Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Game #9: Toronto Raptors 103 - Memphis Grizzlies 87 (F)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• psrs1 wrote: View Post

You can do all of the above save fa signings without tanking . You never know how a highly touted prospect will turn out. This strategy is flawed yet you don't see it ..
    So if you don't get a high draft pick and you don't sign free agents, how do you get the elite talent THAT EVERY SINGLE CONTENDING TEAM NEEDS to compete?

Your entire argument is flawed yet you don't see it.

I acknowledge nothing is a guarantee.

However the route I am suggesting (obtaining prospects, picks - higher the better) at least leaves open the trade route which might later open free agency.

Who are the Raptors signing with a MLE to dangle? No one significant.
    Who are the Raptors trading for if you keep this core? No one significant.
    If you don't keep this core and you trade, how do you build fast enough so player doesn't leave at first chance? You don't - Bosh Part Deux.

Building through the draft (and the higher the better) ensures you can at least keep core pieces 8-9 years.

For someone who is pushing the draft mid round as the key to building this ridiculously flawed roster, the odds of picking a dude in the mid to late first round is significantly higher than in the top 5 - wouldn't you think?

Comment

You can do all of the above save fa signings without tanking . You never know how a highly touted prospect will turn out. This strategy is flawed yet you don't see it ..
      So the two strategies are exactly the same, except for two differences:

1. Drafting potentially in top-5, instead of drafting in 10-20 range

2. Having cap space to sign free agents, instead of not having any cap space (and possibly becoming a luxury tax team depending on what Lowry re-signs for)

I'd say those are two pretty significant differences, which you seem to be downplaying as though they don't really matter at all.

Comment

Any strategy has flaws. For instance, keeping the status quo has a sh*t-ton of flaws. Hoping an elite FA will be available and amenable to coming to Toronto on a contract we can afford has flaws. Pretending that MU can swing enough trades to turn the current inefficient, overpaid, never-winning-a-'ship "core" into a conference finals contender before Valanciunas walks in 3 years because the team still sucks has flaws.

Yes, hanging your hat on the fact that the best players in history are usually found in the top-10 of the draft also has flaws.

Good management chooses the path with the fewest flaws and best chance for success.
        Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
          "3 and D" seems limiting to me. With some improvements in his ball handling ability, Ross could develop a pretty varied offensive repertoire.

He's too much of an athlete to be parked in the corner waving his hands for a kickout.
          Exactly what i was thinking. His handles are improved since last season and his defense has hit another level. I'm interested to see what T Ross can accomplish, i want him to push DeRozan even harder. Part of me wants T Ross to surpass DeRozan and become the star wing on this team, but that's probably too much to ask
          Last edited by NoPropsneeded; Thu Nov 14, 2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

• jimmie wrote: View Post
            Any strategy has flaws. For instance, keeping the status quo has a sh*t-ton of flaws. Hoping an elite FA will be available and amenable to coming to Toronto on a contract we can afford has flaws. Pretending that MU can swing enough trades to turn the current inefficient, overpaid, never-winning-a-'ship "core" into a conference finals contender before Valanciunas walks in 3 years because the team still sucks has flaws.

Yes, hanging your hat on the fact that the best players in history are usually found in the top-10 of the draft also has flaws.

Good management chooses the path with the fewest flaws and best chance for success.
            I agree 100%

Comment

Working...
            X