Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ceez wrote: View Post
    and $15 mill next year
    He's not a $15m cap hit next year. His SALARY next year is $15m, but his cap hit is the average of the three years' salary: $8.3m. Houston backended their deal precisely because they wanted to make it unpalatable to New York to match it, because if New York had structured their deal as a 5/5/15 deal, their cap hit would have been exactly what he was getting paid each year because Lin was already a Knick - but Houston, by virtue of being a new team, gets the cap hit as an average rather than the actual, and if they trade Lin the cap hit remains that way.

Comment

akashsingh wrote: View Post
      my wish list right now for a good tank consists of anthony bennett and dennis schroeder. masai make it happen!!
      Schroeder probably isn't going anywhere because Danny Ferry is smart and knows the future when he sees it.

Bennett, though? Bennett is gettable, because he's been a total disaster in Cleveland so far. For good reasons, sure (he's coming back from serious injury, he's dealing with asthma issues and he's a bundle of nerves because he didn't expect to be the #1 pick), but he's been a disaster.

Comment

The deals will be there. And if Harden and Howard get their personal acts together, the Rockets will continue to pile up wins even with Asik working in and out of the rotation. Houston’s front office needs data, and time, and they don’t need to cater to the (understandable) whims of Asik and his agent. They need to figure out what’s best for their team, and then go about trying to negotiate to add what’s best for their team.

Somehow, you get the feeling Daryl Morey already knows this. You can take your eyes off the ticker for now, Rocket fans.
        http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...0399--nba.html

Comment

man i forgot about the whole analytics thing, rockets aren't going to want anyone on our team
          @sweatpantsjer

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            man i forgot about the whole analytics thing, rockets aren't going to want anyone on our team
            I could see Amir and his 'summer 3' drawing some interest from Houston, but he certainly wouldn't be sufficient return for Asik. I still think a multi-team trade is the only way Toronto would get involved.

Comment

Omer Asik is an asset, and we're in the business of acquiring assets in order to win championships. Every team is. We're not going to reach that goal by standing pat, and we're certainly not going to find a team who just says "Yea sure, I'll give you all my assets and I will take on your horrible contracts. Have a draft pick while you're at it. Good trade guys!".

As far as development of JV, or forcing players to share positions they have a "stranglehold" -- who cares? I mean, does it really matter in the long run if we don't get out from under all these bad contracts and overrated players and are unable to build through the draft or free agency? At this stage we can't be scrutinizing every deal and worrying about the development or starting position of such and such player. JV getting 10 mpg less than before is not going to drop his ceiling from Sabonis to Loren Woods. Amir Johnson has a stranglehold of the starting PF, but do you really see him as the starting PF of a good team? Right now he may be one of our best and most consistent players. Ideally he should be a 6th best player on a good team.

My advice (feel free to ignore) is don't get overly attached to any players on this team. Believe me MU's goal is to clear Colangelo's mess and when that happens some of you guys are going to be really sad that we lost a certain player who led us to a stellar 38 win season and you'll be wondering what could have been. And then we will be good and you'll forget.

Has anyone ever read that story about how a guy takes a ballpoint pen on Craigslist and keeps trading it for something else, and eventually after several dozen trades he ends up with a car? Or was it a weekend getaway. Anyway, that's what Masai will do. For a time we will trade for things that make absolutely no sense to own, but it's part of the process. We'll get duplicates, broken items, items that others would have just thrown out. Those are just intermediate steps towards the end goal. As long as we acquire junk that other teams want, we're going in the right direction.
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                As long as we acquire junk that other teams want, we're going in the right direction.
                I completely agree. You don't jump from the mess BC left this team in, to championship contender in a single deal, or even a single season. It absolutely is a process.

I think the Gay trade from last year is actually a great example. A deal was available for Calderon with Detroit, but Toronto wasn't interested in the return (Prince & Daye, ironically). However, Memphis was quite happy to add Davis & a 2nd round pick, while also flipping Calderon for the very deal Toronto wasn't interested in.

In this case, Toronto is Memphis and Asik is Calderon... for all we know, making a deal work is contingent on finalizing a subsequent deal. I agree that no trade should be analyzed too much in a vacuum, but rather the net impact of multiple moves should be evaluated whenever the dust settles. I have a feeling that when MU's dealing starts, it will include several moves, whether at the deadline, at the draft or next offseason.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                  He's not a $15m cap hit next year. His SALARY next year is $15m, but his cap hit is the average of the three years' salary: $8.3m. Houston backended their deal precisely because they wanted to make it unpalatable to New York to match it, because if New York had structured their deal as a 5/5/15 deal, their cap hit would have been exactly what he was getting paid each year because Lin was already a Knick - but Houston, by virtue of being a new team, gets the cap hit as an average rather than the actual, and if they trade Lin the cap hit remains that way.
                  You are incorrect here. That averaging of the years for the cap hit only applies if he stays on Houston. If he's traded, then the cap hit is the salary for that year. So if he's traded, the team that gets him will have a $15M cap hit next year.

Comment

I think a much more logical destination for Asik than Toronto is Atlanta.

They have a great PF signed to a great contract in Millsap that they could swap straight up for Asik. Both teams win as Houston desperately needs a PF and Atlanta desperately needs a starting center so they can play Horford at the 4 where he belongs.

Trade can't go down until December 15th because Millsap was an offseason signing. So once again, I don't think anything happens in the NBA trade front until December 15th.

Comment

ebrian wrote: View Post
                      Believe me MU's goal is to clear Colangelo's mess and when that happens some of you guys are going to be really sad that we lost a certain player who led us to a stellar 38 win season and you'll be wondering what could have been. And then we will be good and you'll forget.
                      Heh heh heh

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        You are incorrect here. That averaging of the years for the cap hit only applies if he stays on Houston. If he's traded, then the cap hit is the salary for that year. So if he's traded, the team that gets him will have a $15M cap hit next year.
                        Nope. He had it right.

Larry Coon:

4 If a player signed pursuant to the Gilbert Arenas provision is later traded, his trade value is equivalent to his cap amount, and new team inherets the same cap hit as the team that traded him. In other words, if the player goes to the team submitting the offer sheet and that team later trades him, the average salary of the contract is charged to his new team's cap. If instead the player's original team matches the offer sheet, keeps the player, and subsequently trades him, the player's actual salary is charged to his new team's cap.
                        http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q44

You are right if Chicago matched and traded.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                          Asheeeeeeek

If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
                            Schroeder probably isn't going anywhere because Danny Ferry is smart and knows the future when he sees it.

Bennett, though? Bennett is gettable, because he's been a total disaster in Cleveland so far. For good reasons, sure (he's coming back from serious injury, he's dealing with asthma issues and he's a bundle of nerves because he didn't expect to be the #1 pick), but he's been a disaster.
                            jeff teague is having a good year, it's possible they want to move forward with him, and would be willing to part with schroeder for derozan.

Gay is looking like a tough sell, he's playing like shit! But if anyone would take him it would be the cavs.

Comment

I dunno if this is realistic say we get Asik for whatever, then we trade Asik and Gay to Cle for Bennet Bynum (is he's a bust for them) and maybe a pick ideally?… Hopefully Bynum comes here and gets injured and sits his ass out for the year we suck get high pick.. I'm speaking very simplistically but you get my point

Comment

Burnit482 wrote: View Post
                                I dunno if this is realistic say we get Asik for whatever, then we trade Asik and Gay to Cle for Bennet Bynum (is he's a bust for them) and maybe a pick ideally?… Hopefully Bynum comes here and gets injured and sits his ass out for the year we suck get high pick.. I'm speaking very simplistically but you get my point
                                Bennet?
                                Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

Working...
                                X