Colangelo's last 3 moves as Raptors GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axel wrote: View Post
    Where did I discount your opinion as hindsight? All I said to you was that both Drummond and Bargnani had flags about their level of effort and low motors. You thought that only some people felt that, and I countered with that most likely felt it but some were willing to take the risk. I don't see any discount double check there.

The only reference to hindsight in this entire thread (to another poster) I've made is to say you can't say BC made a mistake without hindsight because Drummond was seen as a risky pick by many people. Hence the Kwame Brown comparisons that were common used at the time of the draft. People are piling on BC for taking the risk in the Lowry trade but not taking the risk in drafting Drummond. So he was kinda damned if you do, damned if you don't. I'm not a BC supporter, but I don't think the Lowry trade or the 2012 draft are the reasons he deserved to be fired. He deserved to be fired for (in rough order): Bargnani extension, trade for Gay, Fields offer sheet amount, Demar extension, roster construction 101, and planning for the future.
    from above

You are using hindsight to justify your opinion, which look accurate now, but that doesn't mean BC made a mistake at the time

Your premise is the decision at the time wasn't a mistake. Others are arguing the decision at the time was a mistake.

You are claiming that premise only looks 'right' now because of hindsight, yet people argued it without hindsight.

I can't think of a reason how that isn't disounting one's opinion based on the hindsight

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
      from above

Your premise is the decision at the time wasn't a mistake. Others are arguing the decision at the time was a mistake.

You are claiming that premise only looks 'right' now because of hindsight, yet people argued it without hindsight.

I can't think of a reason how that isn't disounting one's opinion based on the hindsight

Ok, so you are referring to a completely different post than the one your quoted me on originally. Little confusing when you do it that way.

My hindsight comment is referring to Craig (not Craiger, you guys need some original names ) who said that "Drummond was the right call there. Period. BC's famous ego wouldn't let him choose a guy that might put a shadow over his "brilliant" JV coup de tat. It was a stupid move, and one that is pretty glaring right now."
      The point is, there is no period. Drummond was considered a risky pick by many people. Therefore the comment by Craig is using hindsight to pile on BC for what was, at the time, a fully justifiable decision based on the opinion of many draft "experts". Whether you agreed with the decision is irrelevant, it's not like he went out an drafted Robert Sacre with the #8 pick. He chose a player based on the risk/reward of Drummond being too risky. Many experts agreed. With hindsight, we see that Drummond awoke upon his arrival to the NBA.
      Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
        2.) TRoss was a fair pick; it's not like there's anybody who was picked after him who has become definitively better.
        Drummond, lol

Comment

magoon wrote: View Post
          They chose the cautious route, and there's nothing wrong with the cautious route sometimes.
          Here is where I completely agree with you Magoon. You're right. 100%. Ross seemed like a guy who wasn't gonna get anyone fired, and at that time, that was big on the GM's mind I would imagine.

Comment

Ok, so you are referring to a completely different post than the one your quoted me on originally. Little confusing when you do it that way.

My hindsight comment is referring to Craig (not Craiger, you guys need some original names ) who said that "Drummond was the right call there. Period. BC's famous ego wouldn't let him choose a guy that might put a shadow over his "brilliant" JV coup de tat. It was a stupid move, and one that is pretty glaring right now."
            The point is, there is no period. Drummond was considered a risky pick by many people. Therefore the comment by Craig is using hindsight to pile on BC for what was, at the time, a fully justifiable decision based on the opinion of many draft "experts". Whether you agreed with the decision is irrelevant, it's not like he went out an drafted Robert Sacre with the #8 pick. He chose a player based on the risk/reward of Drummond being too risky. Many experts agreed. With hindsight, we see that Drummond awoke upon his arrival to the NBA.
            Buddy, no offence, but if I was screaming it before the pick was made, than it aint' hindsight. Like another guy said, its possible for people to be right about things. I ain't saying Ross was a terrible pick, I'm saying, Drummond was a better pick. Was to me then, is now.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
              Buddy, no offence, but if I was screaming it before the pick was made, than it aint' hindsight. Like another guy said, its possible for people to be right about things. I ain't saying Ross was a terrible pick, I'm saying, Drummond was a better pick. Was to me then, is now.
              God I hate when people say "buddy".

Regardless of what you thought was the right choice, you cannot say that Drummond was the only defensible choice then. If you are, then I'm sorry, but that is incredibly closed minded to what the reality was at that time. Yes, Drummond has proven many people wrong, but you cannot say he was the only choice, regardless of how much you yelled at your television.

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Is everyone forgetting T Ross is Slam Dunk fuckin Champion? BC drafted that.

Comment

God I hate when people say "buddy".

Regardless of what you thought was the right choice, you cannot say that Drummond was the only defensible choice then. If you are, then I'm sorry, but that is incredibly closed minded to what the reality was at that time. Yes, Drummond has proven many people wrong, but you cannot say he was the only choice, regardless of how much you yelled at your television.
                  Buddy... come on.
                  First, my TV? Oh hell no, I was at the ACC eating free Hotdogs and drinking free beer!!!
                  Second, have you read my posts? I have said already that Ross was a safe pick. Just thought then, and do now that he wasn't the right pick. And why shouldn't I have had that opinion? Basketball was a sport I played growing up, all the way to bloody college, and then I played after that, and followed, and cared. Why could I now have a healthy and credible opinion, which, down th road, has clearly become no longer an opinion, but just a fact, therefore making my argument back then, solid as all fuck!

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                    Buddy... come on.
                    First, my TV? Oh hell no, I was at the ACC eating free Hotdogs and drinking free beer!!!
                    Second, have you read my posts? I have said already that Ross was a safe pick. Just thought then, and do now that he wasn't the right pick. And why shouldn't I have had that opinion? Basketball was a sport I played growing up, all the way to bloody college, and then I played after that, and followed, and cared. Why could I now have a healthy and credible opinion, which, down th road, has clearly become no longer an opinion, but just a fact, therefore making my argument back then, solid as all fuck!

Comment

At least you weep, now I know you're human.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                        right, and all he actually does is shoot threes
                        and miss them most of the time

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                          He hit the side of the backboard a couple of times...does that count?

I actually think Ross has played better this year in terms of positioning and shot selection. He still doesn't execute at a high level, but he is at least making better decisions than last year.

Comment

He hit the side of the backboard a couple of times...does that count?

I actually think Ross has played better this year in terms of positioning and shot selection. He still doesn't execute at a high level, but he is at least making better decisions than last year.
                            I'm sure he could get into a nice rhythm if given consistent minutes.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                              That Slam Dunk Trophy has really been huge for the Raptors so far this season.
                              Mamba Mentality

Comment

phez wrote: View Post
                                that is so DISRESPECTFUL - Stephen A smith

Comment

Working...
                                X