Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pele wrote: View Post
    Also,

There's a lot of teams in tank mode, it seems. (Boston, Utah, Sac) There's also a lot of teams with a "win now" approach. (Miami, OKC, Indy)

The Raptors, as we all feared, are stuck hopelessly in between. If the tank for the 2014 draft gets too crowded, why not go the other direction and get veterans that give us a good chance to sneak a division championship in the next couple years.

That was kind of my thinking.

Btw, I really appreciate Matt52's breakdown and analysis. He's why I ask these questions in the first place.
    No problem dude!

At least someone finds value in something I type! lol

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      No problem dude!

At least someone finds value in something I type! lol
      Dude, he didn't say he found "VALUE" in your breakdown and analysis. He said he "APPRECIATED" them. Maybe because when you lay everything out like that, it's easier to pick apart.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
        Dude, he didn't say he found "VALUE" in your breakdown and analysis. He said he "APPRECIATED" them. Maybe because when you lay everything out like that, it's easier to pick apart.
        By the way, your avatar rocks.

Only thing better than 1 tank is 10.

Comment

Green Maple Leaf wrote: View Post
          This debate was completely dismantled when the Raps hired Ujiri wasn't it? Isn't that the whole point of hiring him, to rebuild the franchise? I honestly just don't get it, if a person is for the Raptors tanking in order to get a high draft pick then that person probably doesn't really like basketball, but rather they like the look of basketball. A person who thinks like this doesn't enjoy watching a good hard played game, but rather the sexyness of a stat sheet. In all honesty I think allot of Raptor fans have been sucked into this IDIOTIC modern basketball game show. How many of these experts just completely shit on the Raptors, and then Raptors fans jump on board with the experts and shit talk their own team!? How about we start shit talking these experts and stick true with your team. Its bad when even the refs have a bias towards the Raptors. I've seen refs calling against the Raptors for so long now that I am getting ready to bail on this corrupt league. Last night against Brooklyn was a prime example, the refs lost the game for them. If I didn't have an allegiance to my Raptors I would say goodbye to the NBA and just support local sports.
          The discussion here is about rebuilding a franchise into a perennial contender, where making the playoffs is a given, not a goal.

I like the informed, intelligent comments made on this blog. I think it proves that the Raptors fans are geared toward the nuts and bolts of a winning team, not just shallow band-wagonites who are more impressed with style than substance.

Also, I'm not sure that we can accuse the NBA of some conspiracy against the Raptors until the Raps have actually put out a winning product for a lengthy sample size. This hasn't happened yet.

Comment

15strong wrote: View Post
            the 2016 rebranding will require a team
            1. on the tip of a deep playoff run
            2. push to make the playoff after temporay fix (2014/2015)
            3. preparing to make a major splash in trade or F/A - example Brookyn Nets rebranding with DWill signing, Joe J trade and Lopez resign..

MU & TL will need to make one of these happen.. if i was betting I would say #1 is their option..
            as you want your new brand everywhere.. on the tip of the everyone tongue and they want a piece of it..
            The problem is, how do you get there?

- Tanking + rebuilding is unlikely to do that in that time frame
            - its unlikely we have the trade assets to make the team that good, particularily without giving up significant long term peices (Jonas, our limited first round draft picks)
            - no cap space of note for 2 years (depending on Gay) and if the team does its because of major changes (Lowry, Gay, Amir possibly gone), and even if that happens what is the likelyhood of signing players good enough to get this team into a deep playoff run?

If we assume Masai/TL want some significant change for 2016, I'd say #2 is the most likely alternative. I'd also say its the least valuable to the team.

I think whatever this team's goals are, need to look well past 2016. If something happens to become available along the way, then great. But I just don't see how any plan to get there as feasible. It will absolutely require an out of the ordinary and historically improbable event for that to take place.

Comment

You don't necessarily need a team thats winning, but you do need a team headed in that direction with great, legit, young talent to focus upon. If Toronto can march a couple people out on the allstar platform when the game is here it would be huge for the team...be that rookie sophomore, or the big game itself, the focus is entirely positive. But remember, that is only a small thing in the grand scheme. If your focus is on ANYTHING but staying the course of whatever rebuild plan you have in place, just so you can somehow gain a few marketing points at a meaningless Allstar show, than you won't really be as successful as you might like in the long run.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                You don't necessarily need a team thats winning, but you do need a team headed in that direction with great, legit, young talent to focus upon. If Toronto can march a couple people out on the allstar platform when the game is here it would be huge for the team...be that rookie sophomore, or the big game itself, the focus is entirely positive. But remember, that is only a small thing in the grand scheme. If your focus is on ANYTHING but staying the course of whatever rebuild plan you have in place, just so you can somehow gain a few marketing points at a meaningless Allstar show, than you won't really be as successful as you might like in the long run.
                I agree mostly. But to play devil's advocate, the raptors desperately need every marketing point they can get in this league.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

...If Toronto can march a couple people out on the allstar platform when the game is here it would be huge for the team...be that rookie sophomore, or the big game itself, the focus is entirely positive.....
                  Remember, fans vote in the all-stars. With the game being held in Toronto for the first time, are Canadian more likely to vote for players from the only team playing in Canada? Or are they likely to vote overwhelmingly for Canadian players, snubbing some established franchise players? What would they NBA's reaction be if some Canadian players were threatening to displace real stars? And I mean Canadian players who will not be stars at that time.

Comment

there arent enough canadian fans that it would make a difference, and the ones that are there, vote for canadians no matter where the game is being played.

Comment

there arent enough canadian fans that it would make a difference, and the ones that are there, vote for canadians no matter where the game is being played.
                      There might be a lot more Canadian fans put in an appearance the year after Wiggins has entered the league, especially if the All-Star game is being played in Toronto.

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                        There might be a lot more Canadian fans put in an appearance the year after Wiggins has entered the league, especially if the All-Star game is being played in Toronto.
                        even still, our population is just way lower than the states. we don't have that many votes to leverage
                        "Bruno?
                        Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                        He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Why are we talking about Wiggins as if he's on our team...?

Comment

Nosike wrote: View Post
                            Why are we talking about Wiggins as if he's on our team...?
                            Nobody is. The conversation is about Canadians voting for Canadian NBA players into the upcoming NBA All-Star Game being played in Canada, regardless of which team the player(s) is on.

Comment

Working...
                            X