The Movie Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Joey wrote: View Post
    Everything that I've seen so far for JL has looked stellar, in my opinion. So I'd have no issue with Joss not reworking the whole thing.
    Yeah but you're a DC fanboy so you might have blinders.

The total number of good films to come from the DC universe that don't start with the title "Batman..." is lower than Trump's credibility rating. Therefore all films are subject to intense scrutiny and disdain until proven otherwise.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
      Yeah but you're a DC fanboy so you might have blinders.

The total number of good films to come from the DC universe that don't start with the title "Batman..." is lower than Trump's credibility rating. Therefore all films are subject to intense scrutiny and disdain until proven otherwise.
      Disagree on all fronts. :P Lol

PS As if I got called a "fanboy". You're just a Marvel fanboy hater. Lol

Comment

• Unfortunately he's right, DC has done a piss poor job with their cinematic universe. They don't have a big picture like marvel does, Marvel mapped this all out while DC is just lookin to cash out on the superhero genre.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Unfortunately he's right, DC has done a piss poor job with their cinematic universe. They don't have a big picture like marvel does, Marvel mapped this all out while DC is just lookin to cash out on the superhero genre.
          this is where i disagree. i will agree that WB is about cashing out but snyder clearly mapped it all out and marvel's map out is just leave easter eggs that serve as advertising for the next movie.

Comment

• There isn't a single Zack Snyder film that I can honestly say I loved.

Comment

• Nilanka wrote: View Post
              There isn't a single Zack Snyder film that I can honestly say I loved.
              I thought 300 was really good. Otherwise I agree.
              twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                I thought it was OK. Although I saw it late, and it was overhyped beyond control before I even sat down.

Comment

• NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
                  Unfortunately he's right, DC has done a piss poor job with their cinematic universe. They don't have a big picture like marvel does, Marvel mapped this all out while DC is just lookin to cash out on the superhero genre.
                  "Like Marvel does"? MoS did bigger numbers than Iron Man ... not only that, they're only 3 films in ... Marvel made some pretty crap movies early on as well - Did people really forget about Ang Lee's Hulk, which was supposed to kick off the whole MCU?? Or Iron Man 2? Or Iron Man 3? Even Thor Dark World was pretty damn underwhelming. None of this to say that I'm not a huge fan of the MCU and what Marvel has done, but people expecting happy, bright, action-comedies for DC movies, just because Marvel did it that way, are always going to be disappointed. That's not DC, and never has been (unless we're talking Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, then for sure).

Give me MoS or BvS over those MCU movies I listed above any day, hands down. And as I've said, Wonder Woman and Justice League both look stellar, but I will of course reserve my opinion until I've seen them. And as Miek said, I completely disagree that DC didn't have a plan. They've just got a different plan than Marvel ... which in my mind, is a good thing.
                  Last edited by Joey; Wed May 24, 2017, 12:33 PM.

Comment

"Like Marvel does"? MoS did bigger numbers than Iron Man ... not only that, they're only 3 films in ... Marvel made some pretty crap movies early on as well - Did people really forget about Ang Lee's Hulk, which was supposed to kick off the whole MCU?? Or Iron Man 2? Or Iron Man 3? Even Thor Dark World was pretty damn underwhelming. None of this to say that I'm not a huge fan of the MCU and what Marvel has done, but people expecting happy, bright, action-comedies for DC movies, just because Marvel did it that way, are always going to be disappointed. That's not DC, and never has been (unless we're talking Booster Gold and Blue Beetle, then for sure).

Give me MoS or BvS over those MCU movies I listed above any day, hands down. And as I've said, Wonder Woman and Justice League both look stellar, but I will of course reserve my opinion until I've seen them. And as Miek said, I completely disagree that DC didn't have a plan. They've just got a different plan than Marvel ... which in my mind, is a good thing.
                    Yes, Marvel has some duds, like really bad duds. But they also have some pretty stellar ones. That is where DC lacks - their best is mediocre.
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• I'm very curious to see how Wonder Woman does. That woman is a god awful actress and I can't believe they gave her a feature film to lead but I guess we'll find out if she can carry it (I have my doubts). Mostly, I'm hoping they've let the writer and director create an actual new character and not just Nolan-ized her into Female Batman. What gives me some hope is that Allan Heinberg wrote the screenplay and he's absolutely not from the DC/WB universe and Patty Jenkins of Monster fame definitely isn't Zack Snyder...... if the WB suits stayed out of the way then perhaps we'll get something decent.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
                        I'm very curious to see how Wonder Woman does. That woman is a god awful actress and I can't believe they gave her a feature film to lead but I guess we'll find out if she can carry it (I have my doubts). Mostly, I'm hoping they've let the writer and director create an actual new character and not just Nolan-ized her into Female Batman. What gives me some hope is that Allan Heinberg wrote the screenplay and he's absolutely not from the DC/WB universe and Patty Jenkins of Monster fame definitely isn't Zack Snyder...... if the WB suits stayed out of the way then perhaps we'll get something decent.
                        Everything I've heard in terms of early reviews suggests that Gadot shines in the role.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• DanH wrote: View Post
                          Nilanka wrote: View Post
                          I thought it was OK. Although I saw it late, and it was overhyped beyond control before I even sat down.

lol. i didn't like 300. watchmen i enjoyed but i wasn't a watchmen comic reader. i do read dc comics and really enjoyed man of steel and bvs. i would put them both in my top 5 super hero movies with x2, spiderman 2, and avengers. ironman 1 was also really good though so that might have been a lie, maybe top 6.

my problem with marvel is that every movie is the same. i will always pay to watch superheroes but i think that if you layered all the marvel movies over each other since ironman that the action and jokes would sync up pretty closely.

edit add: i also really liked spawn and would love the exact same movie done again with now's technology
                          Last edited by Miekenstien; Thu May 25, 2017, 01:23 AM.

Comment

i liked the first hulk movie until the final battle. the idea of hulk dogs was dumb but the fight was cool to me. i also really liked that that hulk continuously got bigger and bigger. i really liked norton's hulk, especially his banner, and was upset when they recast but new hulk is done right but i don't like the banner.

Comment

• Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              lol. i didn't like 300. watchmen i enjoyed but i wasn't a watchmen comic reader. i do read dc comics and really enjoyed man of steel and bvs. i would put them both in my top 5 super hero movies with x2, spiderman 2, and avengers. ironman 1 was also really good though so that might have been a lie, maybe top 6.

my problem with marvel is that every movie is the same. i will always pay to watch superheroes but i think that if you layered all the marvel movies over each other since ironman that the action and jokes would sync up pretty closely.

edit add: i also really liked spawn and would love the exact same movie done again with now's technology
                              100% agree with the bolded. It's VERY formulaic at this point. But hey, whatever works.

Also agree about MoS and BvS being right up there as favourites.

AND I also agree that Spawn deserves another go on the big screen. So much there to work with. And just looking at the Wikipedia page for Spawn, I found this gem:
                              "In early 2015, Todd McFarlane announced a new Spawn adaptation for the big screen. In February 2016 McFarlane confirmed he had completed the script for the film with a larger-than-normal page count because he's "putting in details for myself" in conjunction with his hopes to direct."

Another update from McFarlane himself from this past March:
                              “Listen, I’m going to paint it for you. The movie is going to be a dark R… If here’s PG-13 and here’s Deadpool and here’s Logan, we’re going to be here. It’s going to be dark. It’s going to be nasty.”
                              http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/new...7-spawn-reboot

Miekenstien wrote: View Post
                              i liked the first hulk movie until the final battle. the idea of hulk dogs was dumb but the fight was cool to me. i also really liked that that hulk continuously got bigger and bigger. i really liked norton's hulk, especially his banner, and was upset when they recast but new hulk is done right but i don't like the banner.
                              To continue with the agreements, I agree that Nortons Banner was good, and I would have been more than happy if they'd carried him forward, but it just goes to show how much they tried to distance themselves from that initial POS movie. Lol That all said, I actually really do like Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk as well. More 'human' and nuanced

Comment

To continue with the agreements, I agree that Nortons Banner was good, and I would have been more than happy if they'd carried him forward, but it just goes to show how much they tried to distance themselves from that initial POS movie. Lol That all said, I actually really do like Ruffalo's Banner/Hulk as well. More 'human' and nuanced
                                My problem with ruffalo's banner is not the interpretation but the doses. I don't think the public wants a bunch of banner heavy hulk stories but I like when the hulk breaks free at unfortunate times. As long as hulk is always a side kick we won't get any banner development. I was completely fine with the introduction and how he has come to accept the hulk isn't going anywhere. The Norton movie was exactly what i wanted in a hulk movie until the abomination showed up. One of the best marvel moments so far is hulk/Roth face off followed by casual kick into next week.

Hulk/ironman fight was great, my favourite heroes fight is still Thor/ironman from avengers 1. When I heard hulk was in ragnarok I was really really hoping that hulk was going to get mind controlled by Loki and smash the shit out of Asgard. I wanted planet hulk to be a stand alone and then after infinity wars to transition into world war hulk. I thought with the inhumans being introduced, dr. Strange, and maybe after spiderman does well the fantastic 4 coming back that the Illuminati angle could have been done as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X