Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaking hands after games? (Cousins rejects Redick)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaking hands after games? (Cousins rejects Redick)

http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/30/dem...th-j-j-redick/

I was just curious about what everyone's stance on the whole shaking hands after games to show sportsmanship. Do you guys thing DMC was an immature sore loser for not shaking hands? Or do you guys approve of his competitive "no friends" mentality?

Personally, imo, I like his no friends attitude. You're not paid to make friends in the NBA. You're paid to play basketball, be competitive and win. Some say that shaking hands makes you a more mature and better person, but that won't help you win or become a better basketball player. It is purely business. Thoughts? Disagreements?

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
    http://thebiglead.com/2013/11/30/dem...th-j-j-redick/

I was just curious about what everyone's stance on the whole shaking hands after games to show sportsmanship. Do you guys thing DMC was an immature sore loser for not shaking hands? Or do you guys approve of his competitive "no friends" mentality?

Personally, imo, I like his no friends attitude. You're not paid to make friends in the NBA. You're paid to play basketball, be competitive and win. Some say that shaking hands makes you a more mature and better person, but that won't help you win or become a better basketball player. It is purely business. Thoughts? Disagreements?
    Although I don't totally disagree with what you're saying, I also think that it's entirely possible to play and your highest level of competitiveness and still be able to turn it off after the whistle, and show the good sportsmanship of shaking hands with your opponents.

None of this, though, applies to Cousins. He's just a buffoon.
    "Stop eating your sushi."
    "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
    "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
    - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Well, I think it shows good sportsmanship to shake hands. I don't care too much about it, and I don't expect them to do it at the end of the games. I think before the game is good though....And....

For this specific case, it was not after the game. I think that's the thing. I remember reading about this earlier today. Didn't Cousins just commit a hard foul on Redick? I think then it would be ok to shake hands. You shouldn't actually want your opponent to be hurt, and it's good recognition to shake hands or whatever, because it's like "hey man, didn't mean to injure you. You ok? Good", and move on. In this instance, I would say it's poor sportsmanship, because Redick really fell hard on the play, intent or not.

More of the action that led to the moment:
      http://www.beyondthebuzzer.com/2013/...es-shake-hand/

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
        Although I don't totally disagree with what you're saying, I also think that it's entirely possible to play and your highest level of competitiveness and still be able to turn it off after the whistle, and show the good sportsmanship of shaking hands with your opponents.

None of this, though, applies to Cousins. He's just a buffoon.
        While I agree that it's entirely possible, I don't see how you can call him a buffoon purely based on no shaking hands with someone. If he chooses not to shake his hand, that's perfectly fine. You make it sound like he asked for a handshake and rejected Redick's handshake at the last second. I don't understand why people think Cousins is immature for doing this, but when other players, such as Hibbert and Garnett, do it, it's perfectly fine. I think people only cry "immature" to Cousins over this because he's done other stupid immature shit in the past. While those other things make him look immature, I don't see how this makes him a buffoon...
        Last edited by Blacklash2k4; Sat Nov 30, 2013, 08:19 PM.

Comment

While I agree that it's entirely possible, I don't see how you can call him a buffoon purely based on no shaking hands with someone. If he chooses not to shake his hand, that's perfectly fine. You make it sound like he asked for a handshake and rejected Redick's handshake at the last second. I don't understand why people think Cousins is immature for doing this, but when other players, such as Hibbert and Garnett, do it, it's perfectly fine. I think people only cry "immature" to Cousins over this because he's done other stupid immature shit in the past. While those other things make him look immature, I don't see how this makes him a buffoon...
          Sorry, maybe I should have explained this more completely. Since he came into the league, he's acted like a petulant child towards his team management, coaches, teammates, opponents, refs, hell, even broadcasters. Basically every position occupiable in the NBA. That's why I think he's a buffoon.
          - Jack Armstrong

Comment

JimiCliff wrote: View Post
            Sorry, maybe I should have explained this more completely. Since he came into the league, he's acted like a petulant child towards his team management, coaches, teammates, opponents, refs, hell, even broadcasters. Basically every position occupiable in the NBA. That's why I think he's a buffoon.
            And like I said, I don't think think this was a buffoon-ish act. That's where I'm confused. Do you think this makes him immature or not? Would you consider this one of his actions that give him the description of a petulant child?

Comment

And like I said, I don't think think this was a buffoon-ish act. That's where I'm confused. Do you think this makes him immature or not? Would you consider this one of his actions that give him the description of a petulant child?
              In isolation: no.

Taken in context when considering all of his previous behaviour: yes. I think it's all coming from the same place.
              - Jack Armstrong

Comment

What are you having a hard time with? It's a Dick move.

Comment

Craig wrote: View Post
                  What are you having a hard time with? It's a Dick move.
                  How is it a dick move? You don't even justify why it's a dick move. He didn't ask for a handshake. It was Redick's fault to be honest. He already knows that Cousins doesn't like shaking hands with the opponent especially after he dragged Thomas away from Paul (Redick's own teammate) to prevent him from shaking hands. I wouldn't be surprised if Redick did it on purpose just to get a reaction from Cousins.

Comment

Cousins is Cousins he's always like this. But if there's one thing I love about basketball is that there's a high level of respect.

(Hockey comparison here it comes)
                    Disrespect the ref your out disrespect the guy on the other team your out. In hockey the only way your out is if you give someone a Goddamn concussion (exaggerated a bit but allow me)

I don't care you can be buddy buddy after the game it doesn't bother most the fans(atleast not me). Some guy on the ''Starters'' said how fans don't like it when players shake hands after the games and how it shouldn't be like this and they should go straight to the locker rooms and yadayadaya. It's part of the game that 'sportsman ship' type thing that most sports lack and that's just the beauty of this game. But honestly it's one guy, who cares

but if other guys seem to pick it up and not shake hands then that's a different story.
                    What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                    The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                    No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

How is it a dick move? You don't even justify why it's a dick move. He didn't ask for a handshake. It was Redick's fault to be honest. He already knows that Cousins doesn't like shaking hands with the opponent especially after he dragged Thomas away from Paul (Redick's own teammate) to prevent him from shaking hands. I wouldn't be surprised if Redick did it on purpose just to get a reaction from Cousins.
                      Bud, you need to relax and try to understand that Nobody has to justify say that looking off a handshake, the universal symbol of sportsmanship, is a dick move. Honestly, how the fuck do you not know that?

clearly another generational extinction, the understanding of respect and sportsmanship.

Comment

To be clear, this didn't happen at the end of the game. To my understanding, Cousins pushed Reddick on a rebound attempt, giving Reddick a broken hand and ligament tear (out 6-8 weeks). Reddick went to shake cousin's hand afterwards to say no hard feelings to which Cousin ignored and muttered something to him.

Comment

This is cousins not letting Thomas shake Paul's hand after the game.

Comment

Krix wrote: View Post
                            To be clear, this didn't happen at the end of the game. To my understanding, Cousins pushed Reddick on a rebound attempt, giving Reddick a broken hand and ligament tear (out 6-8 weeks). Reddick went to shake cousin's hand afterwards to say no hard feelings to which Cousin ignored and muttered something to him.

Yeah, context matters big time. As I said in my earlier post, it's one thing for a guy to not want to shake hands with his opponent after the game.

But when there's this kind of physical play, even if it doesn't result in an injury, it's not just good, but I think expected sportsmanship to shake hands or share some words along the lines of "no hard feelings". He doesn't even have to be that nice, he can be like "glad you're ok so I can keep beating the crap out of you out here on teh court". Basically he can even trash talk while checking on the guy.

Comment

Working...
                            X