Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Can't Casey Take Control of This Team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Looks like he's taking control of it in another way..

Via Twitter:
    @WolstatSun: Via @Mike_Ganter Dwane Casey hinted today that the starting lineup is going to change. Expectation is Valanciunas out, Hansbrough in.
    I don't really like seeing JV out of the starting lineup, but it wouldn't be a bad idea. It would potentially help him build up his confidence and get his head on straight by going at 2nd unit guys. On top of that, he'd probably get the ball more since most of the guys off the bench aren't as ball-dominant as Rudy and DD.
    Whether bringing him off the bench will limit his growth, I'm not sure. I hope not.
    OG is our king

Comment

DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry have been the only guys worthy of starting and btw I called it that Tyler would be taking Amir's job.

Comment

So the plan is to give Jonas even fewer minutes in favour of Hansbrough because Hansbrough helps create more opportunities for Rudy and DeMar?

This is either the worst decision ever or a last-ditch attempt to increase Rudy's trade value, and frankly I hope it's the latter.

Comment

Brandon wrote:
          I don't want "heads rolling". I don't think you need someone coaching the way Knight did. Being a jerk is not the same thing as being a good coach.

NBA coaches are interchangeable, as has been proven over and over again by the data we have.

http://wagesofwins.com/2012/11/26/ev...s-wrong-redux/
          The article states that 14 out of 62 coaches, or 22.5%, had significant impact on individual performance.

22.5%. More than 1 out of 5. Ain't nothing to sneeze at if you ask me.

Edit: And for whatever reason, Berri himself added the word 'only', when saying 'only 14 out of the 62 coaches', which I find strange, because 22.5% isn't a statistically insignificant number. By writing 'only', he makes a value judgement that isn't justified. This is the second straight Berri article that I've found to be a little suspect.
          Last edited by JimiCliff; Sat Nov 30, 2013, 07:33 PM.
          "Stop eating your sushi."
          "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
          "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Comment

Brandon wrote:
              Can you explain to me what difference, in a rough win total or winning percentage, you think the best coach in the history of mankind would be making with this roster as compared to the current staff?
              5 games over the course of season.
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Brandon wrote:
                Can you explain to me what difference, in a rough win total or winning percentage, you think the best coach in the history of mankind would be making with this roster as compared to the current staff?
                i think we can win around 45 gms with this team if its coached by SVG or Lionel H...and if we add a legit back up PG

first round exit though

Comment

I think the impact of coaching is underrated here. Is Spoelestra a great coach? Hard to say because he has a lot of talent on his roster, but not giving him some credit for the success of the Heat would not be fair. Not all coaches can win championships with a bunch of talented players. The best coaches have to manage the ego's that go along with the talented guys, and that is just as tough as designing the appropriate offensive or defensive system in many cases. Remember, the Heat started slow when the big3 came together, and many were wondering if Spoelestra was the right guy to lead them. A part of that slow start was due to chemistry issues btw the big3, and it's on the coaches shoulders to make sure those types of things get figured out. That being said, I'm sure there are many coaches that may have success in Miami...but how about the Kobe/Shaq Lakers? D'Antoni couldn't make a Kobe/Howard marriage work, I wonder if Phil Jackson could have? He could have very well been the only coach around that could have gotten Kobe and Shaq to play together well enough to win championships.

So it always isn't about systems, schemes, video and analytics and all that stuff...a great coach is great because he/she can successfully manage the ego's on a team, and this becomes more important with the more talent you have on the team.

I think it's foolish to think that the right coach (whoever that may be) could not get this current Raps roster to perform better than it has. IMO, most teams in the league underachieve, and those that don't ususally have good coaches that demand respect from their players.

Comment

Hollins said watching other teams play different styles has re-invigorated him.

"My identity was tied to the team's identity," Hollins said of his defensive-minded, slow-paced, "grit-grind" teams in Memphis. "But the only things I'd like to be tied to were that they were tough, they were aggressive, and they never quit. The rest of it was because of who they [the Grizzlies roster] were. They were a very physical, inside dominant team. That's why we played that way. We weren't a great team in terms of taking care of the ball when we played fast, so we slowed it down.

"When I first came to Memphis I wanted to run, and we tried to run, but it just wasn't the makeup of the team. Being out allows me to go and look at the up-tempo teams and different styles of ball movement and playing side to side that we kind of got away from because we had a dominant set of big people inside and we took advantage of it. The next team I get may not be that way. So I want to make sure I'm prepared to play whatever style is necessary for us to play."
                    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...n-nba-coaching

I betcha Lionel Hollins could take control of this team.... next year.

Comment

Matt, why do you think he doesn't have control? Who says the players aren't doing exactly what they're told?

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                        Matt, why do you think he doesn't have control? Who says the players aren't doing exactly what they're told?
                        Just rolling with the thread.

As to your questions, I don't know the answers.

Bottom line: Casey needs to go later (not back next year) if not sooner (mid season).

Comment

LOL. Casey called out the reserves after today's game. I dont think they played that bad to be honest. Ross with 10pts(pretty much his average), Novak 6pts(pretty much his average) and one of their key bench guy is now starting in Hansbrough.

If you're gonna start calling out your own players then you have to call out Rudy Gay who's been beyond horrible since game 1.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

Really does firing Casey get us anywhere this season? No

Let him ride it out and bring in a veteran coach next summer.

Comment

He's doing a fine job supporting #TankNation, so I say let him ride it out as well.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                                LOL. Casey called out the reserves after today's game. I dont think they played that bad to be honest. Ross with 10pts(pretty much his average), Novak 6pts(pretty much his average) and one of their key bench guy is now starting in Hansbrough.

If you're gonna start calling out your own players then you have to call out Rudy Gay who's been beyond horrible since game 1.
                                Casey is a lightweight. I said it last year when he threw Val and Ross under the bus rather than the guys who were the actual problem. There's a history with this coach and calling out easy targets. It's in line with moving Amir to the bench. Yeah, that was the problem. Now it's all better. Who's the easiest guy in the starting 5 to bench? Right.

Comment

Working...
                                X