think I've seen enough to be convinced he can do both admirably.
                The only other solution I see is to massively shorten the rotation. I think Ross, Fields and Psycho T + one PG (sparingly) should be the only ones off the bench, and there should never be more than 2 bench players on the court at the same time. The starters will get tired, but hey, the team's losing, these guys are young, let them play.

And Jonas should not be benched in favour of small ball. Hibbert doesn't get benched, so if Toronto wants Big Val to reach his potential, they have to let other teams adapt to him, not the other way around.

I'm really not a fan of Casey's small ball lineups.

Comment

Ambidextrious wrote: View Post
                  has anyone considered bringing demar off the bench????
                  This idea was bounced around a lot during the summer here.. I personally like the idea as well.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    This idea was bounced around a lot during the summer here.. I personally like the idea as well.
                    I think this is a wonderful idea along with being logical. However, how would that work in reality? This guy's been starting forever, no one on the bench is really considered "better" than him, so I think mentally, it would be hard for him to swallow and might end up having a severely negative effect on his performance.

I know Amir doesn't care about starting or coming off the bench, but I'm not so sure about DeMar.

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
                      I think this is a wonderful idea along with being logical. However, how would that work in reality? This guy's been starting forever, no one on the bench is really considered "better" than him, so I think mentally, it would be hard for him to swallow and might end up having a severely negative effect on his performance.

I know Amir doesn't care about starting or coming off the bench, but I'm not so sure about DeMar.
                      These guys are all supposedly team first, and I would think that's the case with a guy like DeMar.

If anything, the game should be easier for him facing guys on the second unit of other teams.
                      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                        These guys are all supposedly team first, and I would think that's the case with a guy like DeMar.

If anything, the game should be easier for him facing guys on the second unit of other teams.
                        I hope you're right and I hope that it's something that's being discussed. Sadly, I don't see this happening, but my fingers are crossed.

Comment

10 000 Hours wrote: View Post
                          I hope you're right and I hope that it's something that's being discussed. Sadly, I don't see this happening, but my fingers are crossed.
                          With a guy like Casey at the head, it won't happen lol. Just a pipe dream.
                          Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

I know well most likely never see demar coming off the bench consistently, I could imagine DC becoming curious enough to try shuffling the lineup to spice things up at one point.

Comment

I personally think DeMar needs to get off this team, he is having a Frank Thomas effect on this team.

Comment

Working...
                              X