The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
    yeah, i spiraled there. i got stuck trying to think about what the girl version of meat would be. would she be kegel?

"why do they call you kegel?"
    "meet me after school and i will show you."
    "jesus, kegel. if you have sex with one more freshman you're going to get expelled."

i agree with your original premise joey, some things are for guys and some are for women. i am against remakes of movies that were done right in the first place anyway. i think that getting people to watch the originals is a better idea and gives appreciation of the history of movies. as i write this i am trying to think of a remake that was better than the original and i can't, off the top of my head.

i don't mind reboots though.
    Scarface immediately came to mind. But yeah not many others. I'm personally not a big fan of the remake either. Especially if the original was a masterpiece. Anyone remember the Pyscho remake with Vince Vaughn? That was so bad.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
      Scarface immediately came to mind. But yeah not many others. I'm personally not a big fan of the remake either. Especially if the original was a masterpiece. Anyone remember the Pyscho remake with Vince Vaughn? That was so bad.
      'they remade pacino's scarface and it was better?

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
        'they remade pacino's scarface and it was better?
        Pacino's was a remake. The original came out in the 30's or 40's.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
          Pacino's was a remake. The original came out in the 30's or 40's.
          there you go. i learned something new today. i will search out the original, thanks

Comment

• Strong likelihood that 'It' will be better (scarier) than original.

Comment

• Also, haven't seen the original, but the 2001 version of Ocean's 11 was a hit.

Comment

• Speaking of Stephen King remakes - the new Carrie (2013?) with Chloe Grace Moretz, and Julianne Moore as the mom, was a lot better than the original actually.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Also, haven't seen the original, but the 2001 version of Ocean's 11 was a hit.
                  Unfortunately, they are doing an All-Female "Oceans" and I'm not sure how it will be ... poor, I would expect (not because I'm sexist .. just because ... ya).

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                    Unfortunately, they are doing an All-Female "Oceans" and I'm not sure how it will be ... poor, I would expect (not because I'm sexist .. just because ... ya).
                    I'm not sexist either, but I do roll my eyes at something like this. What is the purpose of doing an all-female cast other than making a political statement? What's next, an all transgender Ocean's 11? All children? All Toronto Raptors?

Whatever happened to the simplicity of a great script with great casting?

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      I'm not sexist either, but I do roll my eyes at something like this. What is the purpose of doing an all-female cast other than making a political statement? What's next, an all transgender Ocean's 11? All children? All Toronto Raptors?

Whatever happened to the simplicity of a great script with great casting?
                      The only saving grace might be Sandra Bullock in the George Clooney role (edit: turns out she is Debbie Ocean, sister to Danny Ocean... laame. Lol)... which I think is pretty solid casting. She's phenomenal.
                      Last edited by Joey; Wed Sep 6, 2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

• I'm all for the all-female/girl power movies, but Lord of the Flies is about teenage masculinity and power turning boys into savages ... would the plot even make sense with girls? Lol Or as one put it:
                        That's not what Lord of the Flies is about.

And anyone who thinks putting a gaggle of girls on an isolated would end in anything but chaos has never raised girls....

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                          That's not what Lord of the Flies is about.
                          Oh ... What is it about then? Lol

Comment

Oh ... What is it about then? Lol
                            I think if you take your original sentiment and remove the qualifiers that restrict it to only males, you are right on.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                              I think if you take your original sentiment and remove the qualifiers that restrict it to only males, you are right on.
                              Fair enough. But it was only males in the original, so would my synopsis not still apply?

All of this to say, that if they wanted to make a movie about a bunch of girls getting stranded on a island, I'm all for it ... just don't understand the need to call it "Lord of the Flies", when that story and characters are well entrenched, and is a well-known masterpiece in and of itself; to be girls instead of boys would likely require dramatic changes to almost everything that makes it "Lord of the Flies". That's really my only point.
                              Last edited by Joey; Wed Sep 6, 2017, 02:27 PM.

Comment

Fair enough. But it was only males in the original, so would my synopsis not still apply?

All of this to say, that if they wanted to make a movie about a bunch of girls getting stranded on a island, I'm all for it ... just don't understand the need to call it "Lord of the Flies", when that story and characters are well entrenched, and is a well-known masterpiece in and of itself; to be girls instead of boys would likely require dramatic changes to almost everything that makes it "Lord of the Flies". That's really my only point.
                                But why? What would be unbelievable about the story if it were retold exactly as it was, with only tweaks made as are absolutely required, with the female characters delivering the same lines as the male ones?

And they will probably adjust it a bit, but to say the essence of the story will by necessity change... why? I don't get it.
                                twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Working...
                                X