Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asik to Toronto.... for a brief stop over until December 15th

Eric (Chicago)

What can the Rockets realistically get for Asik? Everyone knows he's going to be traded and everyone knows he's been asking out ever since Howard signed there. Do the Rockets take a deal now if it suits them or wait closer to the deadline? I mean if they are going to deactivate him on game days, teams will be lining up to not present their best deals. They need him on the floor to enhance his value.

Chad Ford

I think they're shopping. Doesn't seem like they have much in the way of a deal right now. Someone like Ryan Anderson of the Pelicans or Ersan Ilyasova of the Bucks would be perfect on the team. They really need a stretch four to compliment Dwight Howard. I think both guys might be available, but not sure Asik is the right bait. May have to be a three team trade.

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat...ider-chad-ford
    OK, here we go!

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine/?tradeId=prf6tzc

Houston: Ilyasova, Novak
    Milwaukee: DeRozan, Amir, Lowry
    Toronto: Asik, Ridnour, Udoh, Giannis 'Po

Why?

Houston: Stretch 4's and more shooters to surround Harden, Howard, and Lin.

Milwaukee: Forever looking for the playoffs. This actually gives them some assets that can be retained. I always thought of Milwaukee as a destination for DeRozan because of Ilyasova but DD has been average from 3pt thus far this season and MONEY from the corners. Sadly his eFG% and TS% have plummeted due to the inefficiency of the ISO. Maybe a change in Milwaukee will do him good and Drew loves to move the ball - could be great for him. I think this is a playoff team in the east assuming Sanders gets right and trade machine jacks them +11 wins!:

Essentially Bucks are trading Ilyasova and a (really damn good) prospect for Lowry, DeRozan, Amir, and a likely playoff berth.

Toronto: Asik is a stop over for another trade (see below); Ridnour and Udoh are expirings, Giannis 'Po - Greek Freak!

THEN

December 15th rolls around:

Trade 1 with Cleveland: Gay for Bynum and CJ Miles
    Trade 2 with Cleveland: Asik for Bennett and someone making at least $300K plus Cleveland's 2014 pick top 8 protected and Memphis 2015 pick or Sacramento 2014 pick top 12 protected

Why?

Cleveland: likely playoff team with Gay on wing and Asik in middle.

Toronto: Bynum contract is waived. Bennett and picks! Raptors can flip the Bynum contract again or they can waive him and have a bunch of cap space come draft night to possibly get another pick. More assets gives them a shot to get another higher 2014 pick.

man i could really see this and i would do it in a heartbeat

edit: the first part. i like the second part but i dunno if i could see it happening.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I'll take that. Interesting ideas. I think there's too much coming back, but I'd do that without the picks too. Bennett, Giannis and Bynum/expirings for DeMar, Amir, Lowry and Gay. Flexibility, early tank, two very talented youngsters.

Comment

One problem with your trade though, Ridnour can't be traded until Dec 15 either.

Also, I suspect the Rockets actually like Amir more than Ersan.

But something in this ball park might work yes. Though if I'm the Bucks I have no intention of trading Giannis.

If the Raptors really want to hold on and deal later, I suspect Houston would take Amir + Novak (or even Fields) for Asik anyday of the week and you might even be able to get a bit more out of them. (like say, fellow Lithuanian big man Donatas Motiejunas to pair with Jonas, Donatas is a true PF despite being 7 foot, he's like Bargs with a much tougher mentality at a much lower price.)

Comment

RollingWave wrote: View Post
          One problem with your trade though, Ridnour can't be traded until Dec 15 either.

But something in this ball park might work yes. Though if I'm the Bucks I have no intention of trading Giannis.

If the Raptors really want to hold on and deal later, I suspect Houston would take Amir + Novak (or even Fields) for Asik anyday of the week and you might even be able to get a bit more out of them.
          (like say, fellow Lithuanian big man Donatas Motiejunas to pair with Jonas, Donatas is a true PF despite being 7 foot, he's like Bargs with a much tougher mentality at a much lower price.)
          I'd have to disagree with this. They seem to be after a stretch 4. Ersan is one of the ideal fits for them. Ersan is solid defensively and a great shooter. He's a smart player who is ideal in a supporting role. Amir wouldn't be bad for the Rockets, but it seems as though they want to be able to run out 4 shooters with Howard.

And the other part too. Asik is a pretty valuable player. Houston is holding for a good offer. They may not be able to get Ersan or Ryan Anderson, and maybe they settle for a deal like Amir and Novak, but definitely not something they'd jump at. And highly doubtful they will give up multiple assets. Maybe guys they don't want to keep, but there have been no indications that they are unhappy with Motiejunas. It seems like they're developing him long-term to be a stretch 4-5.

Comment

We shall see, I suspect the entire" they want a stretch 4" thing is simply a matter of "Hey, Dwight Howard played with one in Orlando so that must be the only way it works!" jump to conclusion by the general public when Houston has shown that they don't really care about that (i.e their attempt to start both Asik and Dwight a the start of the season.)

Houston is attempting 3s at the highest rate in the league by a considerable level already, people seem to completely miss this, the argument that they need MOAR 3s seems counter intuitive to marco stats analysis (which I'm sure Morey loves) it would help if you know... they get more quality looks from 3s instead of the random jack they sometimes take, like perhaps getting someone who does nothing but screening the heck out of the opposing team...

The Rockets are 2nd in the league in total defensive rebound but bottom 5 in defensive rebound %, this crazy disparity points out that teams totally can't hit a bucket against Dwight and is taking a lot of low percentage shot against the Rockets (granted, Rudy Gay contributed to that quite a bit.) however the Rockets are doing a terrible job of boxing out and corralling rebounds.

Ersan is fine, but people miss the part that he's also injured a the moment and out indefinitely, and more over folks that don't follow him that closely don't realize how streaky he is . he started last year so bad that he lost his starting job a few games into the season, but then started to go super nova a month later the rest of the way, he's prone to do that.

Comment

Amir is so efficient and doesn't demand the ball at all. I could see him being a better compliment to beating up on the Heat than Ersan or Anderson due to his hustle and physical play. Amir is the type of compliment player on a championship team due to his heart, hustle and all around willingness to sacrifice personal statistics for team glory.

Ersan and Ryan are better shooters but Amir can shoot a bit and he certainly does the little things that win games. And he runs very well.....all the time. He's like Faried but his stats are less and his impact is more. I really hope we keep him, but if he has to go, why not for Ben Gordon and Ramon Sessions......we include Gay and they include their 1st round unconditional pick, and a second round pick in 2016 or 2017.....

Comment

RollingWave wrote: View Post

If the Raptors really want to hold on and deal later, I suspect Houston would take Amir + Novak (or even Fields) for Asik anyday of the week and you might even be able to get a bit more out of them. (like say, fellow Lithuanian big man Donatas Motiejunas to pair with Jonas, Donatas is a true PF despite being 7 foot, he's like Bargs with a much tougher mentality at a much lower price.)
                Ridnour can be traded. He ws not a free agent signing

Comment

Working...
                X