The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    It's hard to find a good movie these days. An "Oscar nominee" isn't usually my cup of tea either though.

I loved the first John Wick. It's become like Die Hard.. watch it at least once a year. If you're a Wick fan check out the Accountant (Ben Affleck movie). That's pretty fun too. Logan was really good too. It was a scaled back super hero movie. Hugh Jackman was great. They need to make more Rated R super hero movies.

Wonder Woman didn't do it for me. Get Out had a neat twist but overall was meh.

Still need to see that new Star Wars movie. Split is in my queue. Generally a big M. Night fan but just haven't gotten around to it. Might try this weekend if I have time (although I'm working tomorrow). I liked Prometheus more than Alien Covenant but neither compare to the original or its sequel. Waiting on IT to arrive on DVD. Hated the Made for TV version that had the guy from Night Court in it.

A lot of really crappy movies though came out this year.

Been watching more TV this year.. it's so much easier to develop characters or stories in a TV mini-series than a movie. Caught up on Vikings last week. Also finished American Gods, Handmaid's Tale and Big Little Lies. Currently watching Tudors. Might try Punisher next. Stranger Things 2 is on my queue as well.
    I actually thought compared to the last couple years this was a very strong year for movies. I really enjoyed a lot of movies especially through the summer and winter. I agree though that many Oscar bait movies don’t do it for me either.

Not a big TV guy. I don’t have Netflix or any streaming service so I’m either watching movies in theatre or streaming them online.

Comment

• tDotted wrote: View Post
      How was Handmaid's Tale?
      I liked it.. the main actress was really good (I think she just won a Golden Globe yesterday for her performance). I like a good dystopian story though.. and I had never heard of this one before I started watching it.

I think it's worth a watch.

Comment

• I liked John Wick 2(maybe the 26er of vodka I drank that night even more). It was action packed from the beginning, and while the story line isn't very good, the action more than made up for it. Seeing guys get shot in the head and the bullet and blood splatter come out the other end? They're doing things right these days.

Looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 for my next watch.

I was expecting much more from The Dark Tower, that was a complete letdown. I missed one of the greatest College footbal games ever for that one, the Rose Bowl with OU vs UG double OT!

Comment

• Mack North wrote: View Post
          I liked John Wick 2(maybe the 26er of vodka I drank that night even more). It was action packed from the beginning, and while the story line isn't very good, the action more than made up for it. Seeing guys get shot in the head and the bullet and blood splatter come out the other end? They're doing things right these days.

Looking forward to Blade Runner 2049 for my next watch.

I was expecting much more from The Dark Tower, that was a complete letdown. I missed one of the greatest College footbal games ever for that one, the Rose Bowl with OU vs UG double OT!
          I really wanted the dark tower to be good but man the first act was some of the worst filmmaking I’ve ever seen.

Comment

• My 5 favourite movies of 2017 that you should see but probably won't:

1. A Ghost Story. Not my favourite movie of the year but top 3 for sure. Beautiful, unique, thought-provoking, wonderfully made and challenging. Definitely not everyone's thing, though. For art house movie lovers only. Turn off the lights. Turn of the phone and computer. Tell the wife and kids to go to a hotel and focus on this masterpiece for 90 minutes.

2. The Lost City of Z. Tired of fucking superhero moviesbut still want a big adventure story? Maybe even something that isn't the usual superhero movie garbage? This is the movie for you.

3. Three Billboards Outside..... May be the best movie of the year when all is said and done. An actual movie that uses characters with motivations and personalities that aren't always black and white to tell a heart wrenching story. Probably helps if you grew up in a small town to really get it.

4. The Shape of Water. No one saw this movie. No idea why. A movie only Del Toro could make well. The ending was a bit too much but I liked it nonetheless.

5. Mudbound. Another one that definitely won't have mass appeal but that I really enjoyed.

Speaking of.. two more Netflix movies I stumbled across and loved: Gerald's Game and Jerry Before Seinfeld. My other picks (only things I saw):

1. Most overrated movie: Tie. Captain Wonder Woman the First Justice Leaguer and Get Out.
            2. Weirdest Movie: The Killing of a Sacred Deer (this movie is fucked up and will make you feel crappy, awful and depressed)
            3. Favourite Guilty Pleasure: John Wick 2.
            4. Most Pretentious Movie that Failed Miserably with its High Concept: mother!!!!
            5. Worst Movie (big budget): Justice League.
            6. Worst Movie (low budget): Wish Upon
            7. Most disappointing movie: It.
            8. Movie I thought I would have liked more but was lukewarm about: Tie. Dunkirk and Blade Runner.

Comment

• Ghost Story was really good. Here are some others that I enjoyed (in no particular order):

1. A Monster Calls. - Story for kids, but I liked the message at the end. Most kid actors suck, but the one in this one was really good. It's a movie I put on before bed to have in the background.

2. Arrival - not generally an Amy Adams fan.. but she was great. Although technically this came out in 2016 I think. I saw it in 2017 so it's on my list lol

3. Incarnate - was expecting a lot worse and maybe that's why it's on my list.

4. A Dog's Purpose - for the dog lover's out there. Made me think of my girl.

5. Logan - muted rated R super hero movie.. wish they could make another. Best Wolverine movie ever made. Hugh Jackman was really good in this one too.

6. Baywatch (just kidding.. this was the worse piece of shit I saw this year).

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                My 5 favourite movies of 2017 that you should see but probably won't:

1. A Ghost Story. Not my favourite movie of the year but top 3 for sure. Beautiful, unique, thought-provoking, wonderfully made and challenging. Definitely not everyone's thing, though. For art house movie lovers only. Turn off the lights. Turn of the phone and computer. Tell the wife and kids to go to a hotel and focus on this masterpiece for 90 minutes.

2. The Lost City of Z. Tired of fucking superhero moviesbut still want a big adventure story? Maybe even something that isn't the usual superhero movie garbage? This is the movie for you.

3. Three Billboards Outside..... May be the best movie of the year when all is said and done. An actual movie that uses characters with motivations and personalities that aren't always black and white to tell a heart wrenching story. Probably helps if you grew up in a small town to really get it.

4. The Shape of Water. No one saw this movie. No idea why. A movie only Del Toro could make well. The ending was a bit too much but I liked it nonetheless.

5. Mudbound. Another one that definitely won't have mass appeal but that I really enjoyed.

Speaking of.. two more Netflix movies I stumbled across and loved: Gerald's Game and Jerry Before Seinfeld. My other picks (only things I saw):

1. Most overrated movie: Tie. Captain Wonder Woman the First Justice Leaguer and Get Out.
                2. Weirdest Movie: The Killing of a Sacred Deer (this movie is fucked up and will make you feel crappy, awful and depressed)
                3. Favourite Guilty Pleasure: John Wick 2.
                4. Most Pretentious Movie that Failed Miserably with its High Concept: mother!!!!
                5. Worst Movie (big budget): Justice League.
                6. Worst Movie (low budget): Wish Upon
                7. Most disappointing movie: It.
                8. Movie I thought I would have liked more but was lukewarm about: Tie. Dunkirk and Blade Runner.
                I really want to see Three Billboards and shape of Water. I saw the lost city of Z and thought it was supremely boring. It looked alright but there was nothing special about it. I actually forgot I had watched it. It’s a shame you didn’t love Blade Runner like I did. What did you think of the original?

Comment

• Surprised you guys didn't like John Wick 2, action wise it was way better than the first. Those two films are easily some of the best action movies ever made, basically the hitman movie we've always wanted.

Comment

• Maury wrote: View Post
                    I really want to see Three Billboards and shape of Water. I saw the lost city of Z and thought it was supremely boring. It looked alright but there was nothing special about it. I actually forgot I had watched it. It’s a shame you didn’t love Blade Runner like I did. What did you think of the original?
                    Oh no, a discussion with a Blade Runner fan! Run! I appreciated the first Blade Runner. I get it. But I don't know that I ever really liked it. I hadn't watched it for probably 10 years and I re-watched before the new one came out. Again, I appreciated it but there really isn't any story and the characters don't appeal to me. So, while I get it, I never really liked it. I think I would have enjoyed it more had it been told from the perspective of the renegade synthetics as opposed to Harrison Ford's "character".

I thought the new one did a really good job of taking the feel from the first movie while trying to fix a lot of the story/character problems the first movie had. And mostly succeeded. And, again, while I appreciate the movie-making, the pacing became problematic at certain points and I found myself drifting in and out of paying attention to what was going on.

Don't get me wrong. The new movie is good and I would recommend people see it but these movies just aren't favourites of mine....

Comment

• Just saw CoCo with my daughter. Wrecked me. Really well done family movie. Pixar remains undefeated.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• I'm in. I don't care how dumb the stereotypes are. I'm so in.

Comment

• Comment

• BR:2049 getting lots of love in the Technical cats at the Oscars with 5 noms, but no Best Picture or Best Director. Disappointed.

Comment

• Joey wrote: View Post
                              I'm in. I don't care how dumb the stereotypes are. I'm so in.
                              I want to watch this right MOW!

Comment

• Watched Jumanji this weekend with the wife. It was really funny and entertaining the whole way through. Pretty creative writing.

Comment

Working...
                                X