Where the REAL tankers at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nosike wrote: View Post
    The qualifying offer isn't actually a year of his contract though, Val is only guaranteed to be here for 4 years total.
    Another team can offer JV a contract, but Toronto has a right to match.. so technically if Toronto wants, JV will be a Raptor for at least 7 more years.

Comment

• Rookie contracts are very powerful assets in the NBA

Comment

The qualifying offer isn't actually a year of his contract though, Val is only guaranteed to be here for 4 years total.
        Not true. Once the QO is made, the Raptors have the right to match any offer made to Valanciunas as a Restricted Free Agent, meaning he'll theoretically be here at least 2 additional seasons, since offer sheets tendered to RFA's must be for a minimum of 2 years. That puts Valanciunas in a Raptors uniform for a minimum of 6 years total (4 more seasons after this season).
        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Wed Nov 20, 2013, 05:47 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
          Not true. Once the QO is made, the Raptors have the right to match any offer made to Valanciunas as a Restricted Free Agent, meaning he'll theoretically be here at least 2 additional seasons, since offer sheets tendered to RFA's must be for a minimum of 2 years. That puts Valanciunas in a Raptors uniform for a minimum of 6 years total (4 more seasons after this season).
          Right but that's a NEW CONTRACT if he doesn't take the QO, so technically his rookie deal is only 4 years. That's what I'm saying.

Comment

Right but that's a NEW CONTRACT if he doesn't take the QO, so technically his rookie deal is only 4 years. That's what I'm saying.
            But what you are saying is wrong unless you mean he will leave the NBA.

His rookie deal will be 4 years plus qualifying deal.

5 total

1 done, plus 3 more, plus qualifying

Or 1 done, 3 more, out of NBA

Comment

Technically that's true, but Valanciunas has no choice of where he plays for his first 5-7 years in the NBA. Without a QO being extended, the player becomes a fully Unrestricted Free Agent (I believe). He either accepts the QO (1 season), negotiates an extension with Toronto, or negotiates with another team (minimum 2 seasons), with Toronto able to match that team's offer.

His second contract has limitations as to how much he can make, so it's really more of an extension of his first rookie-scale contract. Players don't have the opportunity to fully control their own destiny on a completely open market until after 5-7 years, when their second contract expires.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                But what you are saying is wrong unless you mean he will leave the NBA.

His rookie deal will be 4 years plus qualifying deal.

5 total

1 done, plus 3 more, plus qualifying

Or 1 done, 3 more, out of NBA
                it's actually 1 done, 3 more, new contract.

So his rookie deal is 1+3=4

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                  Technically that's true, but Valanciunas has no choice of where he plays for his first 5-7 years in the NBA. Without a QO being extended, the player becomes a fully Unrestricted Free Agent (I believe). He either accepts the QO (1 season), negotiates an extension with Toronto, or negotiates with another team (minimum 2 seasons), with Toronto able to match that team's offer.

His second contract has limitations as to how much he can make, so it's really more of an extension of his first rookie-scale contract. Players don't have the opportunity to fully control their own destiny on a completely open market until after 5-7 years, when their second contract expires.
                  I don't disagree with that first paragraph. Well he does have a choice, but it's restricted by his team.

All I'm saying is his rookie deal will be 4 years. And no it's not an extension of his rookie contract because he COULD go to another team. It's a NEW deal. Last I checked contracts don't just balloon from 5M to 15M (see Paul George), players get new deals.

Comment

it's actually 1 done, 3 more, new contract.

So his rookie deal is 1+3=4
                    Unless he signs the qualifying offer to become unrestricted for his 6th season.

Which brings me back to the original point I made:
                    JV leaving won't be an issue if he leaves after his rookie contract as OP asked (before thread merged) because:
                    A) if he is he left the nba
                    B) he will play out the qualifying offer to become UFA (which won't happen because he leaves tens of millions on the table),
                    C) he signs his 4/5 year extension and he can leave as UFA in 2020 or 2021 if he chooses

In the quest to prove a point you forgot the issue at hand it would appear to me.

Comment

I don't disagree with that first paragraph. Well he does have a choice, but it's restricted by his team.

All I'm saying is his rookie deal will be 4 years. And no it's not an extension of his rookie contract because he COULD go to another team. It's a NEW deal. Last I checked contracts don't just balloon from 5M to 15M (see Paul George), players get new deals.
                      This is what spurred discussion:

Chr1s1anL wrote: View Post
                      Do you think JV will resign after not making the playoffs after 4 years?

It's funny that JV fab boys are one in same as the tankers. People think that it's going to be as simple as drafting someone this year and than making the playoffs next season. It's not going to be that easy. If Lebron didn't make the playoffs his rookie year than these guys won't either. We're looking at least at a 3 year rebuilding process. That's only if we pick up a nice vet free agent who wants to play for a team that hasn't made the playoffs in 8 years. Get him at market value too lol. Back to my question. Do you think JV will resign after 4 years of no any post season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      What CRF and myself are saying is Toronto holds leverage after year 4.

If he is not a raptor after year 4 it is because it is Toronto's choice or he left the NBA in which case Toronto will still hold his rights as long as they choose to issue QO

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        This is what spurred discussion:

What CRF and myself are saying is Toronto holds leverage after year 4.

If he is not a raptor after year 4 it is because it is Toronto's choice or he left the NBA in which case Toronto will still hold his rights as long as they choose to issue QO
                        I'm fully aware of what spurred the discussion, I was just making it clear that you were wrong when you said his rookie contract is 5 years.

Yeah we have JV locked up for 8-9 years (total) as long as we're willing to pay (9 would be if we give make him our "franchise" guy with the 5 year deal, which wouldn't be smart imo).

Comment

I'm fully aware of what spurred the discussion, I was just making it clear that you were wrong when you said his rookie contract is 5 years.

Yeah we have JV locked up for 8-9 years (total) as long as we're willing to pay (9 would be if we give make him our "franchise" guy with the 5 year deal, which wouldn't be smart imo).
                          His rookie deal would be 5 years if he played for the qualifying offer.

That is already negotiated, it is in the CBA. The qualifying offer is part of the rookie deal.

If the Raptors pull the offer or he signs an extension his rookie deal is 4 years.

All this is kind of irrelevant. But I'm glad you feel the need to make clear I'm wrong.

Comment

At this point, you are nitpicking for no value. If you're not going to add to the discussion, then at least don't try to antagonize people.

No way JV is going anywhere anytime soon unless we deem it, so to answer the question by Chr1s1anL; yes JV will resign, regardless of the playoff success. Better question, how many players don't resign at the end of their rookie deals? How many play out the QO to reach UFA status earlier? I'd say the number of top 20 picks who did this, is between 0-3 in the last 20 years.
                            Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Working...
                            X